MSE News: Octopus Energy to take on Iresa's 90,000 customers - here's what you need to know

Comments

• vicki84
    vicki84 Posts: 210
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi

Does anyone know what happens if you are on a economy 7 tariff?

Thanks
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,499
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just noticed that Octopus have asked for existing Iresa DDs not to be cancelled; both MSE and OFGEM said cancel if you want!!

Anyone who leaves it in place is risking Iresa's administrators taking a payment that they are not entitled to!
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    brewerdave wrote: »
    If you used the links on the email to reply, I think that it is anonymous -Octopus are just trying to get a handle on how many new customers they are going to have after the dust settles.

I suspect that it will only be a few hundred given the prices are so much worse than the Iresa prices!!:(

I agree with you on that one the customers who went to Iresa weren't with them for good customer service just for the cheap process. I never contacted Iresa or had any issues and have rarely ever had need to contact energy suppliers and deal with their customer services.

I also the Iresa bashing part of the email was very unprofessional, yes Iresa had issues, they have now gone under move on. These comments don't benefit anyone and quite frankly aren't required.

The energy supply is the same no matter who you pay for it, so why pay more than you need. Plus all the comments about we are cheaper than the big 6, well there are plenty of big 6 tariffs much cheaper than Octopus so clearly not very factual.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,499
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    SuiDreams wrote: »
    The energy supply is the same no matter who you pay for it, so why pay more than you need. Plus all the comments about we are cheaper than the big 6, well there are plenty of big 6 tariffs much cheaper than Octopus so clearly not very factual.

I certainly found 2 Big 6 fixed tariffs for my region which were ~ £60pa cheaper than Octoplus!!
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,675
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I just tried Uswitch.

It would not let me select IRESA as my current provider, so I selected Octopus and entered my last years usage in actual KWh

It tells me Octopus will cost me £291 more than I paid to IRESA in the last year.
    It only offered 2 cheaper deals, Bulb would save me £67 per year and SSE 1 year fixed would save me £55 per year.

Frankly if that's the only saving I can get then I will stick with Octopus for now as it is not worth the inevetable hassle for such a small saving. Until something with a more worthwhile saving turns up. (a lot of the small cheap suppliers don't appear on the switch sites, IRESA never did so some more looking later on when the dust has settled)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 2 August 2018 at 11:01AM
    brewerdave wrote: »
    I certainly found 2 Big 6 fixed tariffs for my region which were ~ £60pa cheaper than Octoplus!!
    I found 2 big six fixed cheaper than Octopus variable and 3 cheaper than their fixed. So 50% of the big six offer a cheaper fixed tariff than Octopus so hardly compatible with their claim, obviously taken a tip from the MSECEC school of quotes.
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,044
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can anyone explain this bit to me?
    "You will be moved onto Octopus's cheapest tariff which is hundreds of pounds cheaper than the Big 6."

Have the big 6 changed lately as I seem to be unable to determine how I save hundreds?

Big6.png
  • tomthered
    tomthered Posts: 258
    Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Whenever claims like this from Octopus are made they invariably compare to the Big 6's standard tariff, which we all know are dearer than theirs
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ProDave wrote: »
    I just tried Uswitch.

It would not let me select IRESA as my current provider, so I selected Octopus and entered my last years usage in actual KWh

It tells me Octopus will cost me £291 more than I paid to IRESA in the last year.
    It only offered 2 cheaper deals, Bulb would save me £67 per year and SSE 1 year fixed would save me £55 per year.

Frankly if that's the only saving I can get then I will stick with Octopus for now as it is not worth the inevetable hassle for such a small saving. Until something with a more worthwhile saving turns up. (a lot of the small cheap suppliers don't appear on the switch sites, IRESA never did so some more looking later on when the dust has settled)

Check you haven't got the results on show all. I get around 45 tariffs that are cheaper. I would quite happily switch for a £67 saving a year, its better in my pocket that theirs.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,675
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    SuiDreams wrote: »
    Check you haven't got the results on show all. I get around 45 tariffs that are cheaper. I would quite happily switch for a £67 saving a year, its better in my pocket that theirs.
    Sneaky.

Tick the "nclude plans that require switching directly through the supplier" and I now get 16 cheaper offerings, the cheapest being Outfox the Market at £154 cheaper per year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure