Women's clothes sizes

1121314151618»

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You can lighten the proceedings by going out into waiting area at intervals and embarrassing your husband by asking him what he thinks while the other waiting husbands try not to look like they are looking.
    Perfect, this is exactly my approach to shopping :)
    Never happened while I've been in the waiting space at Bravissimo - or the "husband crèche" as m'wife calls it. I did sort-of notice that in the Cambridge shop - all of the assistants were curvaceous ladies which does sort of (ahem) support the idea that they practice what they preach.

It's been interesting following the debate... M'wife did comment a while back that there did seem to be a lot more small-back, large-cup options around and she finds that her current size of 38DD is not always around in the high street - which led us to wonder whether it was change in sizing or change in women. We concluded a mix of women generally being larger and more being on the pill (as Jojo has said) and my theory was that 30+ years ago someone who was actually, say, a 30E would have often been wearing a not-quite right 34C because that was all they could find/afford.

The other factor in dress sizing has to be height. When I was a lad, there was one girl in my class at 6' tall and she was considered a freak. A generation and a half later - there appear to be far more young women of 5' 10" to 6' (without heels) and some are proportionately broad. Not fat - but just scaled up as it were. So if the sizing assumes that a given number has a certain height and proportion, a tall, slim woman struggles as does a short, wide one.

(and all the other genders too...). I'm quite lucky in being a reasonably standard menswear size!
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • NBLondon wrote: »
    there did seem to be a lot more small-back, large-cup options around...

Implants.
    ...but just scaled up as it were. So if the sizing assumes that a given number has a certain height and proportion, a tall, slim woman struggles as does a short, wide one.

Yup, I always have issues with arm width...

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Vanity sizing has spread to some men's clothes too. :( I have two pairs of shorts labelled 36" waist and they are. The most comfortable pair of shorts I own are labelled 34". They measure 37"

What???

Vanity sizing is rife in women's clothing but how can manufacturers claim that 37" is 34"???
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • mark5 wrote: »
    Who said men don't have these problems?

Men's sizes are all over the place from brand to brand.

A medium Animal top is a large in firetrap or super dry.

I'm 32/32 at the moment in diesel jeans but this can go up or down depending on brand, my weight is constant as well.

Agree with this, I generally wear either L or XL tshirts (yes I know, I'm fat :D ) but plenty of Ls by one brand are bigger than XLs by another. I even own a couple of George XXL tshirts which are actually smaller than a few Weirdfish L tshirts.

Similar thing with trousers, in most cases I take a 36" inside leg but a Levi's 34 leg fits me fine.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tara747 wrote: »
    What???

Vanity sizing is rife in women's clothing but how can manufacturers claim that 37" is 34"???

To be fair, it only says 34, it doesn't actually say 34 what.

I assumed they meant inches.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Never happened while I've been in the waiting space at Bravissimo - or the "husband crèche" as m'wife calls it.

You've obviously not been in there when my wife has had a fitting session.
    I'm quite lucky in being a reasonably standard menswear size!

I'm not. I'm tall with long arms and legs. A lot of men's clothing manufacturers seem to think that if you are 6'4" you must also have a 60" chest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure