Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Comments

• sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My hubbs is retiring in 10 days and I am really worried about how he is going to cope . I know it is going to be hard on times, am just hoping he adjusts as well as you have , I am reading through your thread slowly to find some tips lol . Thanks for writing this I am sure it will help a lot of people .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • fatbeetle
    fatbeetle Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    The OP must be enjoying his retirement too much to post here... :-D
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 October 2017 at 10:24PM
    fatbeetle wrote: »
    The OP must be enjoying his retirement too much to post here... :-D

Unfortunately not going quite as planned. On the positive side I do feel more rested. Have completed preparing garden for the winter and the house is all sorted. However Grandma now needs a lot of care at 102. My mother has just had knee replacement surgery and is limited in what she can for 6 weeks. Several months before near normality. Therefore free time outside the house severely limited at the moment. I do manage to walk the dogs daily in the forest though. Have Gibraltar and Cyprus to look forward to next year. Hopefully by January will be able to do a bit more. Probably a good thing I retired as managing all this would have been difficult even if working part-time. I have been accepted as exam invigilator at my school and have training in November. I have a sort of casual contact with them that could mean various roles for short periods of time. Finances going well at moment. Even managing to save some.
    Best wishes to all.
  • fatbeetle
    Nice one Paul, and much respect for looking after your family.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,162 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Ditto fatbeetle. Being retired does mean you can deal with family needs without impacting on others at work. They would still need your support if you were working!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've been "retired" nearly 6 weeks now and don't regret it, not for one second, I have no idea how or why I stuck at it so long.

I spent the last bit of summer sorting out the garden and for the last couple of weeks have been decorating, and will continue decorating and seeing to home DIY until spring next year, when it will be gardening time again.

Financially I'm better off now than I was when I stopped working, having taken my last pension early, also took the maximum lump sum available.

I have no plans for holidays, they just don't interest me. Just being able to do my own "stuff" is like a lifelong holiday for me :)
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    I retired about eighteen months ago - on my 65th birthday. I advised them about six-months prior. I suppose I could have stayed a bit longer, but with 'changes' to come - glad I didn't.
    The final couple of days, I used up my holidays with, but went in for an hour on the last day, to hand in a few things, and to go around saying good-bye to people I missed before.

I miss the place and colleagues - feel for them with the place closing soon. But don't seem some of the rude entitled customers!

Time occupied with cat, fish, garden, Partner and PC.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just an update , hubbs is ok atm, tbh we have not had 2 mins to spare !!
    I was worried about him feeling down and missing the job but he said to me today the feeling of not having to think about work is great! Even though he was very happy in his work I think it must come as a relief to just be in the moment and not have to prepare for work . I was not happy with all my job entailed so the wrench for me wasn't so bad I think.So far so good!!
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • fatbeetle
    22 working days to go....

Not that I'm counting or anything.....
  • I retired in the Spring, and like Excelpaul this has allowed me to assist with a couple of family crises, except that these have been overseas and support would have been remote had I still been working. Instead I was able to travel and stay for as long as needed. I'm now about to have the original visits that had been planned and booked months ago.

I don't miss work at all, it had become very taxing, and I had a toxic line manager. Not at all bothered by being on a slender budget. Health and happiness are entirely achievable if the basics are covered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure