WARNING - www.licenceplus.co.uk

Options
1235»

Comments

• Ceejai
    Ceejai Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    To suggest these people "make it clear" that they are not affiliated with the official web site is patently false.
  • Ceejai
    Options
    Good Luck with that@
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ceejai wrote: »
    I have tried to get a refund via "chargeback" and guess what, this only applies if money leaves your account After you have reported your card as lost/stolen.

How did you manage to fall for it ?

Car tax, tv licence etc have a .gov domain.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's simple, don't give any money to tv licensing plus, they are scammers.

Would be even more simpler if people would just think about the website they are going to use.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    To suggest these people "make it clear" that they are not affiliated with the official web site is patently false.

I think that when a company is dealing with the Public on behalf of an official body (in this case, the BBC) then both parties should be completely transparent about it.

Part of the problem is that the BBC and in particular its TV Licensing arm is very secretive in the way that it operates, and very sensitive about anything regarding its funds.
  • Ceejai
    Options
    If you pay by debit card you are not entitled to "chargeback". Nationwide are just not interested.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 May 2019 at 6:55PM
    Options
    If you pay by debit card you are not entitled to "chargeback".

This is not true.
    ... "chargeback" ... only applies if money leaves your account After you have reported your card as lost/stolen.

Neither is this.

Unfortunately, I think many banks may be reluctant to charge back payments that are apparently official tax payments, however, this doesn't make it impossible. There are further steps that can be taken with Banks, the FCA, the Police, Action Fraud, etc., especially if, after seeking confirmation it turns out that the Licence that has been paid for does not actually exist.

If this IS a fraud then there are elements that make it an ideal fraud: that less financially savvy people are targeted, and that being a tax payment makes investigation difficult. All the more reason why BBC-TV Licensing needs to get properly involved.

Even if LicencePlus IS legitimate, it is still a poor way to pay for a TV Licence due to possible delays in activation of the Licence, added interest (when there are already official payment plans) and vagueness over responsibilities.
  • TMR001
    TMR001 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 November 2019 at 6:23PM
    Options
    My wife fell for this when she did the renewal for the first time online in September this year.

We didn't realise there was an issue until we got a "Your home is now under investigation" letter from TV licensing a couple of weeks ago.

Once we realised what had happened (including finding this thread) and got over that "we have just been scammed" feeling"; I got on the quick chat on the Licence Plus website (as didn't like the look of the call charges for ringing them) and got a very speedy clarification that they hadn't bought the licence and was asked if I wanted a refund.

I was told it would take a week or so and was not very optimistic that it wasn't just a stalling tactic but I am pleased to say that on checking my account today the full refund is there.

I hope others are equally fortunate.
  • Scholsey26
    Options
    Me being stupid and tired it being 2am I played 175 for a year.. After reading the comments on here 3 days after I bought it I went straight on their chat and asked for a refund and I have had an email saying 3-5 working days so now just the wait...
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Scholsey26 wrote: »
    Me being stupid and tired it being 2am I played 175 for a year.. After reading the comments on here 3 days after I bought it I went straight on their chat and asked for a refund and I have had an email saying 3-5 working days so now just the wait...
    If tired and it's a speculative call, someone trying to sell you something, just put the phone down. I've had calls like this and I string them along until they get fed up or I get bored them hang up. They don't bother me now after the last one lasting nearly an hour in 2013.
    Someone please tell me what money is
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport