Making chicken feed of my mortgage

Comments

• And finally, Waitrose have sent us some more £8 off a £40 spend + £5 off a £25 spend on wine coupons :T

Ooof, that's generous :D I just had a £4 off £30 spend with mrT. Mind, I struggled to spend it cost-effectively, as there is now very little in mrT that is cheaper (or same price) as things that I buy elsewhere, principally the discounters and '0me bargins. We had to go to our 'second one along' mrTin order to be able to get the offers on tinned E/E pulses/tomatoes, to make the voucher worthwhile for us, as it was.

Long weekend sounds spiffing. Isn't it nice to 'be' somewhere that's been on TV or in the movies :D And did it seem like it is in the film - or smaller? I usually find places a lot smaller than they look on TV :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Ooof, that's generous :D I just had a £4 off £30 spend with mrT. Mind, I struggled to spend it cost-effectively, as there is now very little in mrT that is cheaper (or same price) as things that I buy elsewhere, principally the discounters and '0me bargins. We had to go to our 'second one along' mrTin order to be able to get the offers on tinned E/E pulses/tomatoes, to make the voucher worthwhile for us, as it was.

Last month was easy as lots of things I normally buy were on offer; this month will be tougher so I might stock up on some goodies for Christmas :)
    Long weekend sounds spiffing. Isn't it nice to 'be' somewhere that's been on TV or in the movies :D And did it seem like it is in the film - or smaller? I usually find places a lot smaller than they look on TV :D

I haven't seen the film :o Mr MWC says it was much easier to run up the steps than Sly made it look :rotfl:

I'm up to 60,000 points on CP :T but I can't decide what vouchers to get... :huh:

Today's dinner was roast cauliflower, almonds & barley with parsley & chilli from HFW's new book - it was a delicious, a definite keeper :T
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • Mr MWC is spoiling me :D

Squash & cauliflower soup with sage for lunch and bavette steak with roast new potatoes & chimichurri for dinner :drool:

After a little [STRIKE]nagging[/STRIKE] encouragement he decluttered his office this afternoon. Luckily I got him to check a couple of old external hard drives before he wiped and binned them... family photos and videos from 10+ years ago :)
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    A lucky rescue there! Well done.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • A lucky rescue there! Well done.

Some VERY unflattering photos of us :eek: but some lovely photos of our no-longer-with-us mums and videos of the younger members of the family (looking forward to embarrassing them now that they're teenagers :rotfl:)
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HFW book sounds good. I don't eat meat anymore and might look to this book for some inspiration.

I'm also trying to balance mortgage freedom with regular holidays. No point being MF by 45 with nothing in the memory bank and childhoods missed.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • CathT wrote: »
    HFW book sounds good. I don't eat meat anymore and might look to this book for some inspiration.

It gets the big thumbs up from The MWCs :)
    CathT wrote: »
    I'm also trying to balance mortgage freedom with regular holidays. No point being MF by 45 with nothing in the memory bank and childhoods missed.

Unfortunately, 45 has been and gone for me...! We're already starting to plan next year's holidays :cool:

Current thinking is:

January - a winter break on the quiet side of the mountain ("...gentle strolls, rides in chair lifts to panoramic viewpoints, boat trips across serene lakes, and horse-drawn sleigh rides through the forest…") - most probably Bavaria

March/April - a long weekend somewhere warm with MSE chums

June - 2 weeks in Croatia (fly/drive, island-hopping, city break & walking holiday in one!)

October - 12 days in Canada for my Aunt's 80th birthday

I take after my mum :heart2: - she loved planning holidays too :cool:
  • That sounds like a fabulous year of holidays to me.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • WR Blueprint Shiraz also gets the big thumbs up from us :p

Lunch was pineapple & cashew rice salad with hula pork & roast peppers using the uncooked shoulder of pork left over from the family party in August :drool:
    Lots of LO pork :T
    (we think there is a typo in the recipe and use at least 3 red peppers)

Dinner was pork scratchings :o

We won't be going on 4 holidays next year unless I stop spending money willy nilly... popped out earlier to buy milk (£1) and actually spent £29 :naughty:
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Yikes. That must have been in a gold-plated bottle...
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback