Dental costs for full time student

Hi, please can anyone advise whether students have to pay for NHS treatment. My daughter has just come back from her new dentist to be advised she needs 9 fillings! She has always attended her check ups and didn’t need anything doing for a couple of years. Her check up was only late as our previous dentist was tragically killed in an accident. They have also told her she might need root canal treatment on one tooth. I am shocked by this as I have recently been told the same (albeit I was suffering pain) and I question whether they might just be going for big money treatments. I know my treatment (private) is in the region of £900 and she does not have the money from her student loan and summer job. She has an estimate for £62.10 for one amalgam filling so is looking at a huge amount if she has to pay this for each of 9.
I should add that she is FT student age 20
Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Yes unless they meet any of the criteria here

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/get-help-with-dental-costs/

£62.10 is the standard band 2 charge , per filling
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • busybee100
    busybee100 Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Get a HC1 form. I would also want a second opinion with a different dentist.
  • kazmeister
    kazmeister Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    She doesn’t have £558 to her name :cry:
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    If she is at uni and living away from home, then so long as she earns under the threshold, she may be due for help. If she is at home, I believe they take your earnings into account.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • kazmeister
    davemorton wrote: »
    If she is at uni and living away from home, then so long as she earns under the threshold, she may be due for help. If she is at home, I believe they take your earnings into account.

She is living away from home but is home for the summer. Her income is definitely under the threshold!
  • kazmeister
    busybee100 wrote: »
    Get a HC1 form. I would also want a second opinion with a different dentist.

Do you know how she can get that?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    kazmeister wrote: »
    Do you know how she can get that?

Click on the link quoted above for details of dental charges and there is also a link to apply for forms
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Most students will not get free dental treatment as , unfortunately , their student loan is counted as income, but yes fill in a hc1 form to check.

On the NHS in England a band two payment of £62.10 will cover the cost of all fillings and root fillings, it is not per filling. So for this number of fillings and root filling the dentist will actually be losing money, there is no incentive on theNHS to do lots of work.

Your daughter needs to look at her diet urgently. Does she drink a lot of energy drinks or smoothies or fruit teas ? She needs to discuss with her dentist the changes she needs to make to her diet.
  • cakey456
    cakey456 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    NHS Dentist, Band 2: £62.10
    Covers all treatment included in Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).
    This charge covers the cost of the COURSE of treatment which could be one or six fillings.
  • kazmeister
    brook2jack wrote: »
    Most students will not get free dental treatment as , unfortunately , their student loan is counted as income, but yes fill in a hc1 form to check.

On the NHS in England a band two payment of £62.10 will cover the cost of all fillings and root fillings, it is not per filling. So for this number of fillings and root filling the dentist will actually be losing money, there is no incentive on theNHS to do lots of work.

Your daughter needs to look at her diet urgently. Does she drink a lot of energy drinks or smoothies or fruit teas ? She needs to discuss with her dentist the changes she needs to make to her diet.

Thank you. She doesn’t drink anything excessively, perhaps coffee but I don’t think she has sugar so I will get her to talk to the dentist again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure