stove top fans

I know winter seems a way off yet what with all this nice weather.
But we have just had our multi fuel stove fitted and have been looking at these fans that sit on top. does anyone have any good recommendations there seems so many, from cheap to a few hundred pounds.
Cheers
Jane x

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I bought one around 4 or 5 years ago cost me around £65 if I remember.
    It started to get a bit noisy so I binned it.
    Did it work.....sort of.
    Would I buy another one...........no.
    Would I pay a few hundred £'s for one.......no way.
    To sum up...........save your money to spend on something useful !!
  • same as above, think i paid 50 from ebay but wouldn't replace it if it broke
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    we have one, great bit of kit. wewould replace if t broke.

you certainly feel the difference if its not there.

ours was £40 ish off amazon
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I think the usefulness of these things would depend heavily on a whole range of factors, including personal perception.

I've never felt the need for one, but then I never felt the need to put an additive in my diesel tank till the new MoT was imminent!

Did it work? Well, the van passed the MoT with no comment on the emissions, but do I notice the huge improvements in performance reported by other buyers? Frankly, no, but maybe my van's engine is good anyway, or maybe it's so crap the additive can't help it. Who knows?

People are welcome to give the thumbs-up to their fans, but if my fire was any more efficient, I might feel uncomfortable.....What's that? Oversized for the room? Possibly....

You see the problem!
  • Jimmithecat
    Jimmithecat Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have one of the aldi ones - I’m happy with it and would replace it - does it make any difference to heat distribution? I doubt it but it looks nice. I would not pay more than £25 for one though.
  • Luke86
    Luke86 Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My parents have one for their log burner. Cold and old stone barn type structure. Works well for distributing the heat. Not sure which one it is, but it's a few years old and I bought it them, it was around £60.
  • Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Shop around - I bought one after seeing one at a friend's house, prices vary a lot, from about £70 in our local small stove shop to £30 on Amazon/Ebay. Seems effective at spreading the heat away from the fireplace.
  • ktee_uk
    ktee_uk Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Our log burner sits within a small inglenook fireplace so having the fan blows any collected heat out into the room. I would recommend one for that style of fireplace.
    Mortgage free after 12years
    Saving for early and comfortable retirement
    "If you want to forget your worries, wear tight shoes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills