Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• chris_101_2
    Options
    I took out a household building and contents with Privilege Insurance in November 17 2009 through the GO COMPARE site which offered a good price and also a £20 M&S voucher.
    I e-mailed GO COMPARE recently and was told that these vouchers were not sent out for at least 90 days after you take out the policy.
    This,I think should be made clear on their site.
    Received vouchers today(11/March)
  • Patsy4321
    Options
    I have a question re home insurance in a shared household ie when you are NOT living with family but with flatmates. The only place i can seem to find for this is Endsleight and out of their 30 underwriters only ONE is coming up that will insure us. Surely half of the country lives in shared households what with the number of single people in their 20s and 30s who are not getting married but livign with friends continutally on the rise? Am completely bewildered by this. Do i actually have to be married/living with my mum and dad to get competitive home insurance? At the age of 32???? Help!
  • Thriftkitten
    Thriftkitten Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I am hoping to find a better deal on home insurance at renewal time at the beginning of June, I currently have home insurance with the post office and costs me £193 odd per year for up to 35k including legal protection and a £100 excess, I tried to go onto "confuseddotcom to see what the other deals were like but it won't recognise my postal code as the house was only built in November, does anyone know of any good deals with quidco cashback please.
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • feciko
    Options
    I believe you do not have to take out building insurance via the leaseholder, but the insurance must be equivilent to your leaseholders policy. No doubt they can argue that it is not, who referees the discussion ??

simmonds wrote: »
    think about us poor people that are stuck paying our buildings insurance through our leasehold.
    i live in a 2 bedroom masionette, our buildings insurance yearly bill is extortionate! each household has to pay around 450 a year. we have just recieved this years bill for 476.00. on our street there are 46 maisonettes paying this sum. someones winning somewhere!!
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Patsy4321 wrote: »
    I have a question re home insurance in a shared household ie when you are NOT living with family but with flatmates. The only place i can seem to find for this is Endsleight and out of their 30 underwriters only ONE is coming up that will insure us. Surely half of the country lives in shared households what with the number of single people in their 20s and 30s who are not getting married but livign with friends continutally on the rise? Am completely bewildered by this. Do i actually have to be married/living with my mum and dad to get competitive home insurance? At the age of 32???? Help!

Patsy4321, I was in the same situation until last year. Trying to find a content insurance when you live in a shared house was really difficult. I know Barclays do this. I also asked Swinton and they could only find one provider who was prepared to insure me. Good luck with finding an insurance.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • Calzor_Suzay
    Options
    I've always had cover through Virgin home insurance as part of my original flexible mortgage with them.

Time has come to change though and I'm looking for better cover, not that I've had an issue but then again I've never claimed...

My biggest concern is contents and cover whilst away from home even abroad, I have some expensive camera gear (Approx £3k new) which I quite often take on holiday and would like this covered if possible and things like the other halfs engagement ring, are things like this covered normally or specially quoted for?

I'd rather pay for quality of insurance than somethings that's just cheap after scouring 'price comparison' sites, saves me £50 but I loose £5k in a claim :)
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Natz1984 wrote: »
    Hi Siharris28

Sorry to say but you will find that 99.9% of home insurers have the 'trace and access' exclusion. Sainsbury's claims are dealt with by Halifax home insurance.

Also, having dealt with the Sainsbury's brand before it is written in the policy booklet. I can't remember where abouts in the booklet it is, as I now work for another insurer and haven't dealt with the Sainsbury's brand for over 2 years but I know it's definitely in there. I can't imagine they've changed the policy booklets a great deal.

You mention Prudential and Nationwide in your original post. I don't know about Nationwide as i've never dealt with that brand but Prudential definitely also has the same exclusion. I'm willing to bet Nationwide will be the same.

Hope that helps.

It's more like 50% of companies include Trace and Access now days
  • dacouch
    Options
    25 brands is what it is they are white labelled products but from the same three companies, by the look of it HBOS and RBS.

There are plenty of companies that include Trace and Access, you'll find RBS and even HBOS will get around to including it at some point to keep up with the rest of the market
  • dacouch
    Options
    Natz1984 wrote: »
    Well regardless of who is right and who is wrong, I guess the moral is for people to check the insurance they've taken has the cover required and meets their needs. Sainsbury's policies definitely don't cover trace and access, which is who the original poster I replied to was insured with.

Thats good advice as there are certainly more policies that include Trace and Access than the 1 in 1000 you mentioned and claims on it are generally for a few thousand pounds so it can be well worth having
  • dacouch
    Options
    I was not being sarcastic, it is important to try and keep the advice on this forum accurate. You in effect stated it is very very rare to have trace and access cover and then stated your in the industry. The OP and other people reading this could take this as gospal when it is not quite right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure