Prep and paint water damaged brick with masonry paint - advice please

Options
Hi.
I have a victorian terrace which had previously been painted with masonry paint. The paint has bubbled and peeled in places I assume from water ingress into the brick.

263467531df7606af8fd9019e82bd88f569ce911.jpg

26346754c301f95e9a730edca8ae873c798ed76e.jpg

Ive been investigating and have found:
1- slate damp course was two bricks under ground level. Mortar is mostly missing and very soft/sandy for these two courses.

26346752ef9888125ae21cb63950f5f2dcc9341c.jpg

2- built with lime mortar (front of house lime rendered, internals walls lime rendered, assume wall mortar is) but pretty sure its been repointed with cement as its rock hard and paint will not come off it. From pre excavated ground level up.

3- misplaced lead in roof valley diverting water into wall cavity. Now corrected.

4- wall cavity is filled with insulation.

5- the rear wall has only lower half painted. I assume exposed brick soaks water and is trapped by lower masonry paint.

2634675074844fa6debe726df2566a955a783e96.jpg

6- concrete floor and step of back door is butted to wall but is above damp course, with no damp course of its own that I can detect.

Ive dug down to expose damp course. I understand that this should be exposed another two courses below damp course. Still considering options to hold back ground level as can't excavate whole area to lower level. It has sewage pipes and concrete lumps for fence in it.
Im scraping off all paint that is loose. Bricks are very powdery. After light brush over, I plan to:

-- paint whole area with patio/driveway cleaner to kill algae. Scrub and jet wash wall carefully.
-- Fill surface of upper wall/unpainted brick at rear to make smoother surface before painting as bricks, whilst hard and solid they are cracked and pitted. Should I fill with exterior filler or cement?

26346751b7bb409ca79461f05f45c34d48ea424e.jpg

-- Repoint missing mortar in two courses above damp course with cement. (not ideal but rest of wall has cement so think another two courses will not be any worse).
-- Once dry, treat exposed, powdery bricks (the previously painted ones) with oil based stabiliser (I gather the solvent has smaller molecules than the water based version so penetrates further)
-- Paint exposed brick with diluted masonry paint to further help key. -- Paint whole area with two coats weathersheild or sandtex. (any issue with water based paint on solvent stabiliser?)

Thats my plan of action and was just after any advice, pointers, confirmation Im doing the right thing before I invest any more time into this!
Many thanks.
Matt

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    matty_hunt wrote: »
    -- Repoint missing mortar in two courses above damp course with cement. (not ideal but rest of wall has cement so think another two courses will not be any worse).
    -- Once dry, treat exposed, powdery bricks (the previously painted ones) with oil based stabiliser (I gather the solvent has smaller molecules than the water based version so penetrates further)
    -- Paint exposed brick with diluted masonry paint to further help key. -- Paint whole area with two coats weathersheild or sandtex. (any issue with water based paint on solvent stabiliser?)

Thats my plan of action and was just after any advice, pointers, confirmation Im doing the right thing before I invest any more time into this!

Please have a read of this thread, in particular post #7 https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5866353

I would strip off the paint, try to remove as much of the cement pointing as possible, and then repoint with a lime mortar. If repainting the walls, use a lime wash (mix your own with lime putty, water, and natural pigments).

Digging down six inches or so below the slate DPC is good. If you need to bring the surface level up again, use gravel - Be aware that even with gravel, rain water will splash up and produce a small amount of damp in the bricks. Aim for one course below the DPC to be exposed as a minimum.

People like Mike Wye can advise on and sell materials.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • matty_hunt
    matty_hunt Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Freebear. Interesting read. Repointing is going to be a lot of work and like the referred to thread, I'll have to weigh up the long term value. The other half is looking at this as an opportunity to remove all the downstair rear walls and have an extension built. She'll have to come up with the winning lottery numbers first! Though it would be a solution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure