MSE News: Vanquis Bank to pay customers £169m

Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
Newshound!
edited 28 February 2018 at 12:44PM in Credit cards
Vanquis Bank is to pay 1.2 million customers about £169 million in compensation and a further fine of £1.9 million following an investigation into its credit card repayment add-on by the Financial Conduct Authority...
Read the full story:
'Vanquis Bank to pay customers almost £169 million in compensation'

OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• I recently cancelled my repayment add on because i realised it was charging interest! really glad this has been investigated...after 4 years I am hoping to receive compensation!
  • If used sensibly and your balance paid in full each month, then this wouldn't have happened
  • How rude!?
    I am responsible with my card and I do not have a large balance. I always pay more than the minimim but cant always afford to pay the balance off
  • I can see banks just withdrawing from large sections of the market soon. Offer a service at a level that makes a profit and you end up being fined. Offer something at !!!8220;normal!!!8221;rates and go bust as people default.

So many sectors turn out to have never actually made mi eh. It looked rosy, but the risks were not being properly accounted for.

It would not be a surprise if we see banks doing what landlords now do, and turning away benefit claiminats, anyone with even a late payment, and simply not offering mortgages to anyone who is not squeaky clean.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    John-K wrote: »
    I can see banks just withdrawing from large sections of the market soon. Offer a service at a level that makes a profit and you end up being fined. Offer something at !!!8220;normal!!!8221;rates and go bust as people default.

So many sectors turn out to have never actually made mi eh. It looked rosy, but the risks were not being properly accounted for.

It would not be a surprise if we see banks doing what landlords now do, and turning away benefit claiminats, anyone with even a late payment, and simply not offering mortgages to anyone who is not squeaky clean.

A tad overdramatic don't you think?

There was nothing wrong with the service that Vanquis were providing, it was simply that they should have explained to customers that interest would be applied to the monthly fee. Based on the article it would appear that they're in the process of reintroducing it now that the investigation is over and the only thing they did wrong was failing to disclose the interest.

As far as banks turning away people who are on benefits or who have late payments go, they can't do this for current accounts. They would at least have to offer these people a basic account (which aren't a whole lot different to normal current accounts.

For mortgages and other lending? If it isn't profitable to lend to certain customers they won't, which is no different to the way it is today and has basically been forever.
  • Please could you let me know how you apply for refund i have had a card for a long time with this company
  • Vanquis will be in touch with you if you're impacted.
  • I have had this cover on my card since I had it, I had no idea I was being charged interest until a few months ago when I cancelled the cover. I had a couple of payment holidays over the years so hope this doesn't stop me getting any compensation, I am sure they earned more from me in interest than my payment holidays cost!!
  • I’ve had a Vanquis card for about 6 years....I think in the first year I had this but as I’ve always kept a fairly low outstanding balance from month to month I’ve paid minimal interest.

Would be interested in any refund....current balance is 25 pounds, s9 I hope this refund doesn’t put me in credit.
  • Amy368
    Amy368 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi, I has a Vanquis card and definitely paid ROP. I ended up defaulting and the card is now paid off via a debt agency. Am I entitled to anything or should I just leave it? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure