Water & flush valve defect

Adly812
Adly812 Posts: 558
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
My flush valve failed to work, meaning water in the cistern continued to fill up and stream into the overfill pipe and then down through into the pan.
I got a plumber in who changed the flush valve. It was working fine and fixed the error for three days. Then I left home and for piece of mind I turned the water off at the mains supply(!!!! stop) . I returned today to find the cistern was FILL and water very slowly trickling into the overfill pipe into the pan!!!! Flush valve not working to stop water rising... I went to the main !!!! stop... It maybe wasn't turned tight enough, as I could tighten it but we're talking a teeny tiny more of a grip turn....
So I turned water back on, flushed the loo And water did not rise and all seemed to function normally...
I'm so confused? Why did the few days away, cause a) water to even get to the toilet with my main !!!! stop off? B) flush Valve to not work again? C) now it's working???

And how much water am I losing,. It's not pouring into the pan, it's trickling slowly.. I'm so worried I'm away another week. What's this doing to my water bill????

I've had to leave home again, so I turned off the water again -tightly tight tight shut. Flushed the loo so cistern is empty.l.l
I'm worrying now.. What's the issue ?

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When you say "flush valve" you mean the ball valve which controls the water coming from the mains into the cistern?

It is possible there is some debris in your pipework which means the ball valve is unable to fully close and stop the water, even a small drip will be enough to fill a cistern given enough time :)

Depending on the type of main stop valve (I won't use the !!!! word ;)) it could be the same problem with that - some debris is preventing the rubber washer from forming a tight seal so some water can still pass by.

If the debris is small, then opening the valve fully (either the main stop valve, or toilet cistern valve) could allow the debris to pass through, so the problem goes away.... until the next bit of debris arrives to do the same thing again.

Do you know if any work has been carried out on the water mains nearby recently?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,698
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    this seems be a duplicate of this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5645399
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Toilets have an inlet valve and a flush mechanism. I have never seen a single inlet valve yet that does not have some adjustment. It probably just needs tweaking so the water in stops before it overflows. On older valves it wasn't unusual to find the rubber diaphragm dirty or limescaled so allowing water to continue weeping in when it should be stopped. Not so many of these about now, usually mini float valves.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A decent plumber will do a decent job.

Unfortunately, a lot of these people are just somebody who is just like you, but has a big wrench.

I ended up replacing the flush mechanism myself, because nobody will turn up. Plumber's putty helps to seal the joints.
  • KenWilson
    KenWilson Posts: 5 Forumite
    You can Google the Eddy Home IQ meter. It helps you save money and detect water leaks, if any, so that you can take the appropriate action.
  • jessivelasco
    jessivelasco Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 9 November 2017 at 10:54AM
    I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on water-saving toilet? I'm planning to buy a new one the following week. About to replace my old one that has cracks and defective flush. However, my grandma asks me to look for a replacement where we could save water and at the same time is durable. Most forums and articles that I found suggests the TOTO toilet. But I'm still having second thoughts and would like to ask for your opinion about it. Have you guys encountered the same brand? What brand do you use at home and how was it working on your water bill? Hope you can help me decide on this.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on water-saving toilet? I'm planning to buy a new one the following week. About to replace my old one that has cracks and defective flush. However, my grandma asks me to look for a replacement where we could save water and at the same time is durable. Most forums and articles that I found suggests the TOTO toilet just like on this one jenreviews.com/best-toilet. But I'm still having second thoughts and would like to ask for your opinion about it. Have you guys encountered the same brand? What brand do you use at home and how was it working on your water bill? Hope you can help me decide on this. Thanks in advance!

Strange that an almost identical post appeared yesterday from another first time poster!
    icon1.gifHelp in choosing the most cost-efficient toilet replacement
    Hey guys, I have a similar problem and I was thinking of replacing my old toilet possibly next week. I've been searching for forums and blogs about choosing a water-saving toilet and I'm still having second thoughts about the TOTO toilet that I usually see on suggestions. Do you guys think that it's really cost-efficient? I no longer want to spend so much money on my water bill just because of our toilet that makes my bill high every month. Any recommendations? Kindly suggest similar reviews like this one: jenreviews.com/best-toilet if you have other suggested toilets. I badly need help deciding which brand I should choose until weekend. Hope you guys can help me with this. Thanks in advance!

Could the posts be Spam - surely not;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport