Reconditioned Laptop

I bought a reconditioned laptop for my son back in Apr from a company called Laptops direct who I have bought from before. It came with a 90 day warranty (i was offered an option to buy a longer warranty but didnt) It has now stopped working. I have taken it back to the shop and they have said there is nothing they can do as the warranty has run out.
Do I have any options I had a reasonable expectation that it would last longer than 3 months but does that apply with it being reconditioned?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Reconditioned probably means they did a reset on it..

Not many parts to recondition.Half the stuff is soldered to the main board and other parts are not able to recondition or not worth the effort.

Whats actually wrong with it and how old is the original unit?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Reconditioned could mean its anything from 1 years old to 10 years old.

It usually, as has been said, means a quick reinstall of the O/S and a wipe down with a cloth.

As already asked, whats the specific model, spec and price paid?

Also, whats the fault?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Remind laptops direct that lack of conformity in the first 6 months is assumed to be inherent and its for them to prove otherwise. And the consumer rights act applies whether new, reconditioned or second hand.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • motorguy
    Remind laptops direct that lack of conformity in the first 6 months is assumed to be inherent and its for them to prove otherwise. And the consumer rights act applies whether new, reconditioned or second hand.

Do we know yet that it is a fault? It could be to do with software installed or a failed update?
  • Satisfactory quality is harder to define. The law says "satisfactory" is what a reasonable person would be happy with, looking at all of the information easily available to you, such as its price and condition.

The same consumer rights rules apply to second-hand and sale goods from shops. They must be of satisfactory quality and, if they're faulty, you can return them.

It's worth stressing that the second-hand price will be taken into account.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/#second

If the product was graded as Minor cosmetic markings & minimal use then I'd certainly expect it to last more than 3 months, if it was stated it had had heavier use or was in less good condition, and it was very cheap, then maybe not.

Just to add I had a new laptop from Laptops Direct about 10 years ago and it's still working, but has just been replaced on slowness grounds
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • unholyangel
    motorguy wrote: »
    Do we know yet that it is a fault? It could be to do with software installed or a failed update?

As I said, any lack of conformity within the first 6 months is assumed to be inherent unless the retailer proves otherwise. Well, there is also unless the lack of conformity being inherent is incompatible with the nature of the goods or how they fail to conform. But I can't see that applying here
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • motorguy
    As I said, any lack of conformity within the first 6 months is assumed to be inherent unless the retailer proves otherwise. Well, there is also unless the lack of conformity being inherent is incompatible with the nature of the goods or how they fail to conform. But I can't see that applying here

How do we know the supplier hasnt already said this "lack of conformity" is caused by a windows update failure, user error, software install, etc.

And likewise, the supplier could argue that with 4 months issue free use, they have proven the "lack of conformity" wasnt present at the time of sale?
  • unholyangel
    How do we know the supplier hasnt already said this "lack of conformity" is caused by a windows update failure, user error, software install, etc.

And likewise, the supplier could argue that with 4 months issue free use, they have proven the "lack of conformity" wasnt present at the time of sale?

Because then the OP probably would have told us that the retailer was telling them they aren't liable rather than that they can't do anything because the warranty has run out (warranties typically dont cover software or user damage).

You're misunderstanding what a inherent fault is I think - its one that was present but not necessarily apparent. So the fact it didn't appear at the time of sale doesn't mean it wasn't present.

If it simply not being apparent at time of sale was proof it wasn't inherent then the 6 month burden wouldn't exist in the first place.
  • motorguy
    Because then the OP probably would have told us that the retailer was telling them they aren't liable rather than that they can't do anything because the warranty has run out (warranties typically dont cover software or user damage).

You're misunderstanding what a inherent fault is I think - its one that was present but not necessarily apparent. So the fact it didn't appear at the time of sale doesn't mean it wasn't present.

If it simply not being apparent at time of sale was proof it wasn't inherent then the 6 month burden wouldn't exist in the first place.

You're really over thinking and over articulating this.

We dont even know what the issue is and you've already decided its the retailers fault. A simple Windows update failure could cause a laptop to stop functioning.

Nor do we know the age of the laptop or how much the O/P paid for it. All of those play a part when an item is bought used.
  • unholyangel
    You're really over thinking and over articulating this.

We dont even know what the issue is and you've already decided its the retailers fault. A simple Windows update failure could cause a laptop to stop functioning.

Nor do we know the age of the laptop or how much the O/P paid for it. All of those play a part when an item is bought used.

No I haven't. What I have done is assumed - because it is within the first 6 months - that it is inherent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure