Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Chanie my DH reckons Istanbul airport is the bar in Star Wars - you will see all nationalities in there!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oooh that's an exciting project chanie! I love city breaks.:D

We've been all over Western Europe and in the last couple of years started creeping East! The only places on your list I've been to are Athens and the various Eastern European destinations.

All I'd say is don't limit it to a weekend, go for longer!:D Weve had a number of split centre breaks of 6 nights with 3 in each city that have been great. In Eastern Europe we've been to Prague, Budapest, Warsaw and Krakow so far. I enjoyed them all. Prague and Krakow are smallish, walkable places. Budapest and Warsaw are much bigger but have great tram systems for getting about.

I went to Athens in the autumn (end October) so it was cool enough to walk up to the Partheneon etc. We just had a couple of days in Athens as before that we'd travelled across the Corinth canal to the Peloponnese and visited the classical sites like Mycenae and Epidaurus. Actually that's something you could do another time with the family as the children will learn about Ancient Greece at school and it can be linked with a beach holiday. It's certainly too much for a weekend.:)

I'm another that loves Italy. This year we went to Venice and Milan for my birthday. I really liked Verona but Florence is good too.

I also liked Istanbul very much indeed. I'm a big Turkey fan so it was good to see classical sites whereas I normally go to beach resorts. There's plenty to do in the city itself for a weekend and the food is great. It's very similar to Greek but IMO a bit better.

I'll stop there as I could list masses of great destinations. It depends what sort of break you want.:)

Another beautiful day here. I'm really going to miss the sun when it goes.:( Summer dance class tonight so a light skirt and sleeveless top I think or maybe a dress.

P.S. Which Skechers did you choose chanie? I'd like another pair but torn between the trainer ones or shoes. They are amazingly comfortable though. Perfect for city breaks!:rotfl:
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Floss wrote: »
    Chanie my DH reckons Istanbul airport is the bar in Star Wars - you will see all nationalities in there!

Funny you mention that - we have actually been to the Star Wars bar when we went to Tunisia!!!!

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. Definitely something to think about.

Maman - I got the trainer type of sketchers. We went to an outlet store so I could only get the ones they had in my size. Although they are the trainer type, they have a lace panel on the top, so they are a bit more forgiving, for work purposes.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Ladies,
    Well, I've had a quiet few days indoors but I have been through everything in my wardrobe. Anything I know I will never wear again is either in the bin or going to the charity shop. All the rest has been washed, ironed and checked for missing buttons, etc. Actually I've got far more than I realised. Did the same with toiletries and make up but I'm determined to use all that up before I buy any more.
    Still keeping up with the routine although I was really tired on Saturday and it was a bit of a struggle but the thought of admitting on here that I hadn't kept it up kept me on the straight and narrow. It might be my imagination but I think my facial skin is definitely softer and looking brighter.
    I hope our bathroom scales are accurate because, if they are, I lost just under 2kg in the last week. Not a lot but going in the right direction.
    Thanks for all the encouragement.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Am very excited to update that we are starting the works on our house over the next few days. We need some minor building works doing and OHs mate has agreed to do it cheaply, providing he can fit it around his other commitments. Once finished, me and OH will do the decorating ourselves. We will be doing our dining room and hallway, including a new dining suite and flooring. We don!!!8217;t yet know how we are decorating, so I am off to research....
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    TF - you are doing SO well and congratulations on the weight loss. Must admit it's easier to watch the diet in hot weather!
    Just a thought - many years ago there was a big trend for colour analysis - identifying which range of colours suit your skin and categorised by the seasons. DH treated me for a birthday and I must admit I still use it as it works! Everything in my wardrobe will go with something else. It makes shopping much easier and stopped the impulsive buys that never get worn. There's plenty of info on the internet if it's something you may be interested in.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you, Silvasava. I'll look into that.
    At the moment I'm wearing what I have. Don't want to make any major purchases until I've lost a fair more bit of weight. Most of what I have is black. I did have some navy but that's all gone now because I don't really suit it (think I bought it because I thought it made me look slimmer but it just made me look dowdy!). I'm brightening up the black with pretty tops. My ambition is to actually feel confident enough to buy a dress but I think that's a bit off yet,
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I want to congratulate you too TF. You're doing amazingly well.:T I think it's helping us too as it's easy to get into a bit of a rut and you're making us think.

When indiepanda used to post regularly she was very into colour analysis. For future reference, this company:

https://www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/

It does all sorts of basics in a huge range of colours but I agree with you, don't buy unless you have to at the moment. It must be hard not wearing dresses when it's so hot. The loose ones I bought on holiday have been brilliant and I've worn them over and over again for weeks. Cost per wear must be pennies!:D

While I don't belong to the specific thread about using up toiletries I'm certainly doing my best. I'm aiming for the day when all I have will be favourites that I've chosen. I'm getting there. ;) One of the other things I've noticed is that I probably was using too much product before and now things last much longer. If you watch beauticians they take a small amount of, say, moisturiser and rub it between their palms and then it goes much further. Then I don't feel so bad about buying expensive stuff.:o

I bought a couple more massages on Groupon so now I have 3 waiting. I'll probably leave it until next month to make appointments.

Exciting news about the home improvements chanie. You're gradually getting all through the house. Do share your plans for decorating with us. LL is always full of good ideas.:)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've changed my skincare from No7 P&P to Body Shop VitE as my face decided it didn't like it any more! I had quite a stash of unused stuff so sold it all online - a lot had been bought in their gift sets so I hadn't paid full price - and bought myself a new Carvela bag in a deep pink alligator-effect leather :)

Think I will be doing another KM pass through my wardrobes this weekend, I have a lot of stuff I've held onto but my shape has changed with my size so need to be realistic & honest whether I will wear it all again :o
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 August 2018 at 1:24PM
    Hello lovely ladies......acupuncture this morning and now have the usual headache so just taking it easy for an hour or two, till it cools down a bit. Although I need to pop out to the little shop.

Loving the ideas for weekend breaks. So many beautiful cities in the world. As you know I've got Iceland booked for next year. I am really looking forward to that. I might be going to Madrid for new year but not entirely made up my mind yet. DIL wants me to go with them to meet some of her family.

Well now .....after a lot of messing about and the usual delays it looks as if I might get my wish to legally complete this month after all. Seeing the solicitor on Thursday so will know more then. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Yesterday we started dismantling wardrobes.......my buyer wanted me to throw them in for free.......no chance, they are only 2 years Old and cost me around £2k. Cheeky beggars. :rotfl: I have packed away most of my clothes and am now managing with a capsule wardrobe.......soooo not me. :rotfl: same with the very expensive curtain poles. In days gone by I would have been all soft hearted and left them .......not any more.

Today I need to start filling in the holes in the wall and start retouching paintwork, making good. I think I will also start removing paintings and mirrors too whilst I'm at it.

I have just done a freezer inventory. I think I have just about have the right amount of meat and fish in there to last until I move.

TF. You're going great guns. Well done.

Floss....love the sound of the pink alligator bag. I adore my Barbie pink carry on case.

Whilst I was in Brazil I bought a red wooden bag, little pieces of wood joined together. A bit like those place mats you get.....in fact I also bought a set of place mats too. I love the bag, it really adds a bit of colour and fun to a plain outfit. In fact I have bought a couple of brightly coloured bags this year. I very rarely wear patterned clothing, tending to go for block colour rather than prints so I decided to start adding more colourful accessories. I have been collecting brightly coloured leather gloves, as well as pashminas and scarves for some time now but I'm now starting on bags and shoes......:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure