Gold chain

This might be an unusual request but, for the first time in my life, I am getting a bonus. I am going to clear my debts and, instead of saving, thought I might buy myself a gold necklace chain, something discreet, something I can wear but which I could sell on for similar money that I have paid if I ever needed it.

Does anyone know if this is a good or bad idea and what I should look for when buying it in terms of minimising losses on resale.

Thanks.

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    IMO buy for vanity if that's your bag but unless your getting a really good deal on a second hand ebay item (and you really have to know what you're looking for and how to spot a fake if you didn't want to factor in further costs to verify it's authenticity) but I'd say your fooling yourself thinking your buying an item of jewellery to sell on if needs be- pure gold itself is super soft and cannot be made into a necklace you could wear without issues, gold necklaces are normally a gold alloy (mixed gold with something else) so it doesn't soften to destruction.

This is also assuming you don't get mugged, take it off to do something and then have it stolen or lose or damage it or that wear and tear (which happens to all gold) doesn't then mean you find part of the gold has worn down and worn away.

That is assuming you were wanting to wear it and not keep it in a box under your bed...
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2018 at 1:12AM
    You will never get the same money back on shop brought gold

The industry is high lever model, sale it high, buy it back low.

Plus the price of gold fluctuates up and down wildly sometimes, effecting the above.

The only gold you may make money on is old gold, antique style stuff. And that is to do with more the intrinsic value not the gold content.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income