Zoom Lens for Nikon d3500 dslr advice please...

Comments

• photodgm
    photodgm Posts: 236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know the requirements of her course, but since you have started down the dslr route I think the best 70-300 lens would be the Nikon AF-P 70-300 f4.5-6.3 G ED VR DX lens. It is auto focus, has vibration reduction and is DX which means it is designed for the sensor size of your daughter's camera. It is not the cheapest option. I would be happy to buy 2nd hand but personally I would be wary of ebay for a 2nd hand lens.
  • The Nikon D3500 uses the Nikon F mount and therefore uses the exact same lenses as the top of the line Nikon cameras. She won't have to replace the lenses at all (except for quality reasons).

Edit: with the caveat that the lenses are full frame lenses of course.
    And for the OP, that caveat is important. The DX camera has a smaller sensor (physical size) than so-called full-frame cameras and the lenses that you will likely be looking at produce an image on the sensor that covers all of your sensor, but not all of the sensor on a full-frame camera.

I’ve recently bought a full-frame Nikon (DF) and although my DX lenses work with it they are. It ideal, as the camera can only use the central part of the sensor.

It’s worth finding out if a full-frame camera is in the plans, and if so going with full-frame lenses now.
  • Thank-you for all your helpful comments, all very much appreciated. Seems we have a lot of long and hard thinking to do!
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    PhylPho wrote: »
    The advice you're being given is absurd.

And top of the list is the tripe you wrote. I suspect you have a massive chip on your anorak about Nikon because it's out of your price range even the basic stuff.

The FZ1000 you allude to is a brick with crappy battery life, a pokey small viewfinder, nasty variable aperture with a min of.....f8 !!!!!!! It's also much more expensive than the Nikon.

I learnt most of my basic photography on a s/h F3hp md4. The Nikon will be fine it also benefits from the F mount so 100's of top quality s/h lens.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary

You'd be much better advised NOT to waste any further time looking at grey market prices / Nikon UK prices and instead buy your daughter a decent bridge camera, either new or refurbished -- Panasonic's excellent FZ1000 and successor comes to mind -- as it's this type of camera which actually stimulates a user into taking more and more pictures . . . and getting rewarding results which will encourage them to do more, learn more, and enjoy more. A massively expensive dSLR kit will likely achieve the exact opposite where a novice user is concerned.

I strongly disagree, I own several 1in sensor cameras (RX100mk1, RX100MkIV, RX10mk2 and a Mavic Pro 2) and while they offer a great balance between size and image quality they're a poor choice for learning photography. The smaller sensor with a fixed zoom lens means you have almost no DoF control, the larger APS-C sensor has two stops less DoF at any aperture and as it's not fixed you can put a cheap 35mm F1.8 on there to give a low light or shallow depth of field option.

The APS-C sensor also has a lot more latitude for editing in post processing particularly for dynamic range and much cleaner at high iso as well.

The FZ1000 is a great all in one camera for convenience but it's a terrible camera to learn photography on particularly when the OP has already bought the DSLR.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thank-you for all your helpful comments, all very much appreciated. Seems we have a lot of long and hard thinking to do!

For a 70-300mm range I'd say it comes down to these two:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-JAA829DA-4-5-6-3G-ED-VR/dp/B01KJ8UMKK/ref=pd_sbs_421_1/261-0717934-1105840?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01KJ8UMKK&pd_rd_r=6b4018bd-0f5c-4e42-8623-2d3188d18d1d&pd_rd_w=dj9SU&pd_rd_wg=cZpkk&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=9VZ2TSGHAFK4JCEENSPX&psc=1&refRID=9VZ2TSGHAFK4JCEENSPX

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-70-300-4-5-6-Lens-Nikon/dp/B003YUBTIA/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=tamron+70-300mm&qid=1563711305&s=electronics&sr=1-4

It's a good range on top of a standard zoom lens and a reasonable price, you'll see from the comparison link someone else posted that while you could get further or faster the prices go up quickly.

Make sure any lens you're looking at has image stabilisation, Nikon called VR (Vibration Reduction) while Tamron call it VC (Vibration Compensation). For lenses of this focal length it's extremely useful and makes it practical to use the lenses handheld, without any stabilisation especially in the often grey British weather it's often difficult to use such a lens handheld.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    And for the OP, that caveat is important. The DX camera has a smaller sensor (physical size) than so-called full-frame cameras and the lenses that you will likely be looking at produce an image on the sensor that covers all of your sensor, but not all of the sensor on a full-frame camera.

I’ve recently bought a full-frame Nikon (DF) and although my DX lenses work with it they are. It ideal, as the camera can only use the central part of the sensor.

It’s worth finding out if a full-frame camera is in the plans, and if so going with full-frame lenses now.

Yes it is. I added the edit as it's been awhile since I looked at cameras and lenses and I remembered after the fact that Canon at least used to do a really rubbish cheap kit lens that wasn't full frame.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As a parent myself, you have mny sympathies. However, as a hobbyist photographer since the days of my first Russian-made Zenit 35mm camera, I'm bound in all honesty to say that a 15 year old getting into photography really doesn't need Nikon equipment to do so -- it's complete overkill, as are the prices likely to be encountered.

That's because, to use your phrase, "top end lenses' and 'top end equipment' is directed to 'top end users', i.e. people who know how to get the best from that which they've so expensively acquired.

Having come across this kind of nonsense time and again with local authority-run so-called 'education programmes' (though hopefully, what's being referred to here isn't such a scheme) it's blindingly obvious that those running such programmes / schemes haven't a clue what they're doing, and shouldn't be taken the slightest notice of.

Telling a complete novice they need to have a Nikon dSLR regardless of the fact that they know nothing about photography is like telling a would-be artist that they need to buy the Sistine Chapel in order to learn how to paint. It's blatant stupity.

You'd be much better advised NOT to waste any further time looking at grey market prices / Nikon UK prices and instead buy your daughter a decent bridge camera, either new or refurbished -- Panasonic's excellent FZ1000 and successor comes to mind -- as it's this type of camera which actually stimulates a user into taking more and more pictures . . . and getting rewarding results which will encourage them to do more, learn more, and enjoy more. A massively expensive dSLR kit will likely achieve the exact opposite where a novice user is concerned.

As to learning the art and practice of photography, a thorough reading of a bridge camer's user manual (so as to become familiarised with 'manual' shooting) and membership of an online bridge camera user forum will be of considerably greater help, at considerably less expense, than chucking £100s at Nikon lenses that are neither needed nor justified.

Put your money away. The advice you're being given is absurd.

PS: online reviews of 'bridge cameras' are easy to locate via a simple search enquiry. Such reviews are informative, but should not be regarded as Gospel because the entire online reviewing 'industry' is poisoned by the sheer number of free samples and free trips handed out to so-called 'reviewers' by manufacturers of all shapes and sizes. Though Amazon's 'Vine' programme took plenty of stick for being 'corrupt', it at least was honest enough to be visible.

Considering they've already invested around £300 in the D3500 plus whichever lens it came with, I can't see the sense in advising them to junk it and start all over again with a (probably) lower quality and very much more limited bridge camera.

Perhaps his daughter has a love for photography that can blossom into a lifelong hobby or even career?
  • shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tberry6686 wrote: »
    Looks like the camera uses the Nikon F mount with AF so anything with that mount should be fine.

The following sentence should read "If you are happy to manually focus'"

The D3500 does not have a focussing motor and relies on lens models with a motor instead.

All F mount lenses will fit but only some will autofocus.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000035704&configured=1&lang=en_GB
  • shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OP: Make sure you buy a lens with a focussing motor as the D3500 does not have an autofocus motor. https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000035704&configured=1&lang=en_GB

Thom Hogan's recommendations have never let me down:
    http://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/lens-databases-for-nikon/thoms-recommended-lenses.html

With care eBay is a good way to get a decent used lens. I have bought many and not had a problem. It's all about doing your due diligence on the seller.

You really do get what you pay for with camera lenses. If you have to spend money prioritise the glass over the body.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure