Getting a discount on council tax?

if you're on tax credits I think you can get you're council tax reduced a bit. Anyone done this got any advice?

Comments

• Council Tax Benefit was scrapped and now every Council run their own individual scheme with its own rules so nobody will be able to give you an answer. They will treat any Tax Credits as income when calculating any reduction. The schemes run by local councils are not as generous as the previous national scheme it replaced.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • Council tax benefit still exist for those getting state pension. The schemes vary wildly from council to council.
    AFAIK there is no special reduction for tax credits??
  • venison wrote: »
    Council tax benefit still exist for those getting state pension. The schemes vary wildly from council to council.
    AFAIK there is no special reduction for tax credits??

No Council Tax Benefit was abolished and replaced by Local Council Tax Support. Pensioners were protected and awarded Council Tax Support as if they were still getting Council Tax Benefit under the old rules.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    textbook wrote: »
    if you're on tax credits I think you can get you're council tax reduced a bit. Anyone done this got any advice?

I get a very small discount as I'm a low earner since part time+I get wtc's
    The discount since 2017 was approx £5 per month and during 2018 when my wtc's increased my council tax discount was lowered and council,tax increased considerably.
    Local council tax team already had my wtc increase info.
    Maybe it's something, not much to take notice of t.b.h.
    No complaints from myself -call your local coucil tax team and ask them.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500.
  • Most council websites will have a calculator that will help give you an estimate. Go to their site and try it out.

The only way your going to get an exact figure is by applying, giving all information asked and see what the response you get.

All in all, any help is help after all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport