Struggling with my monthly catalogue payments on ESA

Hi all, I struggled to find the right category to put this post in, so chose this one!

Basically myself and my OH are on a joint esa claim, I have 2 catalogues (fashion world and studio) which I’ve had since way before me and him got together.

I owe £645 on fashion world and pay £28 a month ( this is the minimum payment and all I can afford, £20 of this is interest!) and £666 to studio which I pay £33 a month and £27 of that is interest.

Now I know what you’re thinking- why take out a catalogue if you are on benefits- but it seemed like a good idea at the time- I was struggling to buy clothes and xmas gifts so took out a catalogue and it has spiralled from there.

I do not use either catalogue anymore and just focus on paying th bill off (which is never ending as most of the payment each month is interest so essentially I am paying £7 a month off it) .

We are both struggling on the money we are on, he has CSA to pay, other bills and HMRC debt.

I was just wondering if there was any advice regarding these catalogues? Can I stop paying them or come to some kind of arrangement with them?

I’ve always been on esa even before meeting my OH, I know I shouldn’t have started them but there’s no point looking back now is there.

Any help I would appreciate.
X

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mae85 wrote: »
    Hi all, I struggled to find the right category to put this post in, so chose this one!

Basically myself and my OH are on a joint esa claim, I have 2 catalogues (fashion world and studio) which I!!!8217;ve had since way before me and him got together.

I owe £645 on fashion world and pay £28 a month ( this is the minimum payment and all I can afford, £20 of this is interest!) and £666 to studio which I pay £33 a month and £27 of that is interest.

Now I know what you!!!8217;re thinking- why take out a catalogue if you are on benefits- but it seemed like a good idea at the time- I was struggling to buy clothes and xmas gifts so took out a catalogue and it has spiralled from there.

I do not use either catalogue anymore and just focus on paying th bill off (which is never ending as most of the payment each month is interest so essentially I am paying £7 a month off it) .

We are both struggling on the money we are on, he has CSA to pay, other bills and HMRC debt.

I was just wondering if there was any advice regarding these catalogues? Can I stop paying them or come to some kind of arrangement with them?

I!!!8217;ve always been on esa even before meeting my OH, I know I shouldn!!!8217;t have started them but there!!!8217;s no point looking back now is there.

Any help I would appreciate.
    X

Copy and post this on the Debtfree wannabe forum. Alternatively get in touch with Stepchange or National Debtline for advice.

Are either of you receiving PIP/DLA?

How much CSA is your OH paying?
  • Mae85
    Mae85 Posts: 117 Forumite
    We only get esa that!!!8217;s it.

He pays £30 a month to her, plus we have them all holidays, pay for school trips and uniforms etc
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

He pays £30 a month to her, plus we have them all holidays, pay for school trips and uniforms etc

I get the impression you resent this money going to your OHs children, its an insignificant amount of money to help raise at least two children!

You should contact Stepchange and come to an arrangement for interest to stop on the debts and a manageable payment set in place or consider a Debt relief order. If you contact them they help you find the right solution for you.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    sammyjammy wrote: »
    I get the impression you resent this money going to your OHs children, its an insignificant amount of money to help raise at least two children!

You should contact Stepchange and come to an arrangement for interest to stop on the debts and a manageable payment set in place or consider a Debt relief order. If you contact them they help you find the right solution for you.

Where is there anything in the OP's post to suggest that she objects to her partner supporting his children?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Mae85
    I don!!!8217;t resent him giving her money at all!
    I do resent the fact that she!!!8217;s constantly on at him saying it!!!8217;s an insult- when we only give what esa have said to based on our income- when actually it should be £20 a month according to those rules anyway!
    We have them every weekend aswell as Wednesdays too- even though the court order was every other weekend and split holidays but she had other ideas!

But I digress!

Thanks for all the other helpful comments x
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite

Can either of you work at all?

Do you not get any other income?

Have you considered applying for PIP if you meet the criteria?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2018 at 5:06PM
    batg wrote: »
    ....Maybe you could get rid of the I-PHONE and get a cheap pay as you go one and use the money you save on that to pay extra off the catalogues? Would be at least £30 a month you would be able to pay extra I think wouldn't it?

What an unpleasant, condescending and judgemental post.
    By a forumite who has started their own threads titled "Want to get rid of credit card debt", and "Can anyone claim ESA for 13 weeks?"!!

"Benefits Board: For help and support NOT JUDGEMENT."
    I've reported it. Suggest others do the same.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • batg
    batg Posts: 295 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2018 at 5:28PM
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    What an unpleasant, condescending and judgemental post.
    By a forumite who has started their own threads titled "Want to get rid of credit card debt", and "Can anyone claim ESA for 13 weeks?"!!

"Benefits Board: For help and support NOT JUDGEMENT."
    I've reported it. Suggest others do the same.
    excuse me?
    Saying you can get rid of an I-PHONE and put the at least £30 saving per month off a catalogue debt is judgmental? Are you serious?? As for reporting, honestly this place is akin to being in the school yard and people running off to the teacher to tell tales.
    And while you are off playing detective going back through threads, perhaps you missed this bit?
    """ I'd class query Multiple Sclerosis (MRI next week), "ladies problems" that looks like requiring radical surgery, severe IBS, and severe vertigo as a bit more than just claiming to try and avoid working..........""""
    I claim no benefits by the way .I've never even put a claim in.
  • Mae85
    Firstly. I only pay £18 a month for my iPhone 5s anyway.
    Secondly, that is not what I asked lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport