Housing benefit suspended and they are refusing to deal with it

Options

Comments

• Nooney123456789
    Options
    sparkycat2 wrote: »
    Many energy companies routinely do credit checks on new customers.
    To determines if they will let them pay by direct debt. Or if they will require them to have a pre-payment meter.

Ok thanks.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    JoCha wrote: »
    I was not talking to you NeilCR - you just asked a question, which is fair enough.

Re advice, the only thing I could really think of would be Citizen's Advice. I've found them very helpful in the past.

You do realise how these forums work don't you? People come on here for advice, not to be directed elsewhere.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • caroline231
    caroline231 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2018 at 2:18PM
    Options
    I'm not subletting, The bills are addressed to 'The Occupier' and as the occupier, I don't feel the need to give my details out.

The tenancy is in my name and has been for the last 4 years.

They say that the letter was addressed correctly.

After spending the day complaining they have reinstated my claim with no further action and are investigating the actions of a couple of staff members who have 'fallen below an acceptable level of service' I am working with the head of the department and the Chief Exec's Office to resolve this.

Complaining can be extremely effective if done correctly!
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

After spending the day complaining they have reinstated my claim with no further action and are investigating the actions of a couple of staff members who have 'fallen below an acceptable level of service' I am working with the head of the department and the Chief Exec's Office to resolve this.

Suuuuuuuuure. :T
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    You do realise how these forums work don't you? People come on here for advice, not to be directed elsewhere.

Correct in that they come here for advice, and in this instance the advice was to speak to CAB. That same advice has been given to many people on many occasions, was all that advice wrong?
  • pepper77_2
    pepper77_2 Posts: 2,997 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I received an email from Coventry City Council on Tuesday to say my clam had been suspended. I called them first thing on Wed to see why and was told it was because a letter had been returned to them, marked 'not know at this address' I've no idea why it must have been delivered to the wrong address. Thay told me to send a utility bill in my name at that address to get everything reinstated.

Problem is, the bills there aren't in my name. I have told them of this and their only advice was to change the name on the accounts. I'm unwilling to do this it will take forever to arrange and the utility company will do a credit check.

Housing benefit are saying that I am still entitled to the benefit, but have to send a bill, We're going round in circles. They are refusing to accept letters from HMRC, DWP, Council tax and their own office as evidence. I have offered to have a member of staff visit me at home to see i'm really there. but they are not budging.

I have lodged a complaint but that can take 10 days or more to be resolved!

this seems not right to me, do any of you lovelies have any advice?
    I'm not subletting, The bills are addressed to 'The Occupier' and as the occupier, I don't feel the need to give my details out.

The tenancy is in my name and has been for the last 4 years.

They say that the letter was addressed correctly.

Complaining can be extremely effective if done correctly!
    Doesnt sound like they were "refusing to deal with it" to me.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options

are investigating the actions of a couple of staff members who have 'fallen below an acceptable level of service'!
    That's Council speak for "not another complaint, what can we say to make you go away?"

And in the very unlikely event that the Chief Executive, or any other senior member of staff, had so little to do that they look into why a claim might have been suspended for a couple of days, they wouldn't even tell a member of the public, much less involve them In an iinvestigation into staff. Doing so would be a breach of terms and conditions, union agreements and quite conceivably data protection as well.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    That's Council speak for "not another complaint, what can we say to make you go away?"

And in the very unlikely event that the Chief Executive, or any other senior member of staff, had so little to do that they look into why a claim might have been suspended for a couple of days, they wouldn't even tell a member of the public, much less involve them In an iinvestigation into staff. Doing so would be a breach of terms and conditions, union agreements and quite conceivably data protection as well.

I wouldnt possibly know anything about this but I would GUESS that most chief exec complaints are drafted by staff/managers/PA's in fact, anyone BUT the Chief Exec...

As a lowly customer service officer in my yoof I certainly NEVER sent any responses for the chief exec to sign, EVER....
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bills addressed to 'the occupier', a returned letter to 'not at this address', the occupier not wanting to have their name on the bills, and the Council that wouldn't negotiate for weeks suddenly agrees to reinstate without further questions just because OP complains... that doesn't sound fishy at all!
  • marliepanda
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Bills addressed to 'the occupier', a returned letter to 'not at this address', the occupier not wanting to have their name on the bills, and the Council that wouldn't negotiate for weeks suddenly agrees to reinstate without further questions just because OP complains... that doesn't sound fishy at all!

Definitely never heard of a utility company happy to address things to the occupier for 4 years...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure