MOT fail - advice

Options
Hi just looking for any advice. I am a learner driver and was got my first car 6months ago to practise in however my car has just been for its mot and failed on a number of things and to be honest I am clueless about cars and have no one close to me I can ask. So just wondering if anyone give give me an idea of how much it'll cost to fix whilst I wait to hear back from garage.

Failures are;
Off side front anti-roll bar has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.g.2)

Offside coil spring broken and nearside front (2.4.c.1a)

Parking brake leaver has no reserve travel (3.1.6b)

Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.b.7)

Comments

• Aimees_2
    Options
    Should of added car it's a 58plate VW polo diseal
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Two front springs and the anti roll bar link will be about £100 in parts. Hours labour on top. Expect to pay £150 to £200 at an independent garage.

Brakes depends on what's causing the problem. If drum brakes at rear it could just Need the brake assemble cleaning and adjusting, worst case new shoes so £100 all in at an independent. If disc brakes it could need a new caliper plus discs and pads so £200 to £250 all in.

Welcome to the joys of car ownership.
  • markudman
    markudman Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    angrycrow wrote: »
    Two front springs and the anti roll bar link will be about £100 in parts. Hours labour on top. Expect to pay £150 to £200 at an independent garage.

Brakes depends on what's causing the problem. If drum brakes at rear it could just Need the brake assemble cleaning and adjusting, worst case new shoes so £100 all in at an independent. If disc brakes it could need a new caliper plus discs and pads so £200 to £250 all in.

Welcome to the joys of car ownership.

Agree, its only serviceable items, the last few years I have been doing more and more coil springs, I think it has to do with sleeping policeman and pot holes.
    We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    markudman wrote: »
    Agree, its only serviceable items, the last few years I have been doing more and more coil springs, I think it has to do with sleeping policeman and pot holes.

That and modern springs being stressed within an inch of their lives in the perpetual quest for weight saving. Thinner springs made of more complex alloys and harder tempers leaves much less safety margin for corrosion or damage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure