'A generation of Muslims not able to go to university?' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• N1AK
    N1AK Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meher wrote: »
    is quite a moronic and unpleasant experience...

I agree however that some of them are mindless responses but to suggest that most British people are islamophobics is nothing but a projection of their own inner hostility and intolerance.

Being called Moronic by someone who hasn't even been able to grasp what the debate is about; par for the course on a forum without logical reasoning tests on registering I suppose :rotfl:

If you were informed, rather than ignorant yet vocal, you'd know that we aren't talking about, nor are Muslims asking to be given, interest free loans. I'd spend time explaining the idea of sharia borrowing and how it works to you but I have almost as much doubt about whether you could understand it as I do about whether you'd even read it to try.
    Having a signature removed for mentioning the removal of a previous signature. Blackwhite bellyfeel double plus good...
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    N1AK wrote: »
    Being called Moronic by someone who hasn't even been able to grasp what the debate is about; par for the course on a forum without logical reasoning tests on registering I suppose :rotfl:

If you were informed, rather than ignorant yet vocal, you'd know that we aren't talking about, nor are Muslims asking to be given, interest free loans. I'd spend time explaining the idea of sharia borrowing and how it works to you but I have almost as much doubt about whether you could understand it as I do about whether you'd even read it to try.
    I haven't called anyone moronic but then I cannot, neither am I inclined to help you with comprehension skills. I also note that you selectively quote me out of context. When people start ridiculing others, playng the person as oppsoed to playing the ball, you know you've made your mark and I am sorry it took just two posts to get you palpitating. On that note I intend to end this exhcnage with you because you haven't offered me any substance to work on, other than that the touchiness, that deep seated insecurities, inferiority complex and many othe unenlightened traits shared by the brotherhood community is an utter turn off.

Back on topic, yes, there should be different options to finance and fund education, but ofcourse not without a debate, specially if it irritates the hell out of some folks :rotfl:
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "they" are "us". We do not have a policy of sending say all Catholics to Rome, protestants to Germany, Jews to Israel, Buddhists to... you get the idea. We accept all religions and need to try to improve things for us whatever our religion happens to be, so we can be inclusive, for the benefit of all of us.

Creating under-classes with limited opportunities is bad for the rest of society, regardless of the religion of those involved.
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    Muslims don't need to pay for their degrees. Nor does anyone living in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. They can relocate to Scotland. After 3 years they are entitled to free education just like any other Scot.

If they are in Northern Ireland, they can get immediate access to free education, as long as they also have Irish passports. Same for people who live elsewhere in Europe.

Thousands of people migrate from England to Scotland every year. I would think a significant portion of those are migrating because they don't want their children to have to pay £9k a year to go to university.

I don't believe in "user pays" for state education. It's about time Westminster sorted out its priorities and had health and education for English people where they belong - as the top priorities for spending. If it's good enough for the Scots, why not for the rest of Britain?
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Inclusive, the buzzword for the majority will have to change lifestyle because the minority dont like it.
    Be happy...;)
  • Figgerty
    Figgerty Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    If the students adhere strictly to Sharia law then I suppose only the men have this problem as we are told by the Taliban that it is unlawful for girls to be educated. This law is from the 8th? century where student loans or interest on loans or credit cards did not apply. I say they should take out the loan on terms applicable to all students instead of trying to find ways around this interest business and still paying 'a fee' instead of 'interest'. If you find that unacceptable then attend a University in a country where sharia law is the law of the land.

I have only recently found out that christians are forbidden from collecting together to practice their religion in some Muslim countries. No churches are allowed and those who want to practice their religion have to do so in private. Contrast that with all the allowances we make in the UK for other religions. I say let them fit in with our laws.
    Some Burke bloke quote: all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to say nothing. :silenced:
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dktreesea wrote: »
    I don't believe in "user pays" for state education. It's about time Westminster sorted out its priorities and had health and education for English people where they belong - as the top priorities for spending. If it's good enough for the Scots, why not for the rest of Britain?

Are universities state education?

Fees have always been charged. The only difference now is who pays them.
  • Figgerty
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    Hang on now - the laws of the land say that charging interest is perfectly legal. I don't have a problem with this.

The laws of the land also say that you are able to follow the religion of your choice. Again, I have no problem with that - do what you want.

But then people following said religion have a problem with something that is perfectly legal in this country. Hmmm. I would say you have a few choices here:-

1. Campaign in a democratic fashion to get the law changed IN A WAY THAT EVERY CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY HAS.

2. Accept that thats the law and the way things work IN A WAY THAT EVERY CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY HAS.

3. Leave the country and go and live somewhere else where you like the laws better IN A WAY THAT EVERY CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY HAS.

Also, can you imagine going to Saudi Arabia and telling them your upset with their laws because it affects your christian religion? What do you think would happen?

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say.

Why is it almost always the muslims that have problems with our law or culture. The other religions just go about their business without complaint and seem to have little problems living under our laws.
    Some Burke bloke quote: all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to say nothing. :silenced:
  • Figgerty
    edited 7 March 2013 at 9:44PM
    Options
    I want Martin to change the system on this site where I can only comment in his Blog if I belong to a social network. I have no desire to use Facebook. So please change the login for me and other Luddites.

Edit: Sorry, I suppose I must fit in with the majority and if that means I can't comment on his Blog then I suppose I must accept this.
  • ian_duncan_smith
    Options
    Oh dear, what a shame. Never mind.

If only there were muslim countries they could go to.

Bye then.

Best keep them away from courses that involve electrics/chemicals, just in case they get any "ideas" too. Better safe than sorry.

If only you hadn't enslaved black muslims and exploited their labour to build your country. If only you hadn't spent the best part of 250 years subjugating and sytematically stripping the third world of it's natural resources. If you hadn't done these things no one would have heard of Great Britain, and there would no immigration from there to here.

The Asian Muslims here today from the Indian sub-continant, and the countless Carribeans (or their parents and grandparents) were lured here after the second world war by a bankrupt Britain with chronic labour shortages. They helped put this country back on it's feet, and in return were promised a better future, and an equal stake for their future generations in the society they helped build. For you to now pass laws engineered to exclude and marginalise them from the entitlement that their forefathers have earned for them is a calous betrayal of the trust they placed in you. They worked hard and paid taxes that built the universities and hospitals that are the envy of the world.

One more thing, Asian's and other second/third/fourth generation immigrants still work hard and pay their taxes, even in the face of blatent and open discrimination. If this was not the case then I can pretty much guarantee that the Daily Mail stories about benefit cheats and people "exploiting" the system would be focused on Asians and Blacks, especially Muslims. The fact that these groups feature very rarely in these stories is in itself an unspoken comment on the general law abiding and hard working nature of these people. Of course you will find some bad apples in all communities the fact that you have to bring the entire international spectrum of Muslims from across the globe into frame before you can find enough to fuel any negative views you want to propagate about them is yet another testiment to how hard you find it to jutify your own negative view when go looking for evidence to back it up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure