PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    MarieMac wrote: »
    Excellent work Kittie! I bet it feels like such a relief to be finished with the outbuilding and have the weight of all that 'stuff' off your shoulders!

That outbuilding was an area that I so dreaded sorting, after my husband died, I kept putting it off. It had to start with me sawing and using my carving tools to take the very secure bike holder off the wall. It has undergone various transformations and I have changed my mind a few times about what to put where but I am now at the point of it being mine and I don`t think twice about what needs to be done.

E mail from dd this morning, asking for my bird feeders, very glad about that and will be unpacking them shortly. I just need to get whatever I can into cs shopping trolley later and I think that is pretty well it. I have too many lock n lock boxes, some lucky people will be able to snap them up at cs. I loved my bird feeders, watching the birds saw me through the first 2 years after that day in february 2015. I used to gaze out the window, watching the birds, while cosy in my recliner. It got me through the dark days. No doubt I will do feeders again but probably a different system, it depends where etc

I cannot believe what my son suggested re a log cabin as a workshop, it has taken a huge weight off my shoulders. His is glorious and I have seen the insulation in it, his is preserved in cream and sage with a window and electrics. Oooh I see the potential for me. My very own wendy house with a purpose.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Kittie one of those cabins could be your girl-shed :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Those log cabins are excellent, I know someone who has one in the back garden of a tiny cottage and it has made an extra outdoor space and added muchly to quality of life. So much so that a threatened move has now been put on hold. You can get it wired for third phase electricity, like Mum's workshop, and it will give you hours of pleasure.

I'm running a bit behind myself today, due to sleeping in until nearly 9 am, woken by a text from a pal who is wanting to know if I will be up at the allotments today? I shall, and within the hour, I let him know.

My allotment shed badly-needs bottoming out but work on the gardening side of allotmenteering has to take priority although, if a heavy shower comes over when I'm already up there, I scoot into the shed and do little bits from the inside. We are now in Big Spider Month, so I am a bit wary about poking around in corners as me and the archanids can give each other mutual frights.:rotfl:

Picture this; GQ and Pal at the juntique shop yesterday:

GQ; Do you have a microfiche reader? (having not seen such a device).
    Pal; No, never.
    GQ: It's just that you've got an instruction booklet for one here.
    Pal; Recycle it.

:o He never had a microfiche reader but somehow the filing included a booklet for one?! Madness. I also found a dagger and a nineteenth century French sword nicknamed a 'cabbage-cutter' at the time, under the desk. We sold the latter pair toute de suite to a collector for £95 - I joked that we should charge extra for the thick layer of dust.....
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Oh, I would love one of those log cabins/shed things! My garden (I laughably call it a garden!) is far too small and my neighbours are far too loud and annoying even if I did have the space!

I sorted out the inside of my kitchen cabinets the other day as I bought some extra tins for my winter food store. I found some tupperware boxes right at the back. I used one large one as a storage box in my chest of drawers and am thinking about binning the rest. I never even use them as I usually keep leftovers in a bowl in the fridge.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just letting lunch go down for half an hour and am planning to take some lock n locks to one side for cs. What gives me joy is knowing that someone will use them. I have been pondering lovely trumpet shaped saltware stone pots, too nice to give away but I have too many pots and a brainwave came to me. I have 3 dwarf lilacs in the front in slightly smaller and definitely cheaper stone pots, same basic shape, its obvious now,. Slide them out and put them into the good pots with some extra compost. I will have to get rid of semperviviums but they were only looking after the good pots anyway. More up and down outdoor steps, dumping a decent soil/sand/gravel mix. Three down today = less in the future, this prepping, a bit a time. Makes me appreciate doing it now, no way on earth could I do it in ten years
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kittie - the thought of how DH & I will be in 10 years time is what spurs me on. I don't want our kids to have a marathon task when we pop our clogs and I want my house and garden to be able to be maintained by us for as long as possible. Only problem is its probably going to take me 10 years to get it all done!! (not really ;))
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MarieMac wrote: »

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that as much I like the one I have, I'm going to need to find something bigger if I want to have a tidy bedroom. As my closet is not designed in a way that makes it particularly accessible, nearly everything gets folded. As least the good news is that I can get rid of some of the cheaper kids furniture in the spare room and put the one from my room in there, as it would be a good size for family when they come to stay for a week or two. That way I get to keep the sentimental piece while finding one that works better for my everyday life. Which seems to fit in with the Kondo philosophy!
    kittie wrote: »

I have too many pots and a brainwave came to me. I have 3 dwarf lilacs in the front in slightly smaller and definitely cheaper stone pots, same basic shape, its obvious now,. Slide them out and put them into the good pots with some extra compost. I will have to get rid of semperviviums but they were only looking after the good pots anyway.

And there we have it - the life changing magic!!:T

well done, both....
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 2:14PM
    Options
    silvasava, hubbie and I started when we moved from the large family home, we got rid of a huge lot of bulk then and emptied the loft. We moved to a town house where we stayed for 6 years, not really happy there, Came here in 2010 and started removing things in 2013, I remember DH saying to me `thank it and let it go` but that was all superficial stuff. When he died in 2015, reality hit me, all that justin stuff in the garage and in several other places. Didn`t take me long to re-home the large heavy hammer drill and so on, I reached a stage of more difficult stuff. Do I ? don`t I? and I can honestly say I have not missed anything. If I am not sure then it is put to one side for a while. It is all my own stuff these days so I don`t feel any guilt. However I am glad we started when we did, in 2009. Its a very long process, has to be for sanity sake

I have 5 large empty pots to one side in the garden, waiting to be re-homed :D

ds has been brilliant, he is a long way away, in Glasgow but he is always so good at thinking things through. He is a project manager and told me about `moscow` last night. Must have, should have, could have
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's another cupboard kondoed - living room alcove cupboard #1 - to make space for the wine rack that's been gathering dust sitting on top of the fridge! I no longer have a dusty wine rack eyesore everytime I walk into the kitchen!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For all those kondoing away to make their and their children's lives easier in the future, I really applaud you. I love my mum to bits but helping her move last month was hard, (probably about 5years too late for her to be really energetic and help) she had done very small amounts of kondoing, but even now, I feel a bit resentful that in the 5months that she knew she was moving, very little really went, and I ended up with 3 storage units full, one of which is meant to hold the contents of a 4 bed house. She is moving to a one bed bungalow.... Until that is built for her I am encouraging as much sorting as possible, bringing her boxes from storage and doing any shredding and recycling I can to help.

One of the things we have in store is a 12 wine bottle size box full of brand light bulbs in case one of the supermarkets ever runs out!
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport