Options

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    :rotfl: I second Karmacat.

Anyhow, welcome back, Ed. :)

Hope your daughter is better or at least getting there and the new job is going well.

Quite surprised to hear you've bought a car. :eek: However, you can't tell us that information without telling us what it is. :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yay return of Ed :)

I don't feel so bad about my cc debt now, which is almost entirely new car too (albeit a year ago now!) :D if Ed's doing it then it can't have been too bad a decision :rotfl:
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Anyhow, welcome back, Ed. :)

Hope your daughter is better or at least getting there and the new job is going well.

Quite surprised to hear you've bought a car. :eek: However, you can't tell us that information without telling us what it is. :D

Thanks Alex :)

DD is just about better, still barking a little. We have taken her back to nursery this morning and she wasn't too timid.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not telling you what car I bought as you're a car snob :rotfl:
    Yay return of Ed :)

I don't feel so bad about my cc debt now, which is almost entirely new car too (albeit a year ago now!) :D if Ed's doing it then it can't have been too bad a decision :rotfl:

Trust me, if Ed jumps off a bridge, don't do it! :D

We are having a rare couple day off today as Mrs E has been in hospital for a minor medical doohicky. Nothing that really needs a day off, but it's nice to get a chance to rest.

I have processed a couple loads of laundry and the ridiculous amount of recycling we'd got from Christmas parcels being delivered. Mrs E has changed the bed and we're going to pop out for a cheapo lunch and to drop off a couple of parcels. Also making some pumpkin soup - trying to get ahead on tasks as I'm in a conference until late tomorrow.

Fun stuff this afternoon, we'll probably watch a movie and choose a couple of Christmas presents for DD online.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    :rotfl: I'm not sure a liking for 50 year old British tin makes me a car snob. :D Could have sold you a nice Triumph 2500S for a lot less than £20,000 had you wished to join the club, though. ;)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Are you pleased with your house? It must be a year or so now?
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Are you pleased with your house? It must be a year or so now?

2 years actually SHS :)

We are pleased with our house in that it's more attractive and far less cluttered than it was. At a basic level, however, I have a feeling that it is just a tiny bit too small for our needs as a family (existing family, this isn't exciting news) ;)

It still needs a bit more love and ongoing maintenance to look its best, we'll be staying 'til at least the end of 2020 before deciding whether or not there will be a next step.

£26.22 paid off CCs (balance of satnav sale), remembered to post my old phone to C3x.

On a totally unrelated note, I went on my first professional conference in 7-8 years yesterday, it went very well :)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good lord, two years, Ed? Wow!

Would it be worth building an extension, upwards or outwards or both, especially if you're happy with the area?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    edited 9 November 2017 at 10:16PM
    Options
    Quite possibly KC. It wouldn't take a whole lot to make it a more viable space. Something like a single storey extension (kitchen outwards, add a shower room and a bedroom (granny annex)) would probably be more than sufficient. We shall see :)

Would consider building a self contained (locks on our side) granny annex and using @irbnb or similar to help pay it off. It could then be used by DD if/when she's a student (Glasgow has great universities, but I appreciate she'd want her own space if she's anything like her folks).

Fancy coffee has turned up - they've reduced the minimum spend for free delivery - so should be able to order 3 times a year (instead of twice). Fresher coffee for the same price :coffee:
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Managed to get our Christmas wrapping paper and some lovely decorative ribbon for less than a fiver last night (3 rolls of paper, go L1dl!) Luckily Mrs E liked it, I was 50/50 as to whether WWIII would commence over making such a decision unilaterally.

Boiler serviced today, which was £60 I would rather not spend, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than having it repaired :money: That reminds me, our bean to cup machine is due its free service as well :think:

DD has finally gone down for a nap, this morning has been exhausting. Her sleep has been really poor of late and I think the sleep deficit has caught up with me, I feel like a grump zombie :o

Another Christmas present has shown up this morning and I've got a quick chicken roasting in the oven a la Thomas Keller ;)

£1.60 paid off the CCs, cashback.
  • Jenjenjen17
    Options
    Hi Ed, I was a long time lurker on your old thread and have just come across your new diary, just wanted to pop in and say hello and glad you are back!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback