PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spring Cleaning the Freezers - 52 days on £70

Comments

• donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Super cheap pizza base:

155g self-raising flour
    185g Greek yogurt

First, pour self-raising flour into a bowl (no need to sift!), add yogurt mix, no need to prove, just roll and add toppings

super easy to make, no proving time, taste delish
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I might turn into a sausage by the end of this challenge:eek:

I couldn't find the chorizo in the freezer last night to get out to defrost ready for tonight's risotto, DH thinks we've eaten it :( Not to worry, I thought we will have Friday's pasta only to realise we have finished the cheese so it will have to be sausages again :cool:

At least I didn't a) buy any cheese when I can pick some up free with my dinner allowance on Friday b) buy something at the shop for tea c) find an excuse for a takeaway

I did pick up a 6 pack of crisps with my lunch allowance so will add this to my total.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • XSpender
    8 days of the challenge completed and this is the results so far:

TOTAL SPENT - £14.01
    AMOUNT LEFT - £55.99
    DAYS REMAINING - 44
    WORK ALLOWANCES £4.00
  • Here is one of our staple curry recipes - using ingredients you have on your lists.
    • Prepare half a butternut squash into pieces about the size of two stamps next to each other. I don't peel mine if I am roasting but I do when I do this recipe.
    • Slice your onion - (your list says sliced) it doesn't matter how but just for the presentation I cut slices from root to tip rather than rings
    • Fry the onions in a little hot oil then add the butternut squash and give it a minute or two, making sure it doesn't stick too much (but the sticky caramelised bits are the best bits) then stir in some curry paste - I usually do a good tablespoon and then slacken slightly with a bit of water.
    • Add a tin of drained chickpeas and stir so everything is coated in the sauce.
    • cover for about five minutes so the butternut squash is starting to cook in the steam and while your oven warms up.
    • I then give it a good stir, add a bit more water and then put it on the floor of the oven (200c) without a lid for 25 minutes
    • While it is cooking I cook the rice or make flatbreads - donnajt's pizza base is also a good flatbread recipe - wipe a pan with oil on a paper towel then heat and dry fry the breads.
    • If the curry is looking stuck on and a bit burnt, stir in some cold water and the mixture will lift and add to the flavour. I rarely add meat or fish to this one as we like it on its own but you could - I would use cooked meat and just add cubes at the last minute to heat through.

If you want to make a soup, to use up the rest of the squash, cook all the butternut squash and double the onion quantity as per the recipe but roast them on their own, with oil, salt and pepper, then add water or stock to get the bits to come off the pan and whizz. I add a shake of tabasco and season to taste
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • XSpender
    Suffolk Lass - my DH will love that curry and it is perfect for his lunches so will add it to my 'cook-up' list for this weekend for eating next week.

I am away this afternoon until Friday afternoon with work so have left DH a fridge full of home made meals, some ham and bread so he shouldn't starve. My lists wont be going down much though :(

I will make some more flapjack for us both and I will use up some leftovers from last night for my lunch.

I will have 2 lunch allowances and a dinner allowance (possibly 2 if I don't make it my destination in time) to use to buy food to eat and some extra bits and bobs. Lurpak, bananas, oats, cheese, squash and rooibos tea are on my list as these are all things I have run out of or are getting low on.
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 3:13PM
    Cheap & easy recipes:
    • Use the meat from those burgers, a pasta sauce, and the spaghetti & you have a great Spag. Bol.?
    • likewise with the sausage meat (skin the sausages & use the meat) - make meatballs & serve with pasta/spaghetti? (make a change from "proper" sausages).
    • Pop that beef brisket on a slow roast? or in a slow cooker with veg & spuds?
    • Salmon & Pea Risotto? (use the couple of Salmon Steaks & a handful of frozen peas)
    • Make Kebabs with those chicken breasts?

(apologies if you've had these before, and you can make these without buying anything else - and if you DO have to buy anything, check for coupons, and look in the "whoops" aisles)
  • XSpender
    onesixfive wrote: »
    Cheap & easy recipes:
    • Use the meat from those burgers, a pasta sauce, and the spaghetti & you have a great Spag. Bol.?
    • likewise with the sausage meat (skin the sausages & use the meat) - make meatballs & serve with pasta/spaghetti? (make a change from "proper" sausages).
    • Pop that beef brisket on a slow roast? or in a slow cooker with veg & spuds?
    • Salmon & Pea Risotto? (use the couple of Salmon Steaks & a handful of frozen peas)
    • Make Kebabs with those chicken breasts?

(apologies if you've had these before, and you can make these without buying anything else - and if you DO have to buy anything, check for coupons, and look in the "whoops" aisles)

Great ideas onesixfive. Thanks.
  • Good idea! Here is my list..

FREEZER

1/2 bag of turkey dinosaurs
    1x bag of cheese hamwiches
    1x bag of 38 chicken dippers
    1x box of 10 chicken dippers
    1x box of chicken popstars
    1x box of 10 fish cakes
    1x box of 10 fish fingers
    2x 4 packs of Lancashire hotpots
    1x bag of oven chips
    1/2 bag of potato smileys
    1x bag of potato letters

CUPBOARD

Jars of..

Jam
    Lemon curd
    Peanut butter

1/2 box of Rice Krispies
    4x individual variety pack sized cereal boxes
    1x box of Ready Brek
    18x porridge sachets
    2x porridge pots
    1x tin of custard
    1x tin of rice pudding
    4x cake making kits
    5x pasta 'snap pots'
    2x tins of spaghetti hoops
    1x 'fridge pack' of beans
    2x tins of new potatoes
    1x bag of pasta
    1x pack of spaghetti
    8x individual portions of 'boil in a bag' rice
    2x tins of tomato soup
    2x tins of chunky soup

1x tub of cornflour
    1x tub of gravy granules
    Some OXO cubes
    1x table salt
    1x bottle of mayonnaise
    1x bottle of tomato ketchup
    1x bottle of Worcester sauce
  • Also

FREEZER

1x bag of carrot and potato waffles

Cupboard

1x pasta in sauce sachet
    1x pasta ready meal
  • Hi all, been following the thread with interest. There has been some very inventive cooking happening and some great recipes shared. I'm going to go back through over the weekend and start to write my menu plan for march, with some of the recipes shared here.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family