PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2016

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Good Morning chums ,yesterday I
    Mended : a button that was about to fall of my winter coat.
    Minimised : a bit of the wool stash to my friend who came to visit for lunch, it was a dark maroon/red and she said she could use it in her crocheting. I had been given it ages ago so it was a freebie anyway
    Made a crustless quiche for our lunch, which was really nice and used up some bacon bits from the freezer and some mexican chilli flavoured cheese also from the freezer, so we had a nice spicy taste to our lunch :)
    Today I am out and about in the morning to a coffee morning for U3A, then tonight its quiz night at the local pub and I get supper in with the price of the quiz ,so a really good night out for £2.00.So not a lot of MMMing today
    Have a good day chums
    JackieO
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hello and good morning all you fellow MMMers, today DD has her scan so I'm in charge of DGS. When it's for the chemist to open we're off to order our medications so they'll be ready for when we get back from our Easter break.
    Make do eating the 2nd half of the quiche tonight with jacket potato and baked bean or we may have wedges.
    Mend moving a button on some trousers they keep dropping on the waist then a little too long, so if I move the button they will keep up better.
    Minimise the length of the front lawn today, it's a very large garden and takes ages. Hope the weather holds as I won't be home until later and it's over cast at the moment.
    Have a good day and hugs to those who need one. x
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • FunBrum
    FunBrum Posts: 716
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi JackieO can you tell me how to make a crustless quiche please?Sounds yummy!:D

JoJo 77. You are doing really well! I like the sound of the cosytoes!:T
    Living a frugal retirement without treading on the planet :T
    Womble #17- £2,018.41 €2
    TURTLES NSD's 01/31
    FLC £3000/£2,328.12
    CCCC2016 #10 £19 monthly spends on clothes
    Wombled nectar points=728 Wombled Boots points=316
  • big5
    big5 Posts: 370 Forumite
    Not much mending or minimising to report this week. The cover for our mini greenhouse was badly ripped and beyond repair, so we bought a new cover which at least was cheaper than replacing the whole thing. Have planted tomato, spinach, courgette, carrot, pepper and spring onion seeds, making do with seeds, pots and trays we already had (needed to buy some compost though). We want to teach our almost 3yr old about where food comes from, he was in charge of watering the rhubarb last year which did really well, so might get him doing more this year!

Made myself a smoothie for breakfast with some rather sorry looking fruit that was lurking at the bottom of the fruit bowl. And we had the last of the YS rolls out of the freezer for lunch. Need to have a rummage now and see what's for dinner! Have a good evening everyone!
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Hope all are well.

Just had a finishing and sewing up session so 4 scbu hats sewn up, a little bird and a nest knitted and crocheted, a button sewn on a toddler hat.
    Got another bird to knit tonight while happy Valley is on then they can go to school to decorate a fake tree in a corridor.

Will make shepherds pie for tea from stuff we have in.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Took a load of old glasses to Specsavers for them to recycle, think they go overseas to poor places like Africa, glad to help.

Gave a load of newspapers to a friend for their guinea pig cages.

Took my daughter's boots to be mended.

Couldn't take the stuff to the charity shop, too heavy, but that's on the list for Friday!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    FunBrum wrote: »
    Hi JackieO can you tell me how to make a crustless quiche please?Sounds yummy!:D
    QUOTE]

I adapted a SW recipe

6 eggs (I buy them locally from my butchers 99p)
    300gms value cottage cheese

Beat the eggs and cheese together, I then added to the mix some mexican spicy chilli cheese that I had in my freezer grated up.
    Some crispy cooked bacon bits, and some left over cooked diced up brocccoli .You can chuck anything in you fancy really, diced pepper or a spring onion or two diced up small is nice as well.
    Throw the lot into a flan dish and top with sliced up tomato.cook at 190c until set.
    Slices up beautifully and is delicious with salad or jacket spud .Cheap as chips, and twice and filling and fairly healthy as well. Great if you haven't got time or inclination to make pastry. Good way to use up left over veg as well
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    misstara wrote: »
    meritatan do you have the recipe for the flatbreads please? Am always on the lookout for different gluten free recipes.

Fairyprincess hugs, hope your dad and OH are ok.

JoJo7 welcome to the thread :)

Work has been stressful the last couple of days so glad I've got the day off tomorrow. OH said I was looking really tired earlier so planning an early night and then hopefully a long lie in the morning. Not much MMMing to report as I've been busy but got a couple of bits of mending which need done so will do those tomorrow. I'm out for tea with the girls tomorrow (with a 2-for-1 voucher so it should be cheap :)) really looking forward to it as it's been about 6 months since we were all last together.

no recipe needed really - its simply a quantity of gram/chickpea flour, some salt and pepper mixed with water to a batter (about the same consistency as for pancakes), leave for a few hours or preferably overnight to allow the gram flour to absorb the water and thicken the batter. then pour into a frying pan lightly greased with a little oil or ghee. pour in about two or three times as much as for pancakes and over a low to medium heat cook gently until both sides are browned.
    I added some mixed herbs to mine and couldn't believe how delicious it was. I plan on adding some garlic powder as well next time to make garlic and herb flatbreads. In texture and taste they are very much like naan bread.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    I just made up enough of the batter to make a couple of flatbreads tomorrow for my lunch. Added the garlic powder and mixed herbs. it took me about two minutes! its now resting in the fridge.
    I bought the gram flour to make onion bhajis and searched tinternet to find a recipe - they ranged from very simple to complicated so I sort of made up my own recipe using what I fancied from the different stated ingredients. I made them for my grandsons 18th birthday buffet lunch and all disappeared within minutes with everyone commenting on how much nicer they were than 'shop-bought'.
    if anyone is interested, just say, and I will post MY recipe.
  • CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh and I forgot- I gave a big pile of used postage stamps to my friend for the charity box at work. Just remembered I'd better text her as I just shoved it through the door in a blank envelope, she'll wonder where it's from!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure