The Alternative Green Energy Thread

Options

Comments

• joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla didn't already have that info.

They do. Theres an issue coming up with the amount of data logging in the model S as they reach the limit of the old style inbuilt memory.

Another interesting research piece was liking the early evs to the likes of uber etc where they sell at a loss just to get their hands on the usage data.

If your car is communicating with anything without using your home wifi then it will be logging remotely. Look at home batteries and solar, solaredge and sofar dont host my data on their servers for free for no good reason....
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The rate of fraud would probably be a lot better than income tax compliance. Cross checks could be made with the MOT database, V5, service records, ... or even ANPR if you want to go really 'Big Brother' & prove a case of suspected clocking. BEVs could also be required to upload usage data daily which would make fraud a lot more difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla didn't already have that info.

Presumably if one had purchased for oneself one of the many devices advertised on Amazon for the purpose the unscrupulous among us could reset to an appropriate figure each year before the MOT. Not too many ANPR cameras in Lincolnshire so it might appeal to some of the local ne'er-do-wells. Might be more difficult in other areas. I wouldn’t be surprised if some PCP customers weren’t doing it already. Maybe with all the sophisticated electronics in today’s BEVs it would be more difficult than in the ICEs of a few years ago.

I am not recommending it of course. I don’t want to spend the last few years left to me banged up for the sake of a few quid.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,074 Forumite
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    .....Not too many ANPR cameras in Lincolnshire so it might appeal to some of the local ne'er-do-wells. .....

Why would they buy a BEV when red diesel is so cheap?;)
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,793 Forumite
    Options
    Why would they buy a BEV when red diesel is so cheap?;)

They wouldn’t if they had any sense as there is nowhere to charge them. When I was looking for my Leaf I had the choice of a couple in Grimsby or the one I bought in Grantham.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    Re BEVs this looks interesting

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-la-motor-show/toyota-rav4-plug-hybrid-launched-298bhp-powertain

A plug in hybrid with decent electric range and good performance
    These types of cars will be lighter cheaper and can be produced in scale much more rapidly since they require less batteries which the world doesn't produce enough of

You could achieve perhaps as much as 95% of annual miles as all electric with such plug in cars especially if public chargers where everywhere

I've said for a long time it should and likely will be ICE --> hybrid --> plug in hybrid --> BEV
    There isn't the capacity or demand to jump from ICE to pure BEV
    Going to hybrids is no change in consumer habits and can be 25% fuel savings
    Going to plug in hybrids is small chance and could achieve 90% fuel savings
    These are very very significant savings

And plug in hybrids will also get better and better probably at the same rate as pure BEVs as it's more or less the same technology. In fact more so because I'd argue batteries for full range BEVs are already good enough so don't benefit hugely from additional power or capacity. Going from a 250 mile 200HP Tesla to a 300 mile 240HP Tesla isn't a huge difference. Going from a 25 mile 80HP to 30 mile 100HP plug in is a big difference
  • 1961Nick
    Options
    GreatApe wrote: »
    Re BEVs this looks interesting

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-la-motor-show/toyota-rav4-plug-hybrid-launched-298bhp-powertain

A plug in hybrid with decent electric range and good performance
    These types of cars will be lighter cheaper and can be produced in scale much more rapidly since they require less batteries which the world doesn't produce enough of

You could achieve perhaps as much as 95% of annual miles as all electric with such plug in cars especially if public chargers where everywhere

I've said for a long time it should and likely will be ICE --> hybrid --> plug in hybrid --> BEV
    There isn't the capacity or demand to jump from ICE to pure BEV
    Going to hybrids is no change in consumer habits and can be 25% fuel savings
    Going to plug in hybrids is small chance and could achieve 90% fuel savings
    These are very very significant savings

And plug in hybrids will also get better and better probably at the same rate as pure BEVs as it's more or less the same technology. In fact more so because I'd argue batteries for full range BEVs are already good enough so don't benefit hugely from additional power or capacity. Going from a 250 mile 200HP Tesla to a 300 mile 240HP Tesla isn't a huge difference. Going from a 25 mile 80HP to 30 mile 100HP plug in is a big difference
    How on earth did Toyota manage to only get 69bhp/litre out of the petrol engine? It shouldn’t really need anything bigger than a 1.8 to achieve 173 bhp.

50+ electric only miles would have been better.
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • joefizz
    Options
    GreatApe wrote: »

I was supposed to be going to the Altiplano in January, primarily to visit friends but been warned against coming due to unrest in Chile and recent 'coup' in Bolivia. My friends there worded it as a coup by foreign powers.... Maybe no more wars over oil, something else instead...

Anyway I digress, coincidently had a look at the rav4 specs posted and remember reading something about some study had worked out that the battery only bit is optimum at around 32 miles/50km range which would in most cases be the 80/20 rule for journeys.
    I had been looking at the outlander phev in the summer but the battery only range is just a little too short for me.

I really do dislike the way the car market has been following the us for years with the suv and pickup markets (mentioned in the other thread, once you go out of the blue cities then thats it pretty much for vehicles) but have to say the alfa tonale looks superb ;-)

This and next winter will be the ones where we start to find out if the grids can cope with evs, the frequency of stor use will be a good indicator.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    How on earth did Toyota manage to only get 69bhp/litre out of the petrol engine? It shouldn’t really need anything bigger than a 1.8 to achieve 173 bhp.

Because torque produced at low revs is considered more important than BHP is some applications.

A racing motorcycle engine of around 350cc(0.35litre) could produce 173bhp, but it wouldn't be much use in a Toyota RaV4;)
  • 1961Nick
    edited 22 November 2019 at 2:05PM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Because torque produced at low revs is considered more important than BHP is some applications.

A racing motorcycle engine of around 350cc(0.35litre) could produce 173bhp, but it wouldn't be much use in a Toyota RaV4;)

It's not a truck! A 1.8 litre petrol turbo would have more than enough torque for a small SUV with electrical assistance.

The full fat Range Rover 400e hybrid makes do with a 2.0 litre engine (300bhp).
  • joefizz
    Options
    It's not a truck! A 1.8 litre petrol turbo would have more than enough torque for a small SUV with electrical assistance.

Would that tow a boat/caravan/trailer though?

I tow my boat with a 1.6 turbo diesel and the initial torque is all that really matters. Recent law changes about rated towing vs plated capacity might mean its required? Dont know but I know the changes mean its more difficult for me to find a car to tow the boat to the trailers rated capacity rather than the actual weight/mass.
    Anybody know the score with towing with hybrids?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback