Providing Sanitary Items

Options
Hi,

I understand that by law UK business do not have to supply sanitary products but do have to provide bins. However in my place of work there are 2 floors and a ladies toilet on each floor, the ground floor toilet have a tampon/sanitary towel dispenser but the floor that I work on does not, only a sanitary bin. I suffer from very heavy menstrual bleeding and unfortunately nearly got caught short today work (I always have my own items in my handbag, but just got caught short today). I asked our senior office administrator to purchase some sanitary items for the bathroom who passed this onto our H.R lady, our H.R lady said no and that the dispenser in the ground floor toilet was sufficient.

We have many meetings in the building and the 1st floor bathroom is used regularly so the request is not only for me but for other women that work or arrive at our office. Our business supplies endless amounts of free beverages in various degrees of colour, smell and flavour (currently 14 different varieties of tea and 5 varieties of coffee), so why not a couple of sanitary towels or tampons? We also have a health and wellbeing group at our place of work which I am part of and the HR person is head of, but as of today I feel that this is a bit of an oxymoron!!

If any ladies,(or gents) have any thoughts on this I would be grateful.

Regards

Bitofsteak

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Bit of tissue in the knickers and a quick nip to the downstairs loo - sorted.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not just buy and bring your own?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    You've answered your own question. They don't have to. Our thoughts on it are therefore irrelevant.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As you seem to be the forgetful one could you not buy a supply and leave them in the toilet? I have never been provided with sanitary protection by an employer and to be honest, I visit lots of employers and sometimes use their facilities but only one has there been a wee basket with some supplies in it.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    I visit lots of employers and sometimes use their facilities but only one has there been a wee basket

Wouldn't a basket leak if you wee in it?
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Bitofsteak wrote: »
    Hi,

I understand that by law UK business do not have to supply sanitary products but do have to provide bins. However in my place of work there are 2 floors and a ladies toilet on each floor, the ground floor toilet have a tampon/sanitary towel dispenser but the floor that I work on does not, only a sanitary bin. I suffer from very heavy menstrual bleeding and unfortunately nearly got caught short today work (I always have my own items in my handbag, but just got caught short today). I asked our senior office administrator to purchase some sanitary items for the bathroom who passed this onto our H.R lady, our H.R lady said no and that the dispenser in the ground floor toilet was sufficient.

We have many meetings in the building and the 1st floor bathroom is used regularly so the request is not only for me but for other women that work or arrive at our office. Our business supplies endless amounts of free beverages in various degrees of colour, smell and flavour (currently 14 different varieties of tea and 5 varieties of coffee), so why not a couple of sanitary towels or tampons? We also have a health and wellbeing group at our place of work which I am part of and the HR person is head of, but as of today I feel that this is a bit of an oxymoron!!

If any ladies,(or gents) have any thoughts on this I would be grateful.

Regards

Bitofsteak

I've never actually heard of an employer supplying sanitary items. As far as I am concerned, it is up to those who need them to provide them. I carry four individually wrapped towels in my bag at all times - that way, I'm never caught short.

Even on Brownie or Guide pack holidays, we ask parents to make sure that their daughters have supplies with them, in case they are needed. The leaders do have a supply for the girls, just in case, However, I would expect girls to have their own as requested.

As a grown woman, you are responsible for managing your bodily functions. If you know that there is a possibility of being caught short, then you should carry supplies. They don't take up much space in your bag, or possibly in your desk drawer. Why should your employer be responsible?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, you can raise it again at the wellbeing group, but honestly, I agree with the responses above. I don't know if there are costs associated with the dispenser, or if that's covered by purchases, but providing a basket (wee or otherwise) is definitely going to have a cost, and somebody's going to have to be responsible for keeping it supplied, and it's no help if you get there and find it has not been re-stocked!

Plus we all have our own preferences: I always preferred to carry my own!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Options
    I've never ever heard of this, or seen it.

Keep a packet in your drawer.

I have endometriosis and so definately understand yet I wouldn't ever expect my work to supply such items. I like a particular brand and version. Therefore I always have a box in my drawer.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Well, you can raise it again at the wellbeing group, but honestly, I agree with the responses above. I don't know if there are costs associated with the dispenser, or if that's covered by purchases, but providing a basket (wee or otherwise) is definitely going to have a cost, and somebody's going to have to be responsible for keeping it supplied, and it's no help if you get there and find it has not been re-stocked!

Plus we all have our own preferences: I always preferred to carry my own!

...... and there's bound to be at least one person who would see it as an easy / free way of providing them with all their sanitary supplies and pilfer them on a regular basis.
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Supplies in handbag and in desk drawers.

Wonder if a company did provide such items, it would be classed as a benefit in kind?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure