DLA to PIP Mandatory Reconsideration

Options
I have recently gone through the process of moving from DLA to PIP

I have had High Rate Mobility and Low Rate Care DLA since 2005

On PIP they have given me High Rate Care and Low Rate Mobility.

The reasons for the mandatory reconsideration aren't really important to my question.

I found the pdf online for mandatory reconsideration, completed it and printed it out, signed it and posted it First Class Recorded Delivery on 17th July. It was signed for by the DWP on 20th July, so two weeks ago.

I have not had a text of acknowledgement nor a letter of acknowledgement.

Since they have texted me all the way through from reminders to post the PIP form, to a text telling me they received it, a text with the date of the PIP assessment, a text with the reminder of the appointment, another text that they had received the report to another text telling me they had made a decision and it was in the post.

I was, therefore, expecting another text of acknowledgement. Nothing happened.

Should I be concerned? Should I be phoning them on Monday?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's standard to receive text message updates when claiming PIP, if a mobile number is used. However, i've never heard of text messages being sent when asking for a MR. There's no decision times for MR's. If you're concerned then ring on Monday to ask if it's been received.
  • Fantabulous
    Options
    Thanks for that.

At some point someone is supposed to phone me for a chat re the MR apparently

Will phone on Monday to check what is going on. I know they signed for it so they should have it but you never know
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is no exact time limit for the DWP to deal with MRs. Up to three weeks is not uncommon. As it is the holiday season they may be understaffed.
    You are aware I am sure that most decisions are not changed at the MR stage, and also that it is possible that you could lose what you have already got? Not trying to be pessimistic, just managing your expectations.
  • poppy12345
    edited 5 August 2018 at 11:13PM
    Options
    Thanks for that.

Will phone on Monday to check what is going on. I know they signed for it so they should have it but you never know
    Not exactly true. Just because it's been signed for doesn't mean it's arrived at the correct department. All mail going to and from DWP has to go through a mail sorting process at royal mail. This means that it was more than likely signed for by someone from Royal Mail and not from DWP.

It was only signed for on 20th July but it could have taken another week after that to reach the correct department and be put onto the computer. DWP don't work weekends, so you can count those. Realistically this means it's not even been 3 weeks and that's not counting the time it takes to arrive at the correct department. I know it's stressful but there's nothing you can do until a decision's been made. If you put the request in writing i don't believe they ring you unless they have a question to ask.
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Inever got a call for my MR. Just a letter a few weeks later telling me their decision stood and why.
    Thanks for that.

Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • Fantabulous
    Fantabulous Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    There is no exact time limit for the DWP to deal with MRs. Up to three weeks is not uncommon. As it is the holiday season they may be understaffed.
    You are aware I am sure that most decisions are not changed at the MR stage, and also that it is possible that you could lose what you have already got? Not trying to be pessimistic, just managing your expectations.

An update. I did phone them re the PIP Mandatory Reconsideration

NO I will NOT lose what I have been given - the Enhanced Rate Care. You can CHOOSE to only have one item looked at which, for me, is the Mobility. I was told that today, it is logged onto the system. Also that, since she clicked the button to have it looked at, I should hear from them within four weeks.

They do not make it clear on the form that you can have ONE item looked at. I did write on my MR form for MR on Mobility only. She asked me today if I wanted the WHOLE of it looked at or only one part. I said Mobility and she said that would be done.

Yes, I know that is different to every website on the net but that is what they ACTUALLY do, if you know about it.

If they turn me down on the MR for Mobility I WILL go to Appeal, no doubt about it. I will get it to someone to look at it whom has medical qualifications (which I also have) who has the ability to judge medical conditions properly.

My Rheumatologist is furious that I was only given the lower rate of Mobility. He says that they should know simply by looking at the list of medications the severity of my condition, plus the medical evidence that both he and my GP provided.

The DWP are wasting time and money in trying to trip people up whom have genuine medical conditions that cause problems with mobility
  • poppy12345
    Options
    An update. I did phone them re the PIP Mandatory Reconsideration

NO I will NOT lose what I have been given - the Enhanced Rate Care. You can CHOOSE to only have one item looked at which, for me, is the Mobility. I was told that today, it is logged onto the system.
    I'm not sure who told you this but with the MR they look at the whole award again and not just part of it. Although most MR decisions remain the same, of course.
  • Fantabulous
    Fantabulous Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    She clicked the button for mobility only, that is all I can tell you.

We shall see what happens.

In my case the assessor made a mistake, something I told her about, that she was supposed to note but did not - according to the written report that I have been sent. That is why I am 99% certain that they will change it
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    I'm not sure who told you this but with the MR they look at the whole award again and not just part of it. Although most MR decisions remain the same, of course.

Yes - I asked for an MR of one component and they looked at both.

OP - consultants are experts in health conditions, not in benefits. It doesn't matter how severe your condition is, you have to fit the criteria set down by benefits. It's why the decision maker can choose what, if any, medical evidence to use.

For mobility, the PIP criteria is much stricter than DLA was. For DLA high rate the distance was 50m, whereas for PIP it's 20m.

Please don't get your hopes up about the MR. Only 20% of awards are changed at this stage. There's a poster on here who is a full time wheelchair user, is unable to walk at all, and the face to face assessor put in the report that she walked up a flight of stairs. Even with such a blatant 'mistake', the decision wasn't changed at MR and she had to go to tribunal. I'm not trying to scare you here, just explain that statistics are against you. It's better to prepare yourself for an appeal and be pleasantly surprised at the MR decision, than to assume you'll get an award at MR and have the disappointment of going to appeal.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    She clicked the button for mobility only, that is all I can tell you.

We shall see what happens.

In my case the assessor made a mistake, something I told her about, that she was supposed to note but did not - according to the written report that I have been sent. That is why I am 99% certain that they will change it
    They often tell you what you want to hear, regardless of whether it's the truth or not.

I agree with Ames, don't get your hopes up at this stage. The DWP won't be interested in any lies or parts that weren't noted in the report.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure