mooncup (Merged Discussion Thread)

Comments

• rackstar
    rackstar Posts: 85 Forumite
    Don't think so. Apparently they have been around for about 80 years.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I keep looking at the pic and chickening out. What do you do when your in a public loo and it needs emptying? Surely you dont stand at the sink to empty it?

Also how does cutting the stem off make it better? Surely you cant grab hold of it?

I'm using washable pads at the moment and I've found them to be lovely.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Ghost
    Ghost Posts: 313 Forumite
    kgwc2005 wrote:
    Must admit, a friend recommended it yonks ago, I went to the website, read about it, thought yeeuk no way and left it ... wasn't til I heard a bunch of converts on another website raving about it that I revisited the idea.
    I like the idea in principle but can't get past the yeeuk factor! I think I'll stick to my organic 100% cotton tampons for now.
    "He who asks questions cannot avoid the answers"
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    I'm thinking about investing in this too. Anyone had problems with leakage at all?? Either when wearing or when removing?
    I tried the mooncup for about 6 months and got fed up with leakage problems. I am plagued by very heavy periods (and we're talking mega heavy) and the mooncup just couldn't cope on my bad days and nights (sorry if tmi, but it wasn't particularly down to it filling up and leaking but also due to it slipping out of position as wasn't able to form an adequate seal due to the moist conditions!!). Drove me mad in the end, so gave up on it pretty much, although I do sometimes use it on my lighter days. I did try emailing them and tried everything they suggested, but nothing worked. So if you're unlucky enough to suffer with heavy periods be prepared that you might not find it as life changing as most other users.

Fortunately don't have to use anything at all for now as I'm pregnant - lovely to be period free for 9 months! :j
  • Ghost
    Ghost Posts: 313 Forumite
    Fortunately don't have to use anything at all for now as I'm pregnant - lovely to be period free for 9 months! :j
    CONGRATULATIONS! :dance:
    "He who asks questions cannot avoid the answers"
  • holstar
    holstar Posts: 826 Forumite
    What do you do when your in a public loo and it needs emptying? Surely you dont stand at the sink to empty it?

Also how does cutting the stem off make it better? Surely you cant grab hold of it?

in public loos...empty it down the toilet...wipe round with some loo roll. If you have a bottle of water in your bag you could use a bit of that to give it a bit of a rinse if you wanted to.
    Doesnt matter if its not 100% cleaned each time, just give it a better rinse next time you change it at home.
    Also, they dont need to be emptied as frequently as tampons/pads need changing (although obviously depends on your periods being light/heavy etc) so its much less a problem.

Cutting off stem....if you don't cut it off the end might rub/chafe in areas where you dont particularly want chafing :eek: You get it out by combination of using muscles and sliding your fingers further up....when I tried *just* pulling the stem 1) it didnt come out very well...took aaaaaaaaages and was uncomfortable, and 2) angle of wrist and amount of force needed to pull it out gave me pains in my wrist..
    different people do different things with stem...some leave it, most cut bits off, some cut it all off....just depends what is most comfortable for you.
    ...whereas to me, the idea of washable pads is foul!

guess it all depends on what you feel comfortable with

good luck if you do go for it though...i think mines FAB :rotfl:
    One thing...that sets pulses racing...that gets hearts pounding...for which there is no substitute...only YOU can provide...blood.

Only 5% of the eligible population give blood: do something amazing today, save a life, give blood
  • purplepatch
    I keep looking at the pic and chickening out. What do you do when your in a public loo and it needs emptying? Surely you dont stand at the sink to empty it?

As long as you give it a good clean whenever you can (you have to sterilise it between periods), it doesn't hurt to just empty it into the loo and just give it a wipe over with toilet roll. Obviously wash your hands thoroughly before and after changing. I would carry a small pack of wipes in my bag so that I could do a more thorough job.

Cutting the stem off makes it more comfortable to wear and it isn't that hard to reach in a bit with thumb and forefinger (bearing down pushes it down a bit if necessary, but you aren't meant to insert it high up anyway), then pinch it and remove. Honestly, it isn't difficult.
  • super41
    super41 Posts: 245 Forumite

If you'd like to and are able to why not breastfeed and then you can get even longer without periods! I was free for almost 2 years and its great - a real pain when they resume though.

Good luck with your pregnancy!
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks, I might give it a go :o
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • purplepatch
    super41 wrote:
    If you'd like to and are able to why not breastfeed and then you can get even longer without periods! I was free for almost 2 years and its great - a real pain when they resume though.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

Thanks, it is actually my second and although I tried valiantly to breastfeed my daughter, I had very little success. Had a c section so that didn't help, but my boobs got in a worse state than my scar!! Agony!!!

:eek:

Saying that, I will give it another go with number two, but will have a supply of bottles at the ready this time. And won't beat myself up with guilt this time either! :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure