buying car tyres

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My local fitter, who I wanted to use couldn't get within £15 of the blackcircles price, but my Dad pointed me towards F1 Autocentres, who were cheaper than blackcircles.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • My local tyre place is always a bit more expensive than the cheapest online price. I could even book cheaper online for a slot at his garage, but I can't emphasise enough how much his goodwill has been worth to me over the years so I don't mind the few quid extra.

When you need someone to help in a sudden crisis where time is critical having a local guy who'll pull out the stops helps!
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I used blackcircle but they used a backstreet fitter who damaged the wheels because they were run flat tyres.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Tom99 wrote: »
    I used blackcircle but they used a backstreet fitter who damaged the wheels because they were run flat tyres.

Surely it would be more correct to state that you chose a backstreet fitter who damaged the wheels. They clearly show who the fitter is before you choose to use them.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    takman wrote: »
    Surely it would be more correct to state that you chose a backstreet fitter who damaged the wheels. They clearly show who the fitter is before you choose to use them.
    Agreed. The order process includes seeing a selection of fitters within 5-10 miles of your postcode, and you get to choose which. However, most people would expect that a big outfit like Black Circles would have some rudimentary quality control over their fitters, even though they are careful not to use words like 'approved' on their website.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Richard53 wrote: »
    Agreed. The order process includes seeing a selection of fitters within 5-10 miles of your postcode, and you get to choose which. However, most people would expect that a big outfit like Black Circles would have some rudimentary quality control over their fitters, even though they are careful not to use words like 'approved' on their website.

They were all backstreet fitters to choose from, so I choose the nearest but when I got there they could not fit the tyres, as they were run flats. The tyres were then delivered to another backstreet fitter 10 miles away and when I got there they also could not fit the tyres. This second fitter then drove me round the corner to a third fitter who did fit the tyres and also damage the wheels.

So I would not recommend Blackcircle.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always look online first then ask my local tyre place if they can match the price. Usually they can, but not always. Sometimes they can't get hold of the tyres but are quite happy just to be paid to fit them.

They have told me that they appreciate me giving them a chance to quote.
  • joeblags
    joeblags Posts: 169 Forumite
    Local tyre fittings place are pretty amusing at times, I went to a local one and said I can get X tyre for £65 per tyre but I don't mind buying from you at £80 - 85 per tyre fitted. comes back and said it'll be £90 + fittings per tyre. i asked if i buy them online how much is fitting for 2 tyres, his quote was £20 per tyre... told him ill stick with the other local place i use instead.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Last time I needed tyres, I looked at the prices on-line. Then I went to the local back-street place that the on-line companies use. I'd been to that place before and had no problems with them.

I asked them how much a set of tyres were. They were just as cheap. Why bother faffing about ordering stuff on the net when the tyre fitters can order them for you?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I do a lot of DIY work on cars but send the bigger jobs/MOTs to a small garage on the same estate I work. Built a pretty good relationship up with them over the years. This garage also fit tyres for Blackcircles.

Anyway about 6 months ago I ordered a set of Hankooks on Blackcircles to be fitted at this garage. When I went to pick the car up the owner said I should have come straight to him as he would have beaten the Blackcircles price by a couple of quid each for Kumho tyres. "But that price is for Hankook tyres" I said. "Ahh, in that case I can't beat BC price" he said. Fair enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure