We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

New lawn mower choice??

cyclonebri1
cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
Getting ready to replace the petrol mower. Also getting older.
Only ever had push type machines but was considering a power drive version but given my lawn has quite a few islands/cutouts etc, not sure if it's the correct way to go.

So a couple of queries,
I assume there is a clutch that is pulled in to disconnect the drive to the wheels? Yes /no

Is there a clutch that stops the cutting blade, talking rotary here, whilst allowing power to the wheels? Thinking in terms of the uphill route I have back to the garden shed from the front lawn where I have to go over some gravelled areas.

In other words exactly how does a powered drive mower work?
I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed

Comments

• aylesby
    aylesby Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Same back story as yourself last month but I stayed with a push mower after reading reviews on the reliability of the powered versions. Bought a Izy 466 at £334 from an online authorised dealer without problems. I noticed prices fluctuated on a daily basis.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    As far as I know, all petrol powered mowers are the same, but I wait to be corrected.
    Two levers on the handle. Hold one in and blade goes round, hold second in and drive chain/band contacts blade drive, and gives wheels traction. Therefore, you can stop the drive and manually push and adjust angle before engaging drive again. However, release first lever, and engine and blade stop.

I don't know if non ride on mowers that keep the engine running but blade not turning. It's possible some of the electric ignition start do that, and they might make more sense if you are - finally - beginning to feel your age.

So, yes clutch for drive, but no, no clutch for blade as far as I know.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 May 2018 at 6:41PM
    Many petrol mowers, especially for the domestic market, stop the engine when you stop the blade, so you can't keep the engine running to drive over gravel, you just have to stop the engine and push it.

Spend more money and you'll get a BBC - blade brake clutch. This means the engine will run while the blade is stopped, and you can drive the mower over gravel.

Plus points of BBC is being able to drive it over rough terrain without the blade spinning. You don't have to restart the engine with the pull cord every time you stop to empty the bag. Minus points - cost, something else to go wrong, weight.

Saying that, there IS an Izy available at a fairly low budget with a blade brake https://www.mowers-online.co.uk/honda-izy-41-16-self-propelled-petrol-lawn-mower?product_id=22&search=blade%20brake&description=1&page=2
  • cyclonebri1
    Very useful, cheers guys:beer: That's the info I needed.:T

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 November 2018 at 12:16AM
    Have you looked at the battery self propelled mowers? No starting pull cords, lighter, no engine servicing, no fuel to run out of etc
    https://theperfectgarden.co.uk/strimmers-trimmers-hedgecutters-and-lawn-mowers-the-power-to-go-cordless/
  • cyclonebri1
    I haven't because I don't find mains units have enough power let alone battery operated ones. Battery tools are superb, I have a full range of DeWalt kit, just don't think something you want higher power from and to be reliable for possibly 10 years is the place for battery tech (yet)

• cyclonebri1
    Because I believe in ending topics correctly;

I didn't go with a blade brake machine, just a powered mower.

I bought 2nd hand in true MSE style.

3 year old M51-160CMDALU. a rebadged husqvarna with a proper Honda engine and for not a lot of money. Every mower I've ever had has mey it's maker because the deck rotted out before the engine gave up, this one is aluminium so:

See how we go.

Thanks again

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Getting ready to replace the petrol mower. Also getting older.
    Only ever had push type machines but was considering a power drive version but given my lawn has quite a few islands/cutouts etc, not sure if it's the correct way to go.

When I bought my mower a few years ago, I went for one that was light in weight.
    A Sovereign Push Petrol Lawnmower, 21kg compared to your 33kg; it is cheap n cherful, but doing ok.
  • cyclonebri1
    I still have the not so old old mower and a good strimmer which means I can get round the edges more easily but the reason I wanted the self drive unit is that my lawn is quite steep and large at the back of the house and the uphill stretches are hard work. (but good exercise);).

• Rummer65
    Rummer65 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Mountfield SP185 45cm 125cc Self-Propelled Rotary Petrol Lawn Mower From Screwfix. We have one of these at work it does the job ok
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure