Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2018

Comments

• typeractive
    typeractive Posts: 914 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is a great thread. Thank you vegasvistor. I am looking to go with 2 of my friends. It's proving to be a pain as I can only go for 5 days (Sun to Fri), and one of them wants to go Fri to Fri. I'm trying to convince him that going for his birthday for 5 days will be enough to do Vegas. None of us have been before but I'm thinking 4 full days of fun will be enough. Certainly cheaper also as the flights have just gone up this evening, and the hotels (Bellagio) where he wants to stay is expensive.
    "The future needs a big kiss"
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This is a great thread. Thank you vegasvistor. I am looking to go with 2 of my friends. It's proving to be a pain as I can only go for 5 days (Sun to Fri), and one of them wants to go Fri to Fri. I'm trying to convince him that going for his birthday for 5 days will be enough to do Vegas. None of us have been before but I'm thinking 4 full days of fun will be enough. Certainly cheaper also as the flights have just gone up this evening, and the hotels (Bellagio) where he wants to stay is expensive.
    First visit, you won’t be in the room much. Unless you’re old like us. Is it a milestone birthday?
  • typeractive
    typeractive Posts: 914 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pebblesmax wrote: »
    First visit, you won’t be in the room much. Unless you’re old like us. Is it a milestone birthday?

:rotfl: Yes a 40th (for a drama queen :rotfl:)
    "The future needs a big kiss"
  • Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So I booked Mandalay Bay as it seems like it has some nice pools for the little one plus good surrounding hotels with similar facilities for her.

I got it for 5 nights including a weekend in mid-June for £630 including all taxes and resort fees for a Resort Queen Strip view room plus $200 Food & Beverage Credit and a Complimentary Suite Upgrade (subject to availability).

That's a good deal I think? Fully cancellable in case it isn't....
  • Martmonk_2
    Martmonk_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    So our San Diego to San Jose trip, where the original plan was to take the train up, stopping off at Disney, LA, Santa Barbara and maybe 1 other place, has ended up quite different!!

I'd deliberately only booked the first 6 nights in SD and nothing else, we wanted to take our time on the route and do it as we felt like, without having predetermined dates/times.

I love my hockey, ice that is, and the Vegas Golden Knights are in round 2 of the playoffs, so, when I looked last Friday for tickets just out of curiosity.........

Cue chat with OH, booking of hire car (Nissan Sentra - sorry Stu!) And a plan was hatched!

I type this sitting in MGM sports book watching another game as OH suns herself by the pool. That after 2 nights at Disney.

Some hasty my Vegas redemptions have been made, along with mlife offers for a comp room tonight, reduced rate tomorrow, and a reduced rate on OH account for Sat ($0, $39, $49) mean that hotels and hire car are cheaper than the trains and hotels along the way would have been.

Heading back to San Diego for 2 nights on Sunday before taking a cheap Southwest flight to San Jose to get home.

The game tickets aren't very MSE but I consider it a bucket list item getting to a Stanley cup playoff game. The flights are BA Amex 241 so that's where the majority of the mse comes in !! Out in first, back in business for total of £1200 (NCL-SAN, SJC-NCL).
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    golddust
    is that £630 for the room (your estimated total to include Resort fee), or £630 inc flights ? (just curious)
    And where did u see an offer of suite upgrade ? that sounds well good!

@Mart:
    No attempt of a $20 handshake to the guy in the garage ?!! :D:D
  • Goldust
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    golddust
    is that £630 for the room (your estimated total to include Resort fee), or £630 inc flights ? (just curious)
    And where did u see an offer of suite upgrade ? that sounds well good!

@Mart:
    No attempt of a $20 handshake to the guy in the garage ?!! :D:D

No not flights - we're driving round California and stopping there for 5 nights.

I got it off SmarterVegas and it seems to stack with their current 20% off flash sale (it was cheaper than any other promo codes or sites I could find).

Seems Mandalay has the best as it increases the amount of credit per day (although some of the other MGM hotels I guess you could book in blocks of 2 to get a similar deal).

http://www.smartervegas.com/hotels/mandalay_bay/promotionalcodes.aspx
  • StuieUK34
    That free suite upgrade is a good thing, especially in the M Bay !
    Good spot!
  • Goldust
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    That free suite upgrade is a good thing, especially in the M Bay !
    Good spot!

Excellent! The only worry is it says subject to availability but I guess I can persuade them to give me something else if not.

Is it still worth trying the $20 trick if I'm already getting an upgrade as part of my deal?
  • StuieUK34
    its worth $20 anytime u want some extra!!
    I try it for Hotels & cars , and my hotels are always comped anyway....
    Check-in person don't care if your room is free or paid for, or paid for with a free upgrade, if they can work some magic at no trouble to them and pocket $20 for doing so, they do it (sometimes! :D )

got nothing to lose!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport