Daughter earning while at college

My 17 yo daughter is in full time education but her 'Saturday job' is proving to be more profitable than she first imagined. After being the brew n brush girl for a local hairdressers during her last year at school, she has since proved to be a very talented make-up artist in her own right with plenty of personal bookings. We've never considered the need to declare her 'pocket-money' earnings before but now it's actually becoming a consideration. In the last 3 months she's earned around £1,000 per month and with prom season coming up she is likely to surpass that average - so my question is, does she need to declare her earnings or at least see an accountant to discuss whether she needs to fill out self-assessment forms. While she is in full time education she still views this as a hobby so I'm not even sure if she will still be doing this in 6 months, plus she does spend a lot of her earnings on kit / product / tools etc so it's not ALL profit. She is now making a detailed spreadsheet to show her incomings and outgoings so we can have a clearer idea of how much she is making - but at what figure do we need to say 'time to declare'? She has another year on her present college course before deciding whether to continue on into university etc.
I hope I have posted this in the correct forum, if not please feel free to redirect me.
:easter:

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family