Great Grants Hunt

Comments

• Just to let people know Grants for interview clothing are available for people claiming benefits ,I got one the other day from the jobcentre they just ask how much you need and what for I got £27.00 for a blouse and trousers.They do need the reciept back and any change.
  • carlih1
    carlih1 Posts: 846 Forumite
    One of my neighbours has just had their driveway done in their council house, i rang up the council to see if they had done it and they said they probably got it done on a grant, anyone know of this i can't find anything about it anywhere

Carli x
  • gordo8 wrote: »
    Hope this is in the correct thread, I am on the look out for a grant/loan to get a disabled buggy. I have just had to move house to a private rent as housing Association wouldn't help with adaptations to my bathroom for a walk in shower, nor would they offer help for a transfer nearer to a town, and a more suitable house.. saying we would have to wait up to 5 years.
    There were 6 of us, 2 adults 4 children under 10 in a very small 3 bed house, 1 living room and smallish kitchen, two children shared, the eldest had the box room and we had the baby (16months) in with us. I am up 5-6 times a night in pain or popping off to the loo which meant he was always awake. and still they wouldn't help

Now I have a rather expensive house with walk in shower in a town. the baby has his own room ad we have a downstairs loo, altogether my quaility of life has gone up, but we are having to pay for it.
    I already have a faimly car on motabilty (so can't go down that route again) relying on my wife to take me everwhere, sometimes this is not possible because of school runs etc. Now being in town I still find I am a bit of a prisoner but could have some independance, finanically we are stretched with affording the new house so cannot buy a secondhand buggy, My fingers are crossed that someone knows a charity or organistaion that can help.

Sorry to have rambled on a bit or bored you

why not swap your motability car for a buggy ?
    then buy your wife a very cheap car for the school run.
    that way you could be totally independant.
    can you drive a car yourself or is your wife the driver?
    maybe you could do the school run and then have fully control over the car.
  • bergy2
    bergy2 Posts: 387 Forumite
    Hi

Most people on income support or IB JSA know you can claim the sure start maternity grant of £500 and do - as do people getting WT Credit too and they claim 11 weeks before babies due and midwives help with forms and signatures

However - most people in jobs or on maternity leave do not know they can get this grant when claiming Child Tax Credit above the basic family element of around £500 a year or £1000 a year if baby is under 1 year old

Yes that's £500 just for filling in a form :)
  • A.J._3-2
    A.J._3-2 Posts: 121 Forumite
    bergy2 wrote: »
    Hi

Most people on income support or IB JSA know you can claim the sure start maternity grant of £500 and do - as do people getting WT Credit too and they claim 11 weeks before babies due and midwives help with forms and signatures

However - most people in jobs or on maternity leave do not know they can get this grant when claiming Child Tax Credit above the basic family element of around £500 a year or £1000 a year if baby is under 1 year old

Yes that's £500 just for filling in a form :)

Hi, The Sure Start Maternity Grant (SSMG) you are talking about is a one of payment, of £500 per baby, if you are at least 29 weeks pregnant or baby under 3 months old. If you have adopted a baby you can apply as long as baby under age of one when adopted and you claim ASAP, within 1 months of adoption. if in doubt apply and get an official answer. You can also apply if baby is still born after 24 weeks or the baby is born prior to 29 weeks. If you claim tax credits for a new baby and then claim SSMG and get turned down put in a new claim as soon as tax credit is awarded even if baby over three months old (loop hole-late award of Qualifing Benefit, used to work on a SSMG claims section). You can apply for this if a memeber of your household, who is under 19, is expecting or had a baby. Hope this helps.:o
    Proud to be dealing with my debt
    CCCS member, Debt free wannable nerd 1237
    Combined debt total=[STRIKE]sept 09 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£5679.27[/STRIKE] Nov 09 £4599.46
    DFD [STRIKE]SEP [/STRIKE] OCT 2012:huh:
  • Inverness
    Inverness Posts: 269 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    nessquic80 wrote: »
    does anyone know of any grant/s that are avaible for central heatig, at the moment our house has none, we have a fire and two electric heaters upstairs you can imagine my electric bill in the winter.
    Me and my partner work full time earn 25k and have just had a baby last december, so a grant would be very much appreicated to help with the coast!

If you are receiving any means tested benefts, contact your local auhority and enquire about a "decent homes loan".
  • cidergirl
    cidergirl Posts: 434 Forumite
    is there any help out there for extensions to make extra room i have 5 kids one gets disability living allowance for adhd age 17 he shares with his brother my daughter 15 shares with her 11 year old brother and my 6 year old sleeps with us in our room only 3 bedrooms we get wftc ctc under the amount to qualify for free prescriptions hubby on low wage any help appreciated thanks
  • Hi,
    does anyone know of a grant available for Solid Wall Insulation?
    I recently had a Warm Front rep call round but was only offered help towards draft proofing my front door (rubber trims).

I live in a 1 bedroom back-to-back end terraced house with solid walls.

Thanks
  • I am in a similar situation - I live in a 1960 John Madin tower block in Edgbaston and he chose to build without cavity walls. The end wall of the flat is extremely cold and is my greatest source of heat loss. I am going to dry-line it and sandwich an insulation barrier into it. There are various brands in all the DIY stores - one is called Thermawrap, which is really just bubble wrap with a foil coating.

It seems a shame that I cannot get a grant to help with this just because the schemes are all set up for just cavity walls.
  • RogRog
    RogRog Posts: 10 Forumite
    D.L.A. again help for a Epiletic PLEASE...
    Hello please help in anyway you can.

Our forms have come through again and so worried about filling them out as last time We had to go to a tribunal because the DWP said I wan't having enough fits.........Trying to get better...... around 8-12 fits a month, and phsiatica of the Back which means after a fit I can't hardly walk. I have my wife who is my full time helper and two young children, we can't go through all the hassle again of our money getting stoped. Any hints and tips and help please.
    Kind regards,

Roger and Jennifer Tatt

user_online.gif [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com?subject=Reporting post http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=17534083"]report.gif[/EMAIL]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure