What are your 'honest' thoughts on First Direct?

Options
Hi all

Those who are banking with (or have banked with) First Direct, what sets them apart from the other high street banks? Is it worth switching to them (from Halifax)? I am looking to make First Direct my new 'long term' account.

Thanks

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Two main benefits.

1. They're lovely on the phone. If you like chatting to bank staff.
    2. They have a 5% regular saver.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ah23 wrote: »
    I am looking to make First Direct my new 'long term' account.
    Why? Or more specifically what will they give you that Halifax don't/won't? Don't say the 5% regular saver because you could have that without switching to them.
  • ah23
    ah23 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Two main benefits.

1. They're lovely on the phone. If you like chatting to bank staff.
    2. They have a 5% regular saver.

Thanks PeacefulWaters.

Yes, customer service is key going forward. Although given that I rarely if ever go into branch (everything is done online for me).

Re the 5% saver, is this on any amount, and is the interest given monthly or annually?
  • ah23
    Options
    Why? Or more specifically what will they give you that Halifax don't/won't? Don't say the 5% regular saver because you could have that without switching to them.

Hi YorkshireBoy,

Yeah, the 5% saver was one of the reasons - I haven't found a saver account with as good an interest rate as this thus far. The £125 switch is also another incentive.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Customer service isn't much of an issue for me. Thankfully haven't had any need to speak to mine for ages and only ever in a branch if I geta cheque. I did switch one of my accounts to FD purely for the £125 and found the accounting procedure a bit dated, but went smoothly enough.
  • ah23
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Customer service isn't much of an issue for me. Thankfully haven't had any need to speak to mine for ages and only ever in a branch if I geta cheque. I did switch one of my accounts to FD purely for the £125 and found the accounting procedure a bit dated, but went smoothly enough.

Thanks.

How are you finding the Mobile App and Website for transfers, checking balances etc? Is it user friendly?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks PeacefulWaters.

Yes, customer service is key going forward. Although given that I rarely if ever go into branch (everything is done online for me).

Re the 5% saver, is this on any amount, and is the interest given monthly or annually?

You do everything online?

Then don't use First Direct - their Online Banking page and App are terrible, especially compared to others in this day and age
  • BoGoF
    Options
    If you want the switching bonus/regular saver then I would suggest setting up a donor account to transfer.

I also have the 5% regular saver. Max is £300 per month for 12 months. After this I will be closing or switching elsewhere
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 December 2017 at 3:31PM
    Options
    Yeah, the 5% saver was one of the reasons - I haven't found a saver account with as good an interest rate as this thus far.
    Nationwide have one, as do M&S, HSBC, and Santander.

Nationwide will also pay you 5% on £2.5K in one of their current accounts, albeit for only the first 12 months. EDIT: And Nationwide's 5% regular saver is far more flexible than FD's, should you need access to the cash in an emergency.

And if you do want to switch, Nationwide will also pay you (and a friend who recommends you) £100.

But as another poster above alludes, if online banking is a key factor then you'll be disappointed you left Halifax for FD (in my opinion).
  • BoGoF
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    and found the accounting procedure a bit dated, but went smoothly enough.

That was supposed to say account opening procedure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure