Buying from abroad, but paying from UK

Hi all,

Quick question. I'm looking to buy an item from abroad (reputable vendor and really good comms). I need to make a deposit so they can work on it.

I have 2 credit cards:

One is the halifax card I got a few years ago as it's great for transactions abroad (well it was at the time). The other is a sainsburys 0% card for 30 months which I recently got for this purpose.

For the deposit am I best off using my Sainsbury's 0% card as I am making the transaction in the UK? Or should I use the halifax one?

When I'm abroad I plan to use the halifax one to pay the final bill.

So I could be using two different cards to pay for the item. If anyone could help with a quick reply that would be really appreciated as time is running out. I just want to know the best way to make the purchase. I don't have time to apply for another card as I fly next week! ha

Thanks in advance!
:beer::beer:
"The future needs a big kiss"

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Regardless of where you are when the transaction takes place, are you paying in pounds or in a foreign currency? If the latter, and your card is the Clarity, that will give the best exchange rate without fees.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • typeractive
    typeractive Posts: 913
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They will send me a price in AED. I will pay deposit in the UK, so (I know I sound really thick here) I thought I would be paying £'s?

lol - this should be simple!
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    They will send me a price in AED. I will pay deposit in the UK, so (I know I sound really thick here) I thought I would be paying £'s?

lol - this should be simple!
    You pay the deposit in AED using your Clarity card. Halifax pays the merchant in dirhams, converts the amount to pounds at the best possible rate, and you pay your statement, when due, in pounds.

Simple enough?
  • typeractive
    typeractive Posts: 913
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Vortigern wrote: »
    You pay the deposit in AED using your Clarity card. Halifax pays the merchant in dirhams, converts the amount to pounds at the best possible rate, and you pay your statement, when due, in pounds.

Simple enough?

Got that - so I’m best off using the Halifax card?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Got that - so I’m best off using the Halifax card?
    Yes, if the vendor is billing you in AED. The ideal MasterCard rate will be used by Halifax, whereas Sainsburys would charge an added 2.75%.

It seems unlikely in this case, but when some large online vendors detect a UK card being used they try to charge you in pounds and impose their own unfavourable exchange rate, adding to your cost and their profit. So beware of this and always reject it.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport