PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Still receiving post for previous house owners

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    From day 1, it should all be binned. Then you set no precedent.

This seems unnecessarily harsh. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to write 'return to sender' on an envelope, and you can just pop it in the post box when you next go past. Might help to reduce the amount of post you get for them, as well.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This seems unnecessarily harsh. It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to write 'return to sender' on an envelope, and you can just pop it in the post box when you next go past. Might help to reduce the amount of post you get for them, as well.

Setting up redirection also takes 5 minutes.....
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    "Return to sender, no longer at this address since XXXXX"

Post back in post box.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    just bin it we still get post for the last residents and we have been living here for 25 years.
    Every 3 years we get a new bank card for the lady and every year a paper summary of the ins and outs of her account, and yes I have been so nosey) which she clearly still uses.
    I have contacted Lloyds on several occasions and still they come.
    My point is there is little you can do and it will continue for some time, just bin it, it will diminish over time
  • Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Setting up redirection also takes 5 minutes.....
    Redirection can be tricky if someone has names that are slightly mispelt or different titles, sometimes.
  • mpet
    mpet Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I usually write across the previous owners post 'return to sender gone away'. This doesn't always work with some senders, so any repeat post I write 'return to sender - deceased'. This usually works.

I don't do this from day one, as I know it's easy to sometimes forget to notify the odd person, but after a year, anything goes!
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Return to sender translates as "sorting office please bin"
  • If you bin it, then the sender may presume the address is correct. Our vendors left a note saying they would pop back in a few weeks for post - but after accruing a mound of stuff over the next month, including HMRC letters and medical letters for their son they never turned up. When I realised that they hadn't even bothered to take themselves off the electoral register I made up a few sheets of labels with Return to Sender, Month and Year they moved out, No forwarding address left on them and dumped the whole lot back in the post. I also emailed their Estate Agent to ask if they could pass a message on - never got a response, but we are down to a few letters a month rather than dozens a week.

People should redirect their own post or pay for the post office to do it, but at least if it is sent back the people trying to get in touch with them might make their own efforts to do so :)
  • rosyw
    rosyw Posts: 519 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    As most have said, in it or return to sender is the best option - whichever is easier ;)

I still get post for the guy I bought from - 7 years on! It was no problem at first, his (now Ex) father in law was helping me finish the odd bit of work to the place.It soon became obvious that he was being chased for quite a lot of money from various places, in the end I started opening it, I wanted to see who may possibly be knocking on my door trying to find him ;) having totalled up a months worth of demands I could see how heavily in debt he was :eek: I did try marking it all as "no longer at this address" and popping it the post box as I passed, all that did was change the DCAs that were chasing!
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I agree than binning everything from day one is a bit unreasonable - things do slip through redirection and companies can take a little while So to start with I think marking it "R.T.S - not at this address" and sticking it back in the post box.

It doesn't stop everything but it does reduce over time.

However, I think as it has been more than 12 months it is not unreasonable to start binning it instead.

I moved 3 1/3 years ago and still get post for the previous occupants. I still mark some things RTS, others go straight in recycling. (mostly, if I know I've previously sent stuff back, I now just throw it away, since returning it obviously hasn't made a difference. If I am not sure, or if it is from HMRC, I return it.

If it looks like a final demand or an insurance renewal I open it and call the sender to let them know they have the wrong address. I don't have a forwarding address but if they ask, I tell them the name of the agents who did the sale and suggest that they try them, as they presumably know where their client went.

The sellers were not particularly helpful when I bought so I don't feel any obligation to them. When I moved, I did include in the information i left for my buyers a note confirming that I had arranged for my post to be forwarded but that if anything slipped through I'd be grateful if they could send it on. I think there were 2 things in the first year that they sent on.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure