PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Comments

• mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,204 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ooh it's late for me. Been a busy couple of days.

Main pleasure is my living room is decorated. I have a nice yellow wall, that brightens & warms the room. When I was contemplating my move back I knew I was going to have a yellow wall & now I have! Moved furniture around.

Went to kitchen showroom yesterday. So I've picked my units/ worktops etc and going back in on Tuesday to see plans/designs. See if I can justify the costs of what I would like!

Nice dog walks. Everything is so lush and green.

Was cool to start this morning then got very hot & humid this afternoon. Was like living in Melbourne! Cooler now.

Nice chat with DD2 yesterday. She read me a new book she'd bought GN.

Stunning setting sun last night as I was dog walking.
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Morning Peeps,

Frith Interesting viewpoint on DS2 experiences at Primary school from his ex teacher. Puts things into perspective. When my DS2 was at Primary, I was a Governor. It amused me greatly that when we looked at the stats for the Census, it was always DS2 that spoilt it for the Head. SEN register, wrong postcode, etc......and he couldn’t !!!!! about it cos I was sitting there :rotfl:

Yesterday

1. Made the fatal error of looking in DS1 room as he is away. You could not see the floor :eek: I now have a mountain of towels to wash. I have reclaimed the washing baskets. The washing machine has not stopped all day, and some of the night! More of the Ex girlfriends stuff will be EBayed and I have started to fill a suitcase for CS. I have found a brand new black cardigan I have been looking for since before Xmas. (Theiving little Minx :mad:). Bet the blue one is in Her new house :mad: Also found a polo shirt that DH has been looking for. The pleasure being that I can see floor :rotfl:

2. Cheap burgers bought to have a BBQ at the weekend.

3. FaceTime with DD. She is struggling at the moment as things going a bit wrong. Trying to cheer her up.

4. Discussing extension finances with DH. He is positive, I am cautious. It has been a dream for so long, but I am getting cold feet now.......this is not a pleasure is it? :o , but thank you for letting me share my worries :(.

5. Mopped all the floors and made 2 buckets of washing ‘gloop’. Also made a bag from one of DD old tee shirts.

Have a lovely day :)

Onward with the decluttering :j
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thursday pleasures,

Shopping in the emporium and old chap stopped me to say what a lovely smile I had (was sharing joke with Capt S) what a great compliment :D

Picked up some rtc Sweet Williams, they last for yonks away and had enough for three small vases.

Youngest hollow legged one and his gf came round for evening meal, did chicken fajitas followed by lemon meringue roulade, all eaten and enjoyed.

Sat at the table for a long time after meal finished, good to catch up with their busy lives.

Watched the last half hour of Ambulance, have to admit made me cry especially when the young lass phoned her Mum after having to deal with that awful rta.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    mhagster wrote: »
    Ooh it's late for me. Been a busy couple of days.

Main pleasure is my living room is decorated. I have a nice yellow wall, that brightens & warms the room. When I was contemplating my move back I knew I was going to have a yellow wall & now I have! Moved furniture around.

Went to kitchen showroom yesterday. So I've picked my units/ worktops etc and going back in on Tuesday to see plans/designs. See if I can justify the costs of what I would like!

Nice dog walks. Everything is so lush and green.

Was cool to start this morning then got very hot & humid this afternoon. Was like living in Melbourne! Cooler now.

Nice chat with DD2 yesterday. She read me a new book she'd bought GN.

Stunning setting sun last night as I was dog walking.

That sounds so nice! I love yellow, I have lovely yellow kitchen walls :):)

My 5 for today:
    1 put a bit of gravel around the sunflower which had been eaten a few days ago, and the good news is, it isn't quite dead (shades of Monty Python :D), the tiny bit of leaf which was left was obviously enough and it's growing again :D

2 Got 2 of next week's meal prepared already by doubling up recipes made using 90% stuff which I already had

3 Called into Mr T's yesterday and resisted buying any of the YL stuff as it wasn't super-cheap and I'm trying to use up what I've already got. Nice to see my willpower extending to bargains :rotfl:

4 My basil seeds are FINALLY growing past the 2 leaf stage after what feels like forever

5 Credit card statement finally came so I know the exact amount and I've paid it off :j:j

oh and a sneaky extra -

6 It's Friday :D:D:D
  • 99% It is a software number. It means I am complete, but!
    There, next weak its Social Workers, Educationalists and Humane Remains who will get it!

XL Now more than forty years since the school tie was burned! Never looked back. I see UCAS is having problems though! Whatever that is!

4 Those who were affected because of Rule of Nan BoP and Raffles eating disorder! Please be known, that he did finish his food, and brought home a shrew as well. Yesterday in the violent electrical storms, he got wet! BoPsie is recovering!

3 Had chicken roulette again last night, with strawberries and chocolate ice cream. Cocoa and Crumpet was also enjoyed. In BoP’s packed lunch box, BoPsie remembered the cakes of Jaffa. Nice. Other bits were enjoyed as well.

2 Nite BoP was going to the flicks, but film is at 9:30. Really! Avoided. More details of BoP’s night out later!

Having one again. BoPsie is without her phone today, so she cannot peeps see! Say what you like!

Fryday is here, that means beans and snorkers tomorrow!
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,204 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    An early post from me.

Lovely dog walk this morning. Our field is full of buttercups and elderflower and mayflower and birds and just lovely at 7.30am. Where we live is at the cusp of countryside and that's all you see if you look ahead...if you look behind you just see house after house!

It's 15 months today since my husband died and as always I just think how can that even be a thing? I miss him so , so much.

Went to skinny club...'cept I'm not skinny but got my head on the right way for June. Had a good chat with others that are there. One of the girls, I worked with years ago and she is such a hoot. So had a good laugh with her in the carpark before going in.

Nipped into T. I'd taken cash and was just (just) under. But got a lot. Quite a few things RTC.

Had a pasta thing and fruit for lunch and a tuna/ cheese toastie and salad for tea. CBA cooking. What's for tea asked the boy...fend for yourself said the mother!

Moved some stuff around. Then got fed up and went and had a lie down. Had a very inefficient snooze! We had a smidgeon of rain but it's all dried up now.

Waiting on the whirlwind that is the GN arriving.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,151 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Pleasures for today (Friday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Man came to clean the cooker (part of its warranty). Looks good but it wasn't too bad before!

3) Cleaned (boiled) the kitchen bin out in the garden.

4) Bagged up more rubble from the porch.

5) Hen OK.

6) Went to steam train town for cup of tea, look round the museum and quick peruse of the charity shop.

7) The heavens opened! I've put a video on FB and it looks like someone is pressure washing the living room window. Rain came in under the front door, and through the inglenook chimney.

8) Made 6 lasagnes (some for freezer) with butternut squash slices.

9) My brother just popped up and we delivered flyers for the village tea party then he had a game of FIFA with smaller son.

10) About to watch Gogglebox then HIGNFY.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pleasures today (Friday)

Cough is getting a bit better :j

Re-stacked several of my DSis’ boxes etc - my open plan dining room now looks tidier :rotfl:

Lovely warm day & now a red sky :)

Two loads of washing done, dried & put away :D

My large suitcase now ONLY contains DSis’s clothes. Mine & DH’s clothes are now put away :j We always overpack :eek:

Found my camera charger :D then panicked because I couldn’t find my camera :eek: Had put it away in my footstool which is rapidly becoming the footstool of Doom :D Camera now on charge :)

Remembering to post on the thread :rotfl:

Forgot one from yesterday - my cs lady reckoned I had lost weight - woo-hoo:j

Reading your pleasures

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    What ho midears! Delighted to see you are all surviving in the heat - me, I'm dashed nearly forming a puddle but then the gym has not got aircon.
    house elf - love "spectrum of geekdom" idea! (Much) Braver woman than I to take steps about a son's room but delighted you recovered some valued articles!
    mhagster - decorated?! Wow! & with GN in orbit...
    MrsSD - chaps and tools - often a happy mix!
    purple kitten - better to let inherited things go with love than hang onto and regret
    BoP - sage words as ever about switching, may my broadband provider worry... And icecream is always welcome in this heat - good stuff Raffles!
    Hopeless Case - well done on the water - you'll have outgrown your handle by Christmas at this rate!
    LaineyT - it is a definite pleasure to merit a compliment from an old chap.
    Ampersand, Mrs LW, VJsmum, kittikins, broomstick, mcculloch, skint - hoping you are all well, busy & happy

OS Pleasures recently
    "What is a hummus layer?" - o my son, it is as well your Geography exam appears not to cover basic soil structure. Whereas your bedroom floor, cleared once this year, is already fermenting. [And til his exams are over, I'll not touch it. Then, the flamethrower awaits.]

Some American war film: "Peppa Pig can get intense sometimes." One lad has a deeply laconic sense of humour at times.

Son is campaigning for me to take leave so I can take him to the opticians. I may even cooperate, as we might All Sleep In! [Well, not today, woke to sound of seizure in bathroom sending things flying. Drat, but he's fine & even joined me in the gym this evening - he *will* be creaky tomorrow!]

Spotting Denby pottery in purple bricks advert! (Pot geek here.)

Nasturtium seeds have germinated & showing leaves - unexpected extra hope for flowers at some stage.

Half-slugged borage repotted into hopefully safer location, bolting rhubarb chopped back, barely surviving rhubarb (in small pot) fed & weeded that I may have something to plant once I figure where to grow it where I can better monitor it. [Then it started to rain.]

New (to me) boots running in splendidly. Two other pairs beautifully nurtured to car boot for someone with narrower feet and/or fewer orthoses.

Box specifically for my Monmouth hat knitting needles - bought at car boot for a pound and just *glorious* tiny intarsia - it would be millefiori in china - think this is wood. I am allowed it on condition the box lives in a drawer & not toted around & abused. I agree willingly to this!

Aw superhero son who did both washing up and laundry? Forgot to set the laundry going. Ah well, still plenty of sunlit hours to dry.

Family speculating on a red neck wedding - where banjos strum 'here comes the bride' & where both parties walk to the altar accompanied by shotgun toting family members. Other wedding details my lads were intriguingly hazy on. Oh my, they'll learn!

Many seedling herbs potted on. Probably far too late but this sunlight means I can't leave them distorting in propagators any longer. Hoping the three Honesty seedlings survive - my mother adores the stuff & quotes Cornish lore "Honesty never thrives where honesty bain't". How she sees it at garden centres I've never dared ask.

Son is playing "War of the worlds", again. Great music, crap journalism & just hock deep in bad science. Pleasure is leaving him to it & the washing up!

Half term but I'm back in the office. A few unexpected children, a lot of predictably absent adults. Plus a short week anyway - I like May!

Clover in flower by the road.

Being sent to Belfast to teach for a day in August. Not flown on the company dime, but then no flown in 20 years or so. Any must do or see in Belfast city airport?! (Not enough time to see Belfast, other than on flight in & out.)

Wednesday & it's cool enough & cloudy enough for me to wear, not just carry, the raincoat.

Waved to the tailor - even as he lets down the blinds at end of his day!

Bristle brushing hair - it really does feel different, & I think better for it. All these long haired years Getting it wrong can now end as I move towards getting it right instead!

Husband needed a sticky plaster - and when I saw what he'd had to resort to, I guffawed. Navy blue hello kitty... Not the strong silent type's ideal choice!

Watching, riveted, as a security camera is checked by a chap up a ladder, undulating somewhat. I reckon it's a 3:1 ratio cable ties to cable myself...

Son has received his new bike, and "assembled" it, with a few gentle reminders as to brake cables & fork direction. Even paid me for it, cash! [Paid into bank, to creditcard, before I heard about the visa palaver.]

Awed inflection of hopeful son wanting a lift from an area where rain absolutely bucketing down, whereas I one ridge away was in the bone dry heat. (He squelched up to his room despite requests to get out of the dripping wet attire by the washing machine.)

May all who have exam candidates in range have the requisite calm, courage, support etc. The usual health, strength, love & courage to all who have need still applies. Plus sunscreen, brolly & sticky plasters quant suff.
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    edited 2 June 2018 at 5:52AM
    Good Morning,

DfV Thank you for another epic and enjoyable post. I had to Google Monmouth hat.......stylish and practical. I am in awe if you can knit them, as one dropped stitch and the whole effect is ruined :eek: ( Not so important for the last thing I crocheted, which was a wash cloth :rotfl:

Yesterday

1. Went shopping in emporium W. Have not been since they got rid of My Waitrose, but they sent me a generous set of coupons. Found rtc cheese and cake of Jaffa, got shopping down to half price..... :rotfl:

2. Swallows and Swifts are back. Not as many as usual. Perhaps I need one of the nesting boxes they keep showing on TV. (Next door blocked up the nest hole in their roof :()

3. Made more progress with DS1 room. Found the other missing cardigan. ( Have to take back everything I said about The ex-gf taking them :(). Found 3 round pounds :mad:

4. Late sunshine has helped dry the wet washing mountain.

5. Sloppy Joes for tea.

Have a lovely day :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport