Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    It's on my list pollypenny. I wold like to do a qualification in garden design, mostl for my own interest, but a small side gig would be nice:).
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 December 2017 at 3:58PM
    sukysue wrote: »
    Katiehound you sound very together Great work! I do wonder what sort of Animal is a trialie lol I am thinking an Australian collie ? Yes ? Sorry for being so dense and nosy lol . Your life sounds just perfect !

No, my life's not perfect but luckily I am a glass half-full person so I do see the best in things.
    If I'm really down (there were moments when each knee was painfully infected!) I phone one particular friend who hears the signs and starts a stupid conversation! We have the same daffy sense of humour...

My trailies? Well they are Lakeland Trailhounds. Have a look here to find out more:
    http://www.trailhoundwelfare.org.uk/

My two are the first story here- Shyla & Shay
    http://www.trailhoundwelfare.org.uk/category/stories/
    and if scroll down the thread to story #6 you can read about my very special Katie(hound.) She was an amazing dog and because I was retired I was able to do all kinds of things with her that I would never have done when working. Her name lives on....on this forum!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    YoungScot wrote: »
    I have also kind of pruned down the people I catch up with......if I haven't come home thinking I've had a lovely blether today I come to the realisation that sone people only had work in common with me and it's time to let go. Sounds callous but it works both ways and I want meeting up to be a joy not a chore for any of us. Probably they are relieved as well.....they do say that you have different friends for different stages in your life!
    If anything , I now know the remaing few better as we have time to chat about things that actually matter to us as individuals.......

Absolutely
    It's really important that your friendships support you, and yes we do rely on some people more than others at different times - but don't let them completely disappear. It's a two way street.

What I found was crucial was to axe any 'toxic friendships'. I used to have an aquaintance who was forever phoning me at inconvenient times. That was bad enough, but she was always always complaining about this thing and that thing and people too. Now yes, I mutter and complain but try to balance the bad with the good.
    No, her's were all always bad.... I started not to answer the phone everytime, be 'sorry I'm going out with dogs etc' and then the calls ceased.
    Bliss
    If I'm feeling at all down I think of 3 things to be grateful for that day.......
    Keep friends who keep you positive and happy. There's enough bad things going on in the world....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • After only 4 days I'm noticing I'm sleeping better.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • bugslet
    fatbeetle wrote: »
    After only 4 days I'm noticing I'm sleeping better.

you have no idea how jealous I am!

Katiehound, I hadn't come across trailhounds before, lovely looking dogs and good personalities by the looks of it.

Visited a friend last week for the first time since she got a rescue Borzoi ten weeks ago. Smitten, would be the word.

Wandering off topic a bit, I would love to re-home this girl

https://www.freshfields.org.uk/animals/millie-2/

If I wasn't at work, it would be a given.:(
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,160 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Another benefit of retirement! We have this little treasure training us at the moment!23511295_10156726172537646_5510846483465001720_o.jpg?oh=2bb71fb9d377060295aaf328a29c2be7&oe=5AD5679B
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • bugslet
    That's a scratchable tummy!
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Wow, some interesting posts over the past 24 hrs that definitely resound with me.
    Misslayed wrote: »
    I did supply for a year or so too, but a new head started and things changed. Stuff was fixed which wasn’t broken. Relationships changed and the morale in the staff room was at rock bottom. When I got to the point of dreading that early morning phone call I knew it was time to stop. Never looked back!

I was a "real" teacher before I became a teacher in HE and have several old college friends who either did supply or went part-time after retirement/semi-retirement. Lots of moans and groans from them about similar issues. I think overall that teachers are more invested in the job than many professions, but also that they don't see the dysfunctionality of modern teaching until they get the chance to step back in retirement. I think it's the frog-in-a-saucepan analogy - over the years teaching has just got more and more dysfunctional but at a rate that you almost don't notice when you are in the middle of it.
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Yes, I'm single and I don't really have any family.
    My mother went into residential care about a year before I retired as a temporary measure but then I had her property to sell just about when I retired so I was very thankful for the time.
    She died some years ago, all of the family left are 2 older cousins who live 200 miles away and one cousin's daughter. Yes, there are other children but I don't keep in touch with them as they are farflung , have sproglets, have never been in my sphere! So I'm pretty much on my own.

I rely on my friends: I have an electic selection from primary school, senior school, college and then working in different places. The majority live all over the place - not quite Landsend to John O'Groats - but miles away. I have some local friends too. All are accessible on the phone.

It was quite a limited selection of folk who helped me last year when I had 2 x knee replacements but I got through!

I'm fortunate that although as a child we didn't have 2 half pennies to rub together- money was very tight- I am now fine. When you are used to saving and making do it stands you in good stead.
    I'm lucky now that I have money for cruising, a holiday home and my two beautiful trailies! and lots of lovely friends too. Although I mutter at this time of year 'cos it's dark I'm usually up around 7am so quick dog walk and then 3/4 hour swim... and then whatever that day brings.

Life is what you make it.
    If you are not sure exactly what you want may I suggest a 'bucket list' and a 'gratitude book' - you might surprise yourself.

The most important thing is that you do what you want, and that you enjoy it.
    Have fun folks. We don't know what is around the corner and there are no pockets in shrouds.............

I'm single also, and have lived in many different countries and towns as part of following the job. Interestingly, I have fewer friends where I currently live than anywhere, despite the fact I have lived here the longest (11 years). I had one friend visit me once during my 5-week recovery from TKR. Now I am no longer tied to the area by my job, I am looking at moving back to England.
    YoungScot wrote: »
    Had a pretty restless sleep so decided to get up and go downstairs for a cup of tea at 4am......would NEVER have contemplated that when I was working......would just have lay stressing about being tired for work and watching the clock while doing a mental countdown till I had to get up! If I'm tired all day today then so what.....will just have a wee relaxing day and an early night to catch up!

Can definitely identify with that. I don't necessarily sleep better, but do sleep longer and don't fret if I wake up at 2 a.m. Old me: "OMG!! 2 a.m.! I only went to sleep 2 hours ago! I have to get up in 3 hours! What if I can't get back to sleep? Must get to sleep!!" New me: "Hmm, what time is it? Oh, it's only 2 a.m., I have lots of sleep left and don't have to get up for hours yet. Aaaahhhhh!!!!"
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    I'm curious whether any of you are contemplating a move now you are retired? Having always lived where the work was, and moved 8 times since 1983, I have often felt a bit disconnected with the places I lived, especially as I had no family with me. Now I have the option to choose where I live, I'm looking at one more move before the Big Sleep. ;-)

I'm also looking at getting another dog, but think it needs to wait until after I move. Having said that, my last dog was a rescue who moved with me four times (three of them involving transAtlantic moves!)
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    dunroving wrote: »
    I'm curious whether any of you are contemplating a move now you are retired? Having always lived where the work was, and moved 8 times since 1983, I have often felt a bit disconnected with the places I lived, especially as I had no family with me. Now I have the option to choose where I live, I'm looking at one more move before the Big Sleep. ;-)

I'm also looking at getting another dog, but think it needs to wait until after I move. Having said that, my last dog was a rescue who moved with me four times (three of them involving transAtlantic moves!)

I have no intention of moving. I did think about it, I would have liked either somewhere by the sea or somewhere isolated, but with age comes mobility and fitness worries and here is where my (sparse) support network is.

So far I've not had to ask for help but I do have 1 friend who is willing to help with anything. And she has a husband and 2 strapping sons if I ever need any heavy lifting done!

I have no close family, just my Mother-in-Law and Sister-in-Law. I see Mother-in-Law once a fortnight and Sister-in-Law when she wants something. I have several dog walking friends who I see every day and that is like a mini community, we do try to help each other when the need arises.

I am fairly "alone" but that's how I like it, everybody at arms length. I am not lonely. There isn't time.

I'm now 11 weeks into retirement and am as happy as a pig in.....you know the rest :rotfl: I don't miss work and rarely give it a second thought. However, mine was just a job, not a vocation and since stopping I have discovered how little I was thought of, having been shunned for having the cheek to want to retire! I'm trying not to be bitter :)
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure