PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2017 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Duh! Just done it again - anticipated buying myself a nice lunch out and it was yuk and not enough! I can figure out why food out is often so disappointing (little competition) - but havent figured out yet why it's often not even enough to eat.

Cue - came back home and got the toaster out and had some toast.

Here we go again - and got more experimenting coming up. Still on the basics today - so trying out making coconut milk from packet of coconut powder. Will try out making coconut yogurt from that. Will try out scrambled tofu for first time for dinner tonight.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Timing a bit messed up with the clocks, but it did allow time for a breakfast of real loose tea in pot, with toast and rhubarb / ginger jam

Went mad in Morries and spent over a tenner, buying bits I had run out of or in case of cheapo instant mash, buying it before it vanishes as it has from Asda & even lild, found this happens with some items, never see them again, probably as PN says, to reappear ponced up at over twice the price

Also bought more loose tea, seems bog standard loose tea is another vanishing product, loads of infusions, chai, green, purple, pink also for all I know, one thousand type of coffee, cereals, pasta and rice though :(

As it was early when I returned, and sun was out, in fact very pleasant, I took the opportunity to dig up the begonia corms before the weather really turns, oiked out the blooming' vine weevil grubs. Got most of them, left them out with the pots uncovered for the robins & thrushes to scoff any I missed

Lunch was back to bacon, lettuce & tom sarnie

Dinner, it was going to be a nice salad, but weather has now gone dull and windy so plans could change, like the weather

Like Karcher, "craving something healthy and for want of a better word: 'clean' food." Hence the planned salad for tonight, not sure what type, could be grated cheese or maybe open a fishy tin? At least put it on a plate and not between two slices of bread:o
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

At least put it on a plate and not between two slices of bread:o
    I should really do something 'proper' to eat rather than just toast/crumpets/biscuits/tins of rice pudding/cake. Although I did move on to a tin of custard for lunch today.

I suppose I could open one of the tins of tuna and have that with some salad bits. The lettuce and cucumber don't look like they will last much longer.

I was reading on another forum that a few people were having trouble getting hold of tins of instant mash.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Afternoon Folks,

Thankfully my cold has started to dry up, don't seem to need so many tissues today. But just to be on the safe side I'm sticking with the old wives tales and overloading on garlic, honey and lemon ;) Breakfast was a comforting bowl of porridge, drizzle of honey, cinnamon & raisin stewed apples.

Yesterday I began to run out of steam about 3.00pm and lost all interest in cooking, so today I thought I would have my main meal at midday when I felt like cooking and I could enjoy it. I made Turkey Kofta and oh wow even though I say it myself they were great (so glad I wrote down the spice mix I used so that I can repeat it, although I was a bit heavy on the oregano just because it was the last in the jar), had the kebabs with preserved lemon pilaf and tzatziki, good job I live alone no sign of any vampires here either :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'll have soup and toast or maybe scrambled eggs later.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I ended up eating, clearing away and washing up by 1.30.

Ended up with a giant Yorkie filled with beef, mash, mashed carrot, peas, gravy.

I think I've got gravy overload from making it with the beef in the SC. Having done it though, that'll be enough for at least a year!

I've also, since, had two hot sausage rolls.... because they were there and calling my name.

I fancy something sweet, but I've nothing unless I open another can of creamed rice... which is possible....
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pastures

How about making pancakes with lemon and sugar or jam on top?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Two verdicts on later experimenting today.

1. Coconut milk powder to make up into coconut milk - whoops...thats a fail then. Shoulda read the ingredients on the packet before buying it. Got fooled by buying it in a health food shop - quite a long list of ingredients - including an "-ose". Glucose in this case. It's headed for the bin:(. Not usually a problem having to read ingredient lists in a health food shop (unless its H*lland & B*rrett - in which case = get reading:cool:).

2. Tofu scramble. First time I've done that - though been meaning to for ages. Did a version with onion/tomato/mushroom/spinach/nutritional yeast. Note to self to add bigger pinch of tumeric for colour - but will do that again. At least something worked out food-wise today.

Still huge long list of experiments yet to try - tortillas, sweet potato "toast", crackers, "cheeze" sauce are about top of the list at the moment......basically if it's fashionable and vegan and I ain't tried it yet...it's coming up for a saucepan (or something) near me soon....LOL.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    Pastures

How about making pancakes with lemon and sugar or jam on top?
    I don't fry. I could make an oven pancake, but it's after dark and I don't like to use the toaster oven after dark. I could make nuker pancakes, but I really don't fancy them :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I had tinned salmon salad in the end. The planned baked spud turned into sauteed ones some where between scrubbing it and the Actifry :o

All very enjoyable, except for the CFO curse of the opened tin. In this case pink salmon

I can see a salmon sarnies stretching far into the horizon next week, and if I chose to make fish cakes then it would be a LO mash mountain instead

But I like tinned salmon so it is not a huge problem eating it for the next few days

Actually with the recent menu item regarding condensed soup, triggered a memory from side of soup tin, I could give it a go, except no condensed tom soup

Basically cook pasta of your choice, drain, tip a tin of condensed tomato soup and drained tinned salmon into same pasta pan, use as much or as little salmon as you fancy

Give it a stir whilst gently heating the mixture through.

Heat & eat. Go posh and add croutons and watercress garnish

Nukes up fine the following day
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As usual ... spent all day yesterday in anticipation of great beef - and today I don't fancy it.
    I used to really struggle to eat Christmas dinner after I cooked it, took me a few years to work out it was because I'd been looking at it/smelling it for most of the day. Now I cook as much as I can beforehand and enjoy it much more.
    Glad wrote: »
    I have an adopted son and a son-in-law both chefs, they often make fancy meals for us, and then when it's cooked don't fancy it themselves :)
    My elder son used to be a chef and on days he was working he lived on simple food as he couldn't face anything rich.
    Two verdicts on later experimenting today.

1. Coconut milk powder to make up into coconut milk - whoops...thats a fail then. Shoulda read the ingredients on the packet before buying it. Got fooled by buying it in a health food shop - quite a long list of ingredients - including an "-ose". Glucose in this case. It's headed for the bin:(. Not usually a problem having to read ingredient lists in a health food shop (unless its H*lland & B*rrett - in which case = get reading:cool:).
    Would coconut cream blocks be a better option for you? Most just seem to contain coconut only.

My plans to quite a bit in the garden went awry and I only managed about 10-15 minutes. First my back started seriously twinging, then my balance went and then I managed to re-open the thumb I cut on Friday :mad:. At this point I abandoned ship and headed off for a lie down:cool:.

On a plus the topside is cooked and in a bowl with a weight cooling. It was a very lean piece so I want to slice it quite thinly if I can as I plan to use most of it in sandwiches. While I love brisket thickly cut, I prefer topside thinly sliced or else I think it can be a bit dry and chewy. I cooked it for the minimum I thought I could get away with in the SC as I find it drys out if left too long and certainly the sliver I tested was tender enough so fingers crossed.;)

It's blinkin' perishing here tonight and due to drop to 3C in the early hours, it certainly feels at the moment as though we are heading for a "proper" frost. I'm please I'm planning a "food in a bowl" dinner:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure