Storwood, York! Parking in York city centre? Or which park and ride?

MandM90
MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Hi there,

We're going to York for a few days next week for my birthday treat :j I've got a few fun things booked/planned on the itinerary

We will be 'commuting' in from Paradise Pods in Storwood. Can anyone recommend a good park and ride coming from that area? Is there generally plenty of space or should we be up and out early (not a problem on this hols as am pregnant so not drinking!) Or is there a bus from Selby into York city centre?

Also, for any local York(/shire) people, here is our rough itinerary for general comment - in case there's anything I've missed! We will have our 11 year old with us.

Mon
- Check into pods between 4 and 6pm, drive/bus into York, dinner booked at 7pm in York.

Tues - Yorvik museum (11am entry booked), lunch out, 3pm slot at DIG archeology experience, York ghost bus tour at 6pm

Weds - York Minster in morning, Afternoon Tea at Countess of York @12pm (booked), couple of hours in railway museum, planning on booking York Dungeons tour at about 4/4.30pm.

Thurs - North Yorks steam train - Pickering to Whitby. Managed to get a family ticket for £34! Drive to Pickering in the morning, train to Whitby, see Whitby Abbey, lunch out in Whitby, then either Captain Cook or Whitby Museum. Train home then supper in eco pod.

Fri
- check out of eco pods, day out in Yorkshire Dales - any ideas!?, check into spa hotel in Harrogate, venture out for dinner

Sat - Day out at Stockeld Park, picnic lunch, book somewhere nice in/nr Harrogate for supper

Sun
- breakfast and then drive home!

Comments

• byjimini
    byjimini Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hey, hope you enjoy the trip! I live and work in York and it's a lovely place to be.

I would definitely advise Park & Ride as the town gets pretty congested, and the bus will drop you right off in the middle. You'll be needing the Designer outlet P&R and it's £3.20 for the day; I cannot see anything online regarding a weekly pass as I think you have to be a regular to get a discount, but you can always ask at the ticket office there.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Use any Park and Ride - the one at York Outlet offers the shops if that's your thing. I have never seen them full. If one is full just continue around the ring road until you find the next one!

You are packing a lot in - you may need to be slightly less ambitious to do justice to what you are seeing.

Two hours isn't long at the Railway Museum - it's huge and being half term there may be extra activities organised. The free talks are always interesting.

Same for the Minster - it is well worth getting a tour (free), but they take about an hour. Lots to see after that.

Your Whitby day may also be OTT - Whitby Museum is fascinating, but not somewhere just to pop in for an hour - its also a walk out of town on the opposite side of the river to the Abbey. Captain Cook Museum is smaller and in the old town closer to the Abbey. For lunch the Duke of York at the bottom of the 199 Abbey steps is excellent - great views of the harbour.

Whitby to Harrogate you could go to Sutton Bank if the weather is good - great views, a White Horse and the gliders may be up.

Or a drive through the Dales - Masham (Black Sheep brewery), Hawes,(Wensleydale Creamery), Aysgarth, Cray, Kettlewell, Grassington then on to Harrogate.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2019 at 1:53PM
    Thank you both, really helpful! The reasoning for the 2 hrs at the railway museum is because neither DH nor DD actually want to go :rotfl:. I've sort of engineered it sneakily by booking the afternoon tea inside the museum, in the hope they'll be more amenable after cake. Perhaps I could do dungeons instead of the minster that morning (which I'd love to see but sentiment probably not shared by 11yo!) to give more time at railway museum and then if we end up leaving earlier we can do one of the 'experiences' (Barley Hall/Richard III/Henry VII) included in our Yorvik Pastport instead.

I may knock the museum off the Whitby trip then, I think we'll only be there 11.20-5.30 so perhaps just lunch, walk up the steps, explore abbey and then a wander before the train again?

Thanks again - very much looking forward to my first North Yorkshire experience!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure