Does an inaccurate house build date invalidate insurance?

I am trying to buy home insurance and can't find the house build date information anywhere - will putting a wrong date invalidate house insurance? I don't know how they would know find out this information though if I haven't been able to find it in any title register, deeds, surveys, seller questionnaires etc. Just wondered if anyone knew if putting a circa date was acceptable? Thanks

Comments

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A circa date should be acceptable. Err on the side of caution and go with the earliest it could possibly be.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Would it be on the land registry ?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am trying to buy home insurance and can't find the house build date information anywhere - will putting a wrong date invalidate house insurance? I don't know how they would know find out this information though if I haven't been able to find it in any title register, deeds, surveys, seller questionnaires etc. Just wondered if anyone knew if putting a circa date was acceptable? Thanks

https://hmlandregistry.blog.gov.uk/2018/01/26/how-old-is-my-house/
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Speak to the insurer rather than guessing online, make sure it's all properly recorded that you have researched as best you can and the information simply isn't there
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Would it be on the land registry ?

Mine was registered in 2016 and the entry makes no reference to the build date. The earliest date recorded in the Deeds is 1875, but that only means that's the oldest bit of paper that someone thought to keep in the bundle. The insurers just wanted "pre 1914".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure