Can someone confim this please

Hi I'm looking for some advice on council tax reduction I am a full-time student and single mother. I've been told I do not qualify for council tax reduction?
But iv been looking into this more I believe the information was given was wrong.
Am I correct in saying that full-time students over 21 hours are entitled to 100% reduction if you live alone?
Here's the confusing part my mother currently resides with me who I care for informually but she is classed as disabled and is in receipt of p i p , Employment and Support Allowance, has the blue badge ,
am I right in saying she is also entitled to free council tax reduction so therefore neither of us should be paying council tax which we have done since I started university and college 2 years ago?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,671
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi I'm looking for some advice on council tax reduction I am a full-time student and single mother. I've been told I do not qualify for council tax reduction?
    But iv been looking into this more I believe the information was given was wrong.
    Am I correct in saying that full-time students over 21 hours are entitled to 100% reduction if you live alone?
    Here's the confusing part my mother currently resides with me who I care for informually but she is classed as disabled and is in receipt of p i p , Employment and Support Allowance, has the blue badge ,
    am I right in saying she is also entitled to free council tax reduction so therefore neither of us should be paying council tax which we have done since I started university and college 2 years ago?

I'm not an expert but my understanding is that full time students are exempt from council tax. The fact that your mother is entitled to Pip and ESA does not automatically exempt her, but if she has a low income (PIP and contributions based ESA are not means tested) she can apply for a council tax reduction.

And if she is the only other adult living with you (a full time student), then she will be entitled to the 25% single person discount
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure