PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Issues with Clothes Moths - Private Tenant

Options

Comments

• MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hopefully that does the trick.
  • Jaffapig
    Jaffapig Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    No problem, just make sure you don't cut corners and make sure you get everywhere! I'd be liberal with the spray too, just try not to breath it in.

Don't take it to heart people saying you brought them with you etc. Sounds like you probably didn't if they appeared that late after you moved in. Perfectly possible they came in through the window at some point. No ones fault really it just happens.

I remember we moved into property #2 one day, went on holiday for the two weeks following, and came back to a flat just crawling in moths :( I think we'd bought them with us from flat #1 where I had seen them occasionally and they just loved the carpets in flat #2 and had a population explosion. And then same story with flat #3. Lovely carpet to much on. It was only when my housemates said they'd only recently noticed the moths (i.e. since I moved in!) that I twigged they were linked to me! Nipped it in the bud when I got to my current home! Moving house soon and just to be safe I will probably use the rest of the bottle on the carpet if it's still good.
  • Gyingehn
    Gyingehn Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Jaffapig wrote: »
    No problem, just make sure you don't cut corners and make sure you get everywhere! I'd be liberal with the spray too, just try not to breath it in.

Don't take it to heart people saying you brought them with you etc. Sounds like you probably didn't if they appeared that late after you moved in. Perfectly possible they came in through the window at some point. No ones fault really it just happens.

I remember we moved into property #2 one day, went on holiday for the two weeks following, and came back to a flat just crawling in moths :( I think we'd bought them with us from flat #1 where I had seen them occasionally and they just loved the carpets in flat #2 and had a population explosion. And then same story with flat #3. Lovely carpet to much on. It was only when my housemates said they'd only recently noticed the moths (i.e. since I moved in!) that I twigged they were linked to me! Nipped it in the bud when I got to my current home! Moving house soon and just to be safe I will probably use the rest of the bottle on the carpet if it's still good.

I am hoping the current company doing the work will up their game as there really isn't much more I can do with the rest of the textiles beyond freezing everything!

They have a good gig going, cannot guarantee their work and get paid a small fortune for 30 minutes work :)

Fingers crossed this is resolved, but my gut tells me this won't resolve. Both of us desperately want to move now.
  • Jaffapig
    Jaffapig Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah they really must get everywhere. Because what you'll probably find is you lift up a wardrobe and the carpet underneath is just covered in casings. I had a sofa in my last place and when I moved that when I was moving out that's where I found them all.

If they are only taking 30mins in a 5 bed house I find it very hard to believe they are doing the thorough job that is required.
  • Gyingehn
    Options
    Jaffapig wrote: »
    Yeah they really must get everywhere. Because what you'll probably find is you lift up a wardrobe and the carpet underneath is just covered in casings. I had a sofa in my last place and when I moved that when I was moving out that's where I found them all.

If they are only taking 30mins in a 5 bed house I find it very hard to believe they are doing the thorough job that is required.

Equally strange is that the worst impacted room is the one with wooden flooring, but the holes in the wall....
  • Gyingehn
    Options
    We may have figured it out. There are three domestic pigeon nests in the a large tree in the garden next to us that heavily overhangs our back garden (quite nice in the sunny days for some shade). Could this be the source? Worth removing the nests?

Research (examples)
    english-heritage.org.uk/learn/conservation/clothes-moth-research/Clothes_moths_in_depth/
    "Check lofts and attics for bird nests. Remove and destroy any nest material found."

english-heritage.org.uk/content/learn/conservation/2543455/2543024/Clothes_moth_prevention_and_control_guideline1.pdf
    "The natural home of clothes moths is bird and animal nests."

theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/24/pests-moths-carpets
    "Their original habitat is outdoors, where they live in bird’s nests or on discarded fur or animal skin"
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't move the nests if they are still being used to rear young. It might have something to do with it but wouldn't neighbours have the same issue? Do you know if they do
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2018 at 11:11PM
    Options
    You probably know this but moths start in places that don't get cleaned too much (under wardrobes and sofas are good examples).

I had a problem with bed bugs once. Paid £250 for guaranteed service then they went commercial only. Seemed to only come from one side of the property so I suspected they came from next door particularly as was a very quick turn around of tenants at the time. Saw one lot thrown out, another lot decorating and then they were gone within the month.

The bed bugs returned after no signs of them 18 months later. So I bought what I thought was the best bed bug kit online and cleaned and sprayed for days on end. Everytime I saw something moving I sprayed. Spray/powder lasts a while as well. I also steamed and made sure I covered ever single crevice.

They didn't return. It took about a month (bed bugs have a three week cycle).

Learn what cycle the moths you have have, get chemicals that last that last as long as possible. You can also get abrasive powders to line rooms with (skirting boards good places to hide). Consider steaming aggressively and repeatedly. Steam is good for crevices too.

Had another problem in another place and he offered me a job on the spot when I said I had got rid of bed bugs on my own efforts lol.

Obviously I also washed all clothes (its the tumble dryer heat that really kills them) sprayed and encased mattresses etc. Get to know your critters habits and weaknesses. I am a firm believer in DIY rather than paying for repeated vermin people. You need to get rid of them, to a company its just another job. Sounds like you have saved yourself no work/money with these contractors anyway.
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    You have a dispute system if your landlord decides to deduct money from your bond.

Agh I hate the uncertain feeling of bond repayment.

I would say unless you caused damage that!!!8217;s due to your ill care, such as dropping an iron on the carpet etc, it!!!8217;s not your fault that moths have come into the house. If you had rats due to being a harder and didn!!!8217;t let the letting agent know, and they poo and died everywhere, tenants fault.
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June 2018 at 10:37AM
    Options
    did you find any holes on carpet when you move in? We have a moth problem in our last rental flat which had been deep cleaned by professional cleaning company before we moved in. The carpet was shampooed and steam cleaned but there was 2 small holes in the carpet so I asked the inventory guy to note them down. It turns out those were moth holes and we only began to notice the the problem after 18 month of moving in.

It got really bad at one point, many of the wool/cashmere clothes were damaged, most of natural fibre clothes were infected we had to buy an additional freezer to freeze our clothes. We informed our LL and pest control came, each spray would cost £200 and it needed 3 or 4 spray. LL was going to do it but called a stop after being told the whole building is infected with moth problem.

We told LL that we understood why he thinks spray may be a waste of money but also stated it's unfair we had to deal with the problem on our own, we then managed to negotiate with LL to buy us a steam cleaner of our choice and to supply us some moth trap stickers.

We stayed for further 2.5 years in the flat, and manage to get moth problem under control without any spray. We changed our bed frame and some furniture so almost every bit of carpet can be reached cleaned. Vacuuming every 2/3 days and steam clean in dark area monthly (under bed, sofa and furniture). Unless you move or you get the neighbour to do the spray with you, you will have to battle this on your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure