Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• Hurdler
    Hurdler Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    With the exception of the kiddy tasks I could do with tackling all of those as well!

But alas start of a 10-12 hour shift so my poor Febreeze bottle for the mattresses stands forlown and unused, as does the ironing board and a plethora of Mr Muscle bottles!!!
    • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
    • MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
    • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2023 #70: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £667.95/£667.95
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi hurdler, doing a shift that long you have a very good excuse for not getting jobs done :)

I got some cleaning done, all the washing and ironing except the stuff still drying, just about to start the accounts soon once doctor who is over. :D

We went to Costco today, dh wanted to go as we have not been for ages but Saturday afternoon is probably not the best time.

Purchases were - £33.99 for a £40 cineworld voucher for the Inlaws for xmas and a chocolate panettone £5.99 (all for the xmas budget)

Plus industrial sized tubs of humous and tzatziki :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    I'm very excited this morning, I've been having a mooch around the xmas threads and someone has mentioned that in some £1 land stores they currently have those plastic stripey retro popcorn cinema tubs, I've been looking at them for weeks on ebay but they are a little pricey. I am going to have to go there this morning and try and get some, perfect for movie night xmas hampers for presents this year, fingers crossed they are in stock.

I've decided to stop drinking any alcohol for a little while, I think my hormones are all over the place at the moment I seem to have monthly events happening more frequently (sorry tmi!) and mood swings / hair loss etc. :( after a quick general google it seems caffeine and alcohol can have an effect , I already gave up caffeine so I guess I should abstain from alcohol for a bit.

Although we are going to my parents for Sunday lunch today , so perhaps I should start tomorrow :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    No popcorn tubs in £1 land yesterday , did get a few Halloween bits for the kids though, apparently we are "doing" Halloween again this year after a couple of years off going away instead :D

Feeling very drained at the moment and it's only Monday, I was hoping for an early night but have just spotted derren brown's infamous show is on at 9pm and it's the one I almost bought us all tickets for earlier in the year. (Resisted as it was so much money!)
  • newgirly
    Options
    Oops not posted for days :o another manic week, although on the plus side it was payday weds :T not even made the mortgage op yet, £1388 again :eek: a painful amount to be paying just to finish at end of term in 7 & 1/2 years.

The £1500 challenge is doing ok, £1056 in the envelope still (the exact amount of £11 per day from tomorrow until new year) plus about £20 ish in £1 coins in my purse. I've not really been doing big shops anymore , just frequent £1 land / mini tesco shops, we still seem to have lots of food, not sure where the money normally goes!

I did have a bit of extra cash as some tickets I bought for a show for the twins and dh to see at wembly a few months ago have been refunded as it's been cancelled, so I spent the money on 2x tshirts and 2x track suit bottoms each as it was an unexpected bonus.

Back later to catch up on diaries :)
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Oops not posted for days :o another manic week, although on the plus side it was payday weds :T not even made the mortgage op yet, £1388 again :eek: a painful amount to be paying just to finish at end of term in 7 & 1/2 years.

Back later to catch up on diaries :)

That is a big amount but look how quick the balance will come down. You are also in a much stronger financial position now to make those repayments. Have you got spreadsheet/bricks to track your progress?
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi cath, I still have a homemade picture of the house with colour in bricks but I have not filled it in for ages plus the value of the house has gone up by a third since I drew it. I might have do make a new one now you have reminded me of it :)

The housework is getting a bit out of hand again, so I'd thought I'd rejoin the fly ladies tomorrow. I need to get much stricter with myself , I've felt a bit fed up lately and have let things slide. I am struggling to keep on top of everything and it's making me feel quite stressed, it seems like trying to relax and rest more is what I need but it think it might be the other way round and I need a better routine to feel more in control. Plus a family that helped a bit more would be a bonus :o

Account shuffling still not done from payday weds :eek: not like me at all, I shall do it after I've cleaned the bathrooms , I think dh is keen to go to a local classic car show today, I don't mind going but it is all a massive danger zone as he is desperate to buy a classic again , fingers crossed there is nothing he likes and nothing "cheap" :rotfl:
  • newgirly
    Options
    First day of flyladying fail! Work, doctors appt for me this morning and then a call from school for ds2 as he had a suspected broken wrist, 4 1/2 hours in the poly clinic later and thankfully it's not broken. So quite a day.

Accts and shuffle soon to be done if I can stay awake, but the really exciting news of the day is ...... Our local (ish) lidl now accepts cc's :j I am so happy, now I think I have to change back to a mainly cc system, I've been cash only for ages and tbh it's trickier due to buying more online and having to put cash back in the bank.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glad the wrist wasn't broken!

I know how you feel about housework! I am too tired after work to do it in the evenings and it builds up. If I had time to do a massive spring clean I could keep on top of it. There is a page I follow or liked at some point on Facebook and on the blog there is a 31 day cleaning purge.

http://www.abowlfulloflemons.net/

For me I think decluttering is where I need to start.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Options
    Oh wow cath that site looks fantastic , thanks :D

No cleaning at all been done as I've been off work ill yesterday and today with a virus. I am feeling guilty though so might try to go in a couple of hours later today if I can get off the sofa. :o

Finally did the money shuffle today and now need to find last months update so I can work out what's been paid off.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback