PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Fuddle - will you tell me how you do this?
    "we'll also be lining the toilet cistern internally to stop the cold water/warm atmosphere producing condensation on the cistern"
    because this happens here, the cistern is continually dropping onto the floor.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Mar DH is going to empty the cistern of water, dry it out, then line, glue and seal a yoga mat around the inside casing. We saw it on youtube, loadsa vids mar. HTH :)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Oh hell, the RV won't do that.. I'll look into things that can be done from outside. Thanks fudds.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Fuddle, I use ovals in my stove, and found that if it was banked up well overnight, I could add paper rubbish, kindling, and a firelighter in the morning, it ignited well on its own, then I added a bit more wood and more coals - 5 minute job. DH didn't believe it would be as efficient as it is - our 2 downstairs rooms are now only divided by folding doors, but the stove alone keeps the entire space comfortable without radiators. The chimney breast and the stove radiate heat even when the fire's almost out.

I sent my meter readings online the other day, and we're now only £30-odd in debit between both fuels (spent a bit early spring!), so definitely going back to more slow cooker meals, using the stove more, etc., when it starts to cool down, to save on energy costs.

Our school dinners are now £2.12 a day, so over £21 for a week for both! :eek: Ours will be on pack ups in September, can't afford that! I've gone back to physical pots of savings, too, always done it towards Christmas, etc., but now I find I'm doing it most of the year, and it's been invaluable so many times.

I'm going to grow some herbs in pots to use over autumn/winter, and some micro-greens, to help add some variety to what may well be some very plain meals if money gets any tighter!

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2018 at 6:34PM
    Mar we spent all last winter with a towel wrapped round the cistern. It looked an eye saw but was 95% better than without it. Get your knitting needles out and make a cistern cosy, doll body optional :D :rotfl:

Thanks cheaps, i'll definitely have a play.
  • Alfalfa seed sprouts really well in a jam jar on window sill. Just cover the top with a piece of cloth secured with a rubber band, I use a piece of the look alike J cloths as it's easy to tip out the rinsing water, rinse the seeds twice a day, just put the material on the jar against tap and turn on gently, swish the seeds and empty out the water. In 4 to 5 days you have some really nice sprouted seeds just showing green tips of leaves, crunch, full of vitamins and very easy to do regularly. The girls called it 'tickly salad' when they were little as it's curly! old fashioned mustard and cress grown on a piece of kitchen paper in a shallow container on the window sill also works a treat and the seeds are 50p a packet in Wilkos, you buy a packet of mustard seed and a packet of cress seed and mix them together in a jar. I tablespoon of alfalfa seed will give a jar of sprouts and a sprinkling of mustard and cress seed over the kitchen paper will give you a container of cress. Good way of cheap vitamins in the winter months.
  • Cheapskate
    Ooh, I'd forgotten all about alfalfa seeds, Lyn, thank you for the reminder! :D. Where to buy nowadays, though?
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Health food shops/whole food shops/ online and a 125gram bag will last absolutely ages. You might even find them in a packet on a seed stand in the local garden centre and if they don't have them it's worth asking if they can get some for you, ask and if they say no you're no worse off are you?
  • Cheapskate
    Fab, thanks! :D That's going on my to-do list for next week x

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • I've just looked and amazon do sprouting seeds and you can get them on e.Bay too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback