Help to keep me honest

Hi everyone,

I have been reading many of the diaries and posts on this forum and there are so many inspirational people and individual struggles going on out there. I have had my own light bulb moment a couple of months ago when I realised that we have been living beyond our means for a while now, and I have been kind of in denial about this. Our unsecured debt had reached £17,420 :eek: . I am married and have a 17 year old son who is about to go to University in September 2016 and we will need money to support him also. About four years ago I changed career and took a significant drop in income, this was to try to find a better work life balance. My wife has a long term condition which means that occasionally she can get quite ill and exhausted and me being away all the time wasn’t really sustainable. Anyway, we did try to adapt to the lower income but in the end our spending exceeded our income. We had a special holiday a couple of years ago, to be honest because I wasn’t sure what the future held at that point. Some of the debt originated then. In the last couple of months, I have followed some of the advice and developed a detailed budget using YNAB, and I have cut back in many areas to the point where I can see the way forward to paying off this debt. But I realise that this is a change for life, and I need to keep honest. Occasionally, recently I still found myself kidding myself buying the odd thing on the credit card and ignoring the spend. So my aim with this diary is to post as regularly as I possibly can and record as honestly as I can what I am doing. I feel I need this community to keep going on this journey, since I know the pressure I will come under to spend, even if that pressure is coming from me!

Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 

Comments

• Hey!

Good luck with everything - it is quite daunting at first. I found it hard to admit that I had a spending problem, it was always on my credit card and would be used for almost anything. Now I have been concentrating on my debt for a few months I now find it really hard to buy things? I just don't feel the need to, even when in the shops? weird. The only thing I probably do spend too much on is food - but am still trying to cut back. Anyhow, you'll get into the swing of things! Its almost addictive!
    Debt: £9,750/[STRIKE] £27,000[/STRIKE] loan - monthly payments of £450. Overpaying £850 a month.
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Good luck! :)
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £198.36/200

Decluttering 849/2024 Awards 🥇
    (15/04/24)
  • Thanks Lacherlich and wishus for your encouraging words. I have definitely been an impulse buyer, especially on line. I have stuck my last credit card in the back of a drawer at work! I am keeping it in case I need it for some reason, but otherwise intend not to use it ever again. Spending using the debit card definitely gives me more pause for thought. On the food shopping front, I am embarrassed to admit that we have been spending over £150 per week in Sainsbury. This is now coming down due to meal planning and the fact that my OH is vegetarian and now the son has decided he is too, so we hardly buy any meat. Also moving away from brands and just being more aware of what we are spending. Still coming in at £80-100 per week, this is nowhere near what others on these forums are achieving I realise that, much more work to do, I am still learning. Just pausing to think is half the battle.
  • Hi

I shredded my credit card as had tried to 'save it for emergencies' before and it didn't work ha. You're probably more disciplined than me. I had to balance transfer from it a couple of times in my first month as money was so tight, but since then I've not had to use it and have finally started paying it off.

We've started doing our shopping online now, and I definitely think that has helped. We buy most of the food we think we'll need for our main meals to last the month (short life stuff feeds us for the first week or so - then make meals out of the frozen/tinned stuff for the rest - this works out quite well as we still get variety in our meals over the month) - plus a few treats to last a week or two. Then the rest is done via small top-ups. We hardly ever go to ASD'A' now as rarely urgently need stuff - and this stops us impulse buying whilst we're there!
    Debt: £9,750/[STRIKE] £27,000[/STRIKE] loan - monthly payments of £450. Overpaying £850 a month.
  • p.s plus you can easily search for all the food on offer! if you're not too fussy about the brand etc this can save a few ££
  • Hi
    Thanks for this, great food for thought. :) Do you know, I might just shred that card after all! Whilst it is there it is kind of a comfort blanket. I must try the online shopping. Last night I was checking out my Nectar card which I have had for ages without really figuring out what I could do with it, but found out I have enough points to save £25 if I shop online with Sainsbury, so there is an incentive to do it. I guess you can find the cheapest prices as well. We should be part of the way there since we are meal planning now so we know what we want to buy.
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 3 November 2015 at 6:32PM
    Hi,

A little point re the Nectar card. If you need to spend the points on food, do so but if you can save them...... and right now holidays would not be very MSE but.... you can use nectar points against easyjet flights. Also if you have car/s and BP service stations are local and not the highest price, use them to fill up and get more points.

I definitely agree with online shopping. I haven't been able to do it for a few weeks but will start again next week. It's a real eye opener as to how much is spent on impulse buys in the actual supermarket.

Good luck on your journey to debt freedom.
  • Hi,

A little point re the Nectar card. If you need to spend the points on food, do so but if you can save them...... and right now holidays would not be very MSE but.... you can use nectar points against easyjet flights. Also if you have car/s and BP service stations are local and not the highest price, use them to fill up and get more points.

I definitely agree with online shopping. I haven't been able to do it for a few weeks but will start again next week. It's a real eye opener as to how much is spent on impulse buys in the actual supermarket.

Good luck on your journey to debt freedom.

Hi the greenone,

:) Thanks for this. Good idea I will look out for more opportunities to use this card in the future.
  • glass_half_full
    glass_half_full Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 4 November 2015 at 9:25AM
    Good morning diary and all,

I have booked the day off, hope to have a relaxing day. Last night went to a ballroom and latin class with the OH. I will admit to a couple of hobbies which I am going to keep going with because to be honest they keep me sane! The dancing isn't cheap, but then again neither of us is paying for gym membership because this is how we get our exercise. I also have a half hour piano lesson once a week for £8, which is pretty good value I reckon. I have recently adopted YNAB and it has helped me in two ways at least. Firstly, when I budgeted for November it brought home to me some hard choices. For example, if I wanted to keep going with the hobbies and build up a buffer, then there really isn't much left over for holidays. And so I realised that this coming summer, we are going to have to really economise and holiday really cheaply if at all. But weirdly I felt ok about that because I understood that for me keeping going on the hobbies and building up a buffer are much more important at the moment. The second big lesson is to do with overspending. The idea here is that if you overspend in a category, you need to try to find that money from somewhere else in the budget. This has happened a couple of times so far. It has made me think again about some areas of expense and look for savings. This is all really common sense stuff, all about choices and priorities. But previously, I would probably have let the credit card deal with some of that. I guess we all have our own priorities and they make sense to us. The difference for me on this debt free journey is that one of those priorities is to pay down the debt.

This caught my eye on the BBC website yesterday

- About two million people - 6.9% of cardholders - are in arrears or have defaulted on credit card
    - Another two million may be struggling to repay
    - A further 1.6 million are repeatedly making only the minimum repayments on their debts

So this means that approx. 20% or 1 in 5 credit card holders in the UK have serious debt problems with their credit cards. Food for thought.
  • Hello!

I also saw that BBC article, saying how the people who always use their credit cards or just pay off the minimum are so profitable for them . That motivates me even more to clear it as don't like the thought I am partly being exploited for their gain. Granted the credit card helped me buy a few things I wouldn't have able to afford at the time (the main reason why I am in debt now...) - but once I was suckered into the credit card world I just kept spending! Its how they catch you.

Sounds like you are on your way to budgeting for food - we try to assign around £200 a month for food (there only two of us) but would easily spend £100-£200 more just on the regular top-ups visits. Id head in for milk and walk out having spent £30!

Also in regards to your credit card - if you want to keep the account 'open' so it truly serves as an emergency fund, you wont really need the card anyway. If worst comes to worse you can transfer funds from it to your main account. Not having a physical card to use has pretty much stopped any spending I'd make in its tracks.

Definitely good to keep up your hobbies! You might even be able to further justify them because of the savings you make to your food bill - and still put some aside for a holiday. We had a cheap holiday down to Weymouth this year, and it was actually really good! So already planning another UK trip next year,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure