£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• That looks delicious, thank you for sharing it!

With hot lunches, I do sometimes. You can buy wide-neck Thermoses that work well for things like pasta (anything that you need to be able to dig a fork into). I did stop sending mine with soup because they found it took too long to eat and they want something they can throw down and then go play with friends, but if yours have a mandated amount of time to sit in the dining room and eat (which I imagine they would, if some of them are getting hot lunches?) that might not be a concern. I've done pasta, soup, fried rice, I've also baked chicken wings/drumsticks and then wrapped them in foil and sent with a bit of dipping sauce, ditto corn cobettes.

Your mortgage deal sounds very good to me!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Week 35: Day 6

Morning! A day of catching up on house stuff and trying to clear some of my To Do list before the weekend starts (I am working tomorrow, but I like to have a full day's work clear of little nagging jobs when I can). Also have to go and watch the older DCs in their harvest service, which means brining DC3 with food to keep quiet for the duration!

Christmas present news; I've been keeping a note so far of spends. I budgeted £120 for all the adult presents we need to buy this Christmas (14 adults but mostly couples, so 8 gifts to plan). Have decided on a hyacinth pot and a small homemade candle/hm fudge each for those I'd like to give a little more to (maybe 4 couples). So far the hyacinths have come out at a total of £48 even allowing a generous £25 for the actual bulbs from the garden centre today (in case they are more expensive than the online place). Even if I have to buy some new essential oils and glass jars for candles or baking ingredients, I'm confident I can bring the adult gifts in for well under £100, which I'm really pleased with.

To do today
    1. menu plan and food shopping list for tonight/tomorrow morning, including batch cooking ingredients for Sunday (this may bump the price up a little as I'd like to get a handful of different packed lunch options made).
    2. 35 items on the To Do list. The mission is to get that clear before the end of the day, and sensibly reschedule anything left, rather than just carrying it over to tomorrow.
    3. buy hyacinth bulbs.
    4. ask school about hot packed lunches.

To do this week
    1. Continue to plan Christmas gifts.
    2. Plant hyacinth bulbs.
    3. Charity shop trawl for stocking fillers and hyacinth planters.
    4. Library ebooks.

To do this month
    1. keep the total spend for the month below £3,500. Currently budgeted at £3,376.
    2. work a sensible number of hours, even if it means slower progress on the work and debt front. September was rubbish. This is going well so far.
    3. make any homemade Christmas gifts.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • 14 adults for under £100 is amazing! I won't even confess how much I've budgeted for Christmas
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Love your Christmas present ideas TOPM, much nicer than buying items that would probably never get used. Especially for older folks who don't want more 'stuff' :)
    Remember to ask for 'prepared' hyacinths though, if you want them to flower around Christmas indoors :)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I love the fact that you have postponed your planned meal to next week to use up all the leftovers (this is our particular weakness - with a collection of random plastic things of indeterminate origin in the freezer). One of the grocery challenge people decided this was happening so often that she now aims to make her weekly shop last an extra day every week. That is fine if you can change when you shop but I try to buy for four days and adapt what I have in for the rest, which helped me cut down a lot.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • 14 adults for under £100 is amazing! I won't even confess how much I've budgeted for Christmas
    Oh go on, it will give everyone someone new to be horrified at :D .
    DawnW wrote: »
    Love your Christmas present ideas TOPM, much nicer than buying items that would probably never get used. Especially for older folks who don't want more 'stuff' :)
    Remember to ask for 'prepared' hyacinths though, if you want them to flower around Christmas indoors :)
    My mum always says she has enough 'stuff' to see her through till she dies, she likes consumables/things that don't last.
    I love the fact that you have postponed your planned meal to next week to use up all the leftovers (this is our particular weakness - with a collection of random plastic things of indeterminate origin in the freezer). One of the grocery challenge people decided this was happening so often that she now aims to make her weekly shop last an extra day every week. That is fine if you can change when you shop but I try to buy for four days and adapt what I have in for the rest, which helped me cut down a lot.
    We usually freeze leftovers, but for some reason it didn't happen this week, which is why they needed using up - they usually get used as emergency meals or for DH's lunches.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I totally agree with your Mum's point of view TOPM.
  • Quick list round up before bed

To do today
    1. menu plan and food shopping list for tonight/tomorrow morning, including batch cooking ingredients for Sunday (this may bump the price up a little as I'd like to get a handful of different packed lunch options made). Done. I think the shop is going to come in fairly expensively, which is irritating, but it should knock a noticeable sum off the shop for the next few weeks. The proof will be in the pudding (or batch cooking).
    2. 35 items on the To Do list. The mission is to get that clear before the end of the day, and sensibly reschedule anything left, rather than just carrying it over to tomorrow. Down to a measly little nine items to add to however many I have planned in for tomorrow. It says something about my schedule at the moment that I am considering this a huge success.
    3. buy hyacinth bulbs. Not done, garden centre in the morning.
    4. ask school about hot packed lunches. Not done, forgot.

To do this week
    2. Plant hyacinth bulbs.
    3. Charity shop trawl for stocking fillers and hyacinth planters. Done.
    4. Library ebooks. Done. Need to test on DC1's mp3 player, but working on my phone, hurrah!

To do this month
    1. keep the total spend for the month below £3,500. Currently budgeted at £3,376.
    2. work a sensible number of hours, even if it means slower progress on the work and debt front. September was rubbish. This is going well so far.
  • Hurrah to the library audio books working, need to set mine up.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2017 at 8:35PM
    Week 35: Day 7

Wow, another week coming to an end. Crazy how it goes by. This has been such a stressful week with all the work stuff hanging over me. I'm feeling a little more zen about it now, but looking forward to the meeting I'm having on Tuesday and having a clearer path ahead.

Some energy on my smaller business has paid off - nothing major, but an hour or two's work earlier in the week and it made perhaps £35 profit within a day or two. Going to spend some more time on it today. Nothing like the profit of my main business, but it does have the advantage of being much more reliable in terms of work in = profit (albeit small) out.

My list has a piddly little 19 things on it today, of which I have already done three. Always makes me feel a little less stressed to not have 9,000 things hanging over me.

To do today
    1. food shopping.
    2. buy hyacinth bulbs.
    3. plant hyacinth bulbs.
    4. try ebooks on DC1's MP3 player
    5. Assuming the above works, check entire audible library is downloaded and cancel membership. Even if it's only for a few months it will help.
    6. check HMRC childcare account - at some point I have to confirm the 30hrs funding for next term and I am terrified of missing the slot.

To do this week
    2. Plant hyacinth bulbs.
    3. Charity shop trawl for stocking fillers and hyacinth planters. Done.
    4. Library ebooks. Done. Need to test on DC1's mp3 player, but working on my phone, hurrah!

To do this month
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback