Time off for interviews - dublin

Options
Hi,

I am living and working in Dublin at the moment, originally from the UK and looking to change my job.
Does anyone know if the law in Ireland is the same as the UK where an employer is obliged to give you time off for the interview?

Struggling to find anything online.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I wasn't aware that UK gave you the right to take time off work for an interview.

It isn;t listed on the CAB web site.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/basic-rights-and-contracts/time-off-work-overview/

But if you are happy for your employer to know that you are looking for other jobs, then why not ask them?

Of course, if you haven't been there long and they know you are looking around they may just sack you anyway!
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Halladay34 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am living and working in Dublin at the moment, originally from the UK and looking to change my job.
    Does anyone know if the law in Ireland is the same as the UK where an employer is obliged to give you time off for the interview?

Thanks in advance

I didnt realise the law said that in the UK.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that UK gave you the right to take time off work for an interview.

As far as I am aware, that only applies during redundancy notice periods:

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/suitable-alternative-employment

Clearly it would be nonsense to have the right to time off for interviews during normal working period as what would there be to stop someone going for interviews every week just to get time off work?
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, that only applies during redundancy notice periods:

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/suitable-alternative-employment

Clearly it would be nonsense to have the right to time off for interviews during normal working period as what would there be to stop someone going for interviews every week just to get time off work?

Correct.

Also remember an employer can dictate when an employee can and cannot take their holiday. Unless they have any additional contractual rights, the employer can refuse any holiday request providing they are able to take their entitlement at some point during the year.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    It's also only reasonable time off. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what that means?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Halladay34 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks in advance
    No such law exists (although I think there is something around this when in redundancy, but whether that's just policy im not sure)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Options
    You'll still need to make arrangements for time off for the interviews, but it may be worth you seeing if you can be interviewed by Skype. that would reduce the amount of time you'd need off!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    You'll still need to make arrangements for time off for the interviews, but it may be worth you seeing if you can be interviewed by Skype. that would reduce the amount of time you'd need off!

It's very common for first round interviews to be done by Skype (other video conference services are available) or phone but I don't know many employers who would make a job offer without doing a final interview in person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure