VT confusion

Comments

• Chlonatben
    Chlonatben Posts: 24
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dr Eskimo - I didn’t know until I got my statement after they told me I owed £1750.

Motor Guy - apart from the actual VT letter I sent to them and the paperwork when I handed the car over, I haven’t signed any other paperwork
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Chlonatben wrote: »
    Dr Eskimo - I didn’t know until I got my statement after they told me I owed £1750.

Motor Guy - apart from the actual VT letter I sent to them and the paperwork when I handed the car over, I haven’t signed any other paperwork

You'll need to ring them then and ask why if you've done a VT and you've paid more than 50% they are billing you for any shortfall in value.
  • Chlonatben
    Forumite
    I rang them today and that’s all they would tell me, that it was a shortfall and I needed to pay. It has been passed to a debt collection agency who have also contacted me re the outstanding balance! They’re just passing me from one to the other and I’m getting nowhere so I’ve told both of them I’m prepared to go to court over it
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have calculated 50% of the total transaction. Total was for £14000 including interest, deposit, admin charge etc and I have paid back £7350.
    The deposit/"initial payment" is not part of the finance package.
    The balloon/"option to purchase" is. You didn't mention that. Does the £14k include the balloon?
  • Chlonatben
    Forumite
    There’s no balloon payment or option to buy.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,273
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 June 2019 at 9:35PM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The deposit/"initial payment" is not part of the finance package.
    The balloon/"option to purchase" is. You didn't mention that. Does the £14k include the balloon?

Sorry but that's not correct in respect of the deposit - Any Deposit is counted as part of the "Total Amount Payable" and also counts towards achieving the 50% threshold for a VT

Customers who elect voluntarily to terminate a contract, must comply with the following:

Pay or have paid at least 50% of the total amount payable under the agreement to the finance company. The total amount payable comprises everything the customer would have paid if the agreement had run its full course including the deposit, amount borrowed, interest and all fees and charges.
    Bring up to date any arrears that are owed to the finance company, even if this results in more than the 50% being paid.
    Return the goods/vehicle in a reasonable condition for their age and mileage.
    Write to the finance company to explain the option they wish to take - this is known as the “surrender” or “voluntary surrender” letter.
    Provided the customer has paid at least half the total amount payable and is up to date with his payments and taken reasonable care of the goods, then the goods can be returned to the finance company with no further liability.
  • Chlonatben
    Forumite
    Nearlyold - as far as I am concerned I have complied with everything you have said. I never missed a payment, I wrote to them to tell them I wanted to VT and the car was in good condition when I took it to their point of return and I have numerous photos to reflect this. I even took the car to We buy any car for a valuation and they value it at £4100!!

I suppose my question is, what do I do if they don't close this matter and keep coming for the outstanding money they say I owe?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879
    Forumite
    Not sure how you can be in month 30 of 60 and be in a position where you have paid 50% of the car, where there was no option to purchase. Someone has advised you incorrectly or got their figures mixed up.

What are all the figures;
    Purchase price
    Deposit
    Interest rate
    Monthly payment
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 June 2019 at 10:30AM
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    Not sure how you can be in month 30 of 60 and be in a position where you have paid 50% of the car, where there was no option to purchase. Someone has advised you incorrectly or got their figures mixed up.

What are all the figures;
    Purchase price
    Deposit
    Interest rate
    Monthly payment

If it is a straight HP (not PCP) and the OP put in a significant initial deposit?

A few years ago I bought a vehicle on HP over three years. 50% deposit and the rest over 36 months, 0% interest. I suspect I could have VTd pretty much immediately.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879
    Forumite
    There’s no balloon payment or option to buy.

Would suggest it is not HP or PCP - so PCH.

It would need to be a big deposit though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure