Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,492
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Glad you like your eyebrows cat. I enjoy having it done. :)

I love Thomas Hardy. He's one of the few authors DH and I both enjoy. I picked up Jude the Obscure after DH had finished it and loved it. Maybe it made a difference that I did it from choice with no exam at the end. :D I've read many of his books since. A couple of years ago we had an American visitor who'd done her PhD on Hardy. We had a lovely day visiting all the sites in Dorset. :)

Is that a family do you're catering for LL? I've not done a big family party for years but when I did I always played it simple with trays of lasagne or a boeuf bourginon or curry. Then plenty of bread and salad and cheeses. My 'go to' pudding is a DIY Eton mess where I just put out meringues and berries and cream and leave them to it.:)

We've had a good day out with DD2 today. As expected we went shopping and for lunch. I was very restrained and spent £2.50:D
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 21 August 2019 at 8:29AM
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Yes it's a big family "do". I cooked a chilli yesterday for the main event. There's also a lamb tagine which I cooked and froze last week which is less spicy and moderately spiced chicken drumsticks. So hopefully something for everybody.

Then as you say, before that it will be waves of starter type things, a sort of cross between Tapas and a Greek Mezze.

They all love their grub and love nothing more than tucking in to an array of different things. For saying they are all slim they can't half eat......so I need to ensure there is plenty. :rotfl:

Traditionally Venezuelan food is surprisingly bland although the younger generation seem to have developed a liking for more spicy foods. I also like to throw in some traditional British dishes for them to try.

It will be an unholy mix of mini pork pies, mini BBQ sausages, mushroom vol au vonts, falafels, couscous, garlic roasted potatoes, garlic bread, assorted salads and dips etc. For desserts there will tarte citron, chocolate, ice cream, cheese.

As you say, keeping it simple and I'm going to cheat and use paper plates and napkins.

I have two of those restaurant type hot plates with candles and also a mini hostess type tray so that I can keep things warm. And they are all very good at mucking in......they will probably bring some extra food and drink too.

DS2 and his girl are arriving first (to fix my lawnmower) and they will help me set up.

It will be like something from the film "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". :rotfl:

Last time I saw them the FIL beamed and said "we are eating with you next week", then turned to the Boyfriend and said "very good, she is a very good cook, you will be very happy".

Praise indeed......just hope I don't disappoint.

The largest party I ever cooked for was when my husband and I got married. We moved to Cheltenham a week after our small wedding which was just a party of 13. The following week we threw a big wedding/leaving party. I did the catering myself because we were pretty skint at the time. I catered for 150 guests.:eek:It was like a military operation.

Well I'd better get started......wish me luck.

Need to give myself time to glam up.......;)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,492
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm sure it will be a very happy event LL. How lovely to have that compliment from the FIL. Interesting what you said about the Venezuelan changing tastes. It's been my experience with the French too. Our French friends love nothing more than being taken to an Indian curry house and the love horseradish or mint sauce with a roast.:) When you think about it, British tastes have changed massively over the years too probably because of migration and travel.

It's a lovely day here and promises to get warmer towards the weekend. That's unusual for a BH!

I've promised to go to Ikea with DD1 today. My car is larger than hers (I've got a sort of SUV) so it's easier to get stuff into it for transport. We've got a local branch and she knows what she wants so shouldn't take too long. :)

The bathroom is starting to look great. Yesterday he put in the basin and cupboards and shower screen. Also we're having two shower heads: a large overhead one and another removeable one on the wall with a slider. The second one is for when you want a shower but not a hair wash and also for cleaning purposes. The plumber tells me it's a woman thing!:D

I had a quick glance at the fashion pages in the paper this morning. Apparently, 'twench' coats are a thing for autumn. That's trench coats with a twist like reversible or made of a fabric other than the usual khaki. It's something I need to buy but I was hoping for timeless. Isn't that the point? ;)

All my fabbing has been very basic and rudimentary recently. While I can access all my products it's been easier to keep a limited number to hand. It's certainly concentrated the mind as to what I find essential.
  • lessonlearned
    Forumite
    Ooh so I'm ahead of the game with my Twench......

I have a traditional Burberry type - I think it's a Dannimac. Unfortunately I've lost the warm zip in lining so it's not really warm enough for winter now. It also buries me so I need to think about a replacement. (There's a special reason for this but more in a minute).

I also indulged and splashed out on a micro pore trench The stuff that looks like suede so probably not terribly rain proof, like a proper "Mac". So maybe that qualifies as a Twench. :rotfl: its a gorgeous coffee/cinnamon colour. Very glam.

The reason for needing a proper warm waterproof trench this winter.?. I might be going back to work, selling new builds.

I had a telephone "interview" yesterday with an agency who supplies cover for developers. More of an informal chat really because I have worked with them before. Anyway I'm meeting with them next week.

I have been out of the industry for over 13 years now so It will mean some retraining both online and attending a course which I will need to self fund but I am happy to do that. I consider it investing in personal development.

I am ready......

I have been thinking about getting a job or starting up a business for some time now and this should fit the bill nicely because it is so flexible. I can work as little or as often as I like. I get all the advantages (apart from the mega salary of course) but none of the real responsibility and stress. Being just a casual is really just a form of site babysitting.

Time was when the control freak in me would not have been happy with that because I did like to run the show but now I think I would be quite happy to just lock up at the end of the day and walk away.

I would be happy with an average of a couple of days a week, although it won't work like that. I might have to do a full week to provide holiday cover or maybe even longer if it's sickness cover. But the beauty is.....I can say no.

I could even still have time to run a therapy business as well if I really wanted to. But I might not bother with that if the site work goes well. That will probably be more than enough, both timewise and in monetary terms.

Anyway I'm running ahead with myself. I'll meet up with them next week and take it from there. I'm seeing them next Wednesday.

Right that's breakfast and coffee done. A naughty cheese stuffed croissant. Not exactly diet friendly but delicious. ;)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I did a hair treatment and used my homemade sugar scrub in the shower this morning.

I'm wearing my new dark grey maxi Tu dress (this is the right length) and my sparkly blue stone necklace.:)
    SSDD23 wrote: »
    I bought a "petite" maxi dress the other day, not because I am normally the right size for petite clothing, but because whenever I seem to buy maxi dresses, they have always been dragging on the floor. I put it on and went downstairs, didn't even get to look at it in the mirror as OH turned his nose up and said "it's too long". I didn't know what to say other than "It's supposed to be long, it's a maxi dress" :rotfl: :rotfl: I will try it on again later and decide for myself whether it looks ok, I don't trust his opinion if his opinion contradicts the actual style of the dress :rotfl:

I find I have the same problem although I'm not that short, 5 foot 6.

I have one maxi dress that I can only wear with higher heeled boots.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    I had a quick glance at the fashion pages in the paper this morning. Apparently, 'twench' coats are a thing for autumn. That's trench coats with a twist like reversible or made of a fabric other than the usual khaki. It's something I need to buy but I was hoping for timeless. Isn't that the point? ;)

I never did get around to buying a trench coat this year as the weather warmed up too quickly. I need to look for one.:)

• I find I have the same problem although I'm not that short, 5 foot 6.

I have one maxi dress that I can only wear with higher heeled boots.

Same size as me then :D
    Heels will be an option at some point in the future when someone finally works out what is wrong with my left foot, but for now they're a no-go.

My skin is definitely calming down again now, thank god, Everything is clearing up slowly but surely and no new occurrences seem to be creeping up on me. I do need some more of my face stuff but hoping Boots will put it back on their 3 for 2 offer sometime soon as it is not cheap!
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hello Ladies,

Yesterday afternoon I went to watch the film Once Upon A Time In Hollywood which proved to be a total waste of time and money. :p

I went to Karaoke in the evening and had a fun time. :D I sang 3 of my usual songs and I left early at 10.50pm ( rather than 12 midnight when it finishes). My bus home was suddenly on diversion at Brixton with no warning, so I had to walk the rest of the way home, which took me 30 minutes. :( Oh well at least I gave my body some exercise. :D

I have at least 10 full length dresses and none of them need especially high heels to stop them dragging on the floor. :) They are all evening or ball gowns so I do wear heels with them but only up to 2.5 inches or lower. I am also 5 feet 6 inches in height. ;)
  • lessonlearned
    Forumite
    edited 21 August 2019 at 3:29PM
    Everything prepped, just having 5 minutes before I get glammed up.

I think I'm about 5'6" now too. The beauty of long gowns is that you don't always need very high heels unlike cocktail dresses which I think really need a good heel height. I sometimes even wear my long gowns with sparkly ballet flats on cruises, safer when there is a bit of a swell and the ship is rocking. :rotfl: tottering about on high heels can be quite dangerous on board.

I went to a shop recently that sell a lot of dance and evening shoes and they even recommend "cruise height" heels, usually no more than 2" with a fairly chunky heel.

Personally I do like the hem of the gown to cover my shoes and just sort of brush the floor iyswim but that's just me. I feel that I just look odd with "ankle graze" dresses. I'm a bit self conscious of my size 7 feet. Not exactly small and dainty. :rotfl:

Think I'll wear one of my swirly skirts tonight.

Thanks for the tip about Once upon a time in Hollywood - read your review on the Champagne thread. I did wonder about it. , I am supposed to be going on Tuesday, but having read your review I might not bother.

I trust your reviews:D

Shame because I normally like Leo De Caprio.....he's not just a pretty face. I think the man is a fine actor and now he's older and a bit more "craggy and interesting" rather than simply handsome, he's moving away from romantic leading man roles and he now normally chooses good meaty parts in interesting films. He's also very good at comedy.

I personally don't particularly rate Tarantino, I think his films are now lazy, formulaic and somewhat overrated. A bit like Guy Ritchie. They both made one good film and then just seem to have rested on their laurels ever since. Greedy, lazy with an over reliance on strong language and gratuitous sex and violence. No real witty dialogue any more.

Overgrown schoolboys trying to shock.....:rotfl:

I do sound like a prude but I can assure you I'm no such thing. I genuinely don't mind strong language, sex and violence but it has to be narrative driven, not just tagged on for effect and shock value.

One of my favourite de Caprio films is Wolf of Wall Street. Leo is outrageous in it. Sex and foul language notwithstanding it is achingly funny. Again he pairs up with Margot Robbie and the two of them together are just hilarious. If you are not easily offended I can thoroughly recommend it.
  • I've been recently been more active and seeing a difference on the availability of the clothes I can get closed. My "diet" of making better choices seems to be working. I'm trying to avoid calorie dense foods and coffees. A simple swop of the latte for an Americano with a dash of hot milk saves calories and trying to have soup with no more than 150 calories for lunch.
    It's a process to make better decisions daily and resist more temptation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure